main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Site Discussion Thread: Confirmed Characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Mace Windy, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bid4Tuna

Bid4Tuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    ya i think that iz pretty kewl too

2. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    This is really strange, but it seems a couple of characters (who only made the cutting room floor in AotC) are returning. Very, very interesting :) Discuss!

3. CCK

CCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    do you think chewbacca will have a major role or a cameo? will there be other wookies?

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'm hoping that good ol' Chewie doesn't have much more than a cameo, or at most, a minor role (I'm thinking about Captain Typho-size).

Episode III should be wrapping stuff up, not inserting new major characters at this point.

Thus, I do not really understand why Padme's family is being recast. If you're not going to show them in AOTC, what's the point of showing them in Ep. III?

I thought the deleted scenes with her family were pretty good - they added to Padme's depth, and Lucas could have easily cut down say, the Sound of Music scene.

Maybe her family goes with her to Alderaan. Maybe her family gets killed and she blames Anakin.

I'm totally just throwing out ideas here [face_laugh].

5. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    i hope chewie leads a small band of wookies in a fight against clones, aided by a few jedi, that would be tight, jedi and wookies, together......yeah thatd be real kewl

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Her family should get killed. It would be more drama. And plus, I want this film to be way gloomy ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    But since we were not introduced to these characters in a previous film, thier deaths would not have much of an impact on the audience. Sure we would feel bad for Padmé, but that same effect could be achived in a scene where she simply recieves a message that her family has been killed. Unless they are going to do something that is integal to the plot that could not be done in another way, I don't know why they are coming back.

8. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    The inclusion of Padme's family into Episode III gives me hope that maybe Lucas will re-insert the "Padme Family Scene" back into Attack of the Clones. Lucas loved that family scene but deleted it because he felt it slowed down the film.

9. CCK

CCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    maybe they're in the birth scene...or maybe chewie delivers the twins...haw haw

10. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    What do you guys make of the new guy?

I'm not too sure what to think of him/it... ?[face_plain]

EDIT: Except that the eye looks like this. Back for revenge! :p

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Wow.. so Grevious is definitely confirmed.

The press release also says Hyperspace members will get a "closer look" this week. Perhaps a BTH photo?

I like the idea that he's part man, part machine... good intro to Vader. But the name "Grevious"? Sheesh... I remember way back in the day when that name first broke, many people were like "yeah, right" because it's just a little ridiculous.

12. Tee-Sin_Quay

Tee-Sin_Quay Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't like this.

I mean ok so we now know who this General is but does he have to be basically a Vader clone? *sigh*

Ok I know dont knock it until you actually see it. The only thing I dont like the sound of is this guy can kill Jedi like that *clicks fingers*. Kinda cheapens Vader and the Jedi Purge.

I'll wait to see what Hyperspace reveals.

13. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, now I can finally look up on some stuff for this General guy. Like those artistic impressions they posted a couple months ago.

*goes off to look*

Woo...freaky looking guy. I'd heard the name, but not the "Grievous" bit, or how he looked. Weird...I'll have to think about the name for a while, see if I can get used to it or not. It's been that way for several things with Lucas, the name of 'Jango Fett' being one off the top of my head that I had to get used to (love it now). Novel design, I'll be very interested to see what he's like in action.

14. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    The only thing I dont like the sound of is this guy can kill Jedi like that *clicks fingers*. Kinda cheapens Vader and the Jedi Purge.

Possibly. We'll have to see how GL plays it out. He could be raising the bar quite a bit, so if say Anakin were to take him out, it would be a real demonstration of Anakin's power.

15. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I could see that someone like the General would be extremely useful for Palpatine. Hasn't the problem of how he and Vader could eliminate all of the Jedi (nearly) been one that we've always wanted to see resolved.

An army can do a certain amount, sure...but someone, something like Grevious would be handy as well. In fact, it kinda puts Vader into a new light, possibly...hmmm, gonna be interested to see where Lucas goes with this.

16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Interesting....you know I have that thread "Will Obi-Wan be skilled enough to make The Duel believable?"

Well, we're all guessing Anakin offs Dooku and probably Mace.

If Obi-Wan kills this villain who can do away with Jedi like they were nothing, he'll look pretty damn powerful.

17. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Hey, that's a good point. If this Grevious can be made to look like a real Jedi-killer, than it provides a new worthy opponent for Obi-Wan to take down.

18. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Hmm... interesting. I like the idea of Obi-Wan taking him out... and he has to be killed off eventually, unless they want him for the E- but I hope not.

I wonder if he's the one to take out Mace (if it's not Anakin then it seems quite plausible)...

19. DarthStinkyBritches

DarthStinkyBritches Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    Kinda cheapens Vader and the Jedi Purge.

I don't see how, considering we know nothing of the "purge". Besides maybe what some EU author might have said, but that would have no effect on how it could possibly play out in the movie.

If I'm not mistaken, and please correct me if I'm wrong. In ANH Obi-Wan said Vader helped the Empire hunt down the jedi. The key word being "helped". I'll double check when I gets home.

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    That's what I thought ("helped hunt down").

If you couldn't "zoom" in on the pic of Grievous on the OS, you can now (I couldn't before).

I actually think he could be a pretty cool character - we've never seen an EVIL intelligent droid so far in the GFFA - they tend to be either like Artoo, Threepio, or dumb like the TF droids.

Don't get me wrongo, I doubt he (it?) will be as compelling as Dooku or anything, but Grievous should be fun to watch.

Here's some more speculation:

didn't we see a BTH from a while back about some new weapon that droids would carry that would be effective against a Jedi?

It's from BTH for December 18th - a weapon designed to be effective against Jedi in one-on-one situations.

Maybe Grievous will be using these weapons against Jedi lightsabers?

Maybe the General has a platoon of uber-droids carrying these weapons?

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    And I suppose since the OS has now officially announced the existence of General Grievous, I can point out that there are icons for use with his pic (From Boba Fett #5).

If that IS how Grievous will look in the final movie (which may or may not happen), he looks pretty cool - kind of mysterious, which is impressive considering he's a robot...or whatever.

For some reason he reminds me of Ultron from the old Marvel Secret Wars series...

anyway, I can see with some of the new icons, there's going to be another argument in this forum over spoiler issues.

22. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Yeah, I've noticed a couple people using the Grevious icons in other forums already. Think the cat's out of the bag with this one.

But then, as soon as it's officially confirmed, the policy has always been to not censor it anymore. It's just tough for the real hardcore no-spoilers-at-all guys.

RS77, interesting point...the general assumption has been that Anakin would kill Mace, but if Grevious can look impressive enough as a Jedi-killer...

There could be a situation where Grevious kills Mace, then is destroyed/killed in a vengeful rage by Anakin instead. Jackson wanted to die an impressive death, which brings Anakin/Vader to mind, but perhaps Grevious could fill this role instead. Hmm.

Oh, and as far as I know (which is the artistic impressions and that OS entry), he's half-alien half-droid...Vader prototype anyone? ;)

23. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, bottom line of all this is, we have a powerful new player on the board with Grevious. We know he can't survive Ep3, so he represents both an impressive death or an impressive victory for any of the major Jedi.
    All adds to the mix.

24. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    I assume I can print this...it's from KaaShamau's link to the OS, so it should be fine...

In Attack of the Clones, we saw that former Jedi Count Dooku was the political leader behind the Separatists movement and instigator of the Clone Wars," says McCallum. "In Episode III, we'll meet General Grievous, the military leader of all the Separatist armies. He's part alien and part robot. Grievous is a master strategist and the greatest hand-to-hand Jedi killer the galaxy has ever known."

Gotta get the hang of spelling his name right :p I'm warming to it...reminds me of Maul and Tyrannus, even though this guy's not a Sith.

25. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    He does seem a bit cartoony. But the only official pictures of him I've seen are both cartoons...so maybe that's why.

He could be cool if done right. I suspect ILM will do him justice, and he'll look better as a finished product in the movies than as a cartoon. He's going to need a menacing, evil voice to go along with the four lightsabers on his belt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.