main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL~SMALLVILLE Discussion thread. (Spoilers Galore)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediPriestess, Jan 4, 2006.

1. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    hmmmm Well I see we are in agreement then. (I too like "Hulk" by the way. I though he looked way better than Gollum). Spider Man: no thanks. Spider Man 2: liked it better when it was Superman 2. hehe

I know what your saying though..a lot of people didn't like that, but I thought it was such a cool scene..it never really bothered me. I can deal with Superman 3 (only in small doses and a lot of fast forwarding) but 4 is really awful; even with Reeve.

This season of Smallville has been great, I hope it doesn't lose something after the 100th episode. That is gonna be a great show..and could be the best in five years..How do you maintain after such a climax. I hope it can do it.

2. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Hmm I saw this posted tonight on the K-Site....wonder what this does to the whole time travel thingy we've been hearing about. Sheesh I'l be glad when the damn episodes airs tonight.

jonathan has a heart attack in the episode and is alive when he is at the fortress of solitude. As clark is appealing for help, jor el tells clark to choose who will die...
    Jonathon VolunteerS and sacrifices himself. (His heart is too weak to last even if clark chose him to live).. It should turn out to be great way for jonathan to go out.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Jonathan would do that, but we all know that Clark isn't never fond of anyone else dying for him. It's always been with him that it should be he that dies, if someone is to die.

As to the whole time travel thing in the first film, there's a rumor that we were supposed to see two versions of Superman. The first one who saved Lois in time, while the other repaired the damage done by the Earthquake so that it wasn't as catastrophic. One version would fade out while the other remained. *shrugs*. Basically the films made the time travel different from the way it was presented in the comics at the time. He could travel into the past, but would turn into a phantom observer to prevent him from interfering with the past. He could travel to the future and interact with his descenents and the Legion Of Super-Heroes. From 1986 on, he couldn't travel on his own power. He needed to have someone take him through time, like Waverider or the Futuresmiths. Otherwise he could do it by absorbing vast amounts of chronal engery and then be hit by a powerful explosion, which would send him through time. This would go on until the energy was spent up.

4. TARKINS_FOUL_STENCH

TARKINS_FOUL_STENCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2005
    No time travel, just a crystal to grab at the Fortress? No running around the Earth to make amends for what has happened? And to top it all off, no Pa Kent at the Fortress? Sad. Very Sad. 100th episode??? Crap. A bunch of crap. They couldn?t do anything of importance but create an anger in Clark, so they kill his Dad off. Cop out if you ask me. Lame way of going about it. ?Oh, all of the sudden my heart is hurting because Lionel is threatening my family and I fall over dead.? Cheap. For 35 minutes they make it seem like Lana, the whole marriage thing is a sham, and now is Lex Senator by default, or is the whole Senate thing dropped now? They let me down. Sorry if it shows. But I?ll still watch next week.

R.I.P. Bo Duke, you will be missed.

5. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    WOW, are we bitter? I loved the epi myself. :)

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i loved it. very emotional.

if there were a perfect scene for pete to make a cameo the funeral scene at the end would've been it

7. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, I was thinking the same thing! But apparently Sam Jones' schedule didn't allow for it. Bummer.

Wow, you must not have seen the same episode I did! I loved it, I thought it was just heartwrenching. And it's not like they haven't well-established Jonathan's heart problems. And whatever is in the picture must be pretty damn incriminating for Clark. That's like Jonathan's worst nightmare come to life. I'll miss Pa Kent as well, but I'm really glad it wasn't Chloe!

As much as I really have grown to dislike Lana's character, I still thought it was very cool how they had Clark flying after they got to the fortress and how he made the ring up for her. That was just awesome.

I did think the Lois almost getting electrocuted scene was just a tad lame. Were we supposed to think that suddenly she was 'the one'? Heh, I don't think anyone would have bought that.

The part with Clark and Martha getting ready for the funeral where he's helping her put the necklace on was where I really got tears in my eyes. It was just so haunting!

But I also took note of the way Lionel looked at Martha as he passed behind her. He is SO going to put the moves on her, you can just see it!

Loved the Lex/Lana scene, although I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to see a Clark/Lex confrontation. I was rather surprised that they came back from that commercial break with Clark already in the Fortress. What happened? How long had it been? Was Lana officially pronounced dead or what?

Still, overall, I thought it was an excellent 100th episode and I can't wait to see where the show goes from here!

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    The ending was well done. Anytime Peter Gabriel is added to the soundtrack he elevates all material.

I was a bit disappointed to see Pa Kent go, but it's more in keeping with the movies. I love that Clark leaps tall buildings in a single bound instead of flying, and the hoage to the movies with him crushing that coal into a diamond.

9. TARKINS_FOUL_STENCH

TARKINS_FOUL_STENCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2005
    I agree that the ending was good, but it should have been Lana in that casket, not Clark's father. And I'm not bitter about anything, it's just that a really good episode could have been the best that they've ever had.

This show has broke new ground before and they had the chance to do it again with the death of Lana. That would have been more powerful than the death of Pa Kent.

Pa Kent has survived so much and it seemed cheap that one little scrap with Lionel would put him in his grave.

1st half of the show = great

2nd half of the show = crap

It all seemed like a cop out to me.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Smallville is leaving itself as open as possible, to kinda match up to the films. The idea is that even if you haven't watched the first two Superman films, you can come in from Smallville to watch Superman Returns. That's why Millar and Gough visited the production last summer and made sure that their Daily Planet and the Fortress matched up in many respects. The new film will have the Daily Planet globe, just like Smallville does.

11. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Here are my thoughts on the 100th episode:

Wow! I knew Smallville was good, I just didn't think it was that good! I'm giving this episode the 10+ it deserves.

Great way to start the beginning. I wasn't sure if it was "real or just a dream." I was glad that it wasn't a dream. The Clana moments from the time at Clark's loft to the fortress were just amazing! Loved how Clark turned the piece of coal into a diamond. (now that reference in the final episode of Roswell mean's more to me. )

The scene at the Talon was great. How Mr. Kent became the Senator. Got mad at Lana though for going over to Lex's. I had a feeling it would end badly. He seriously was drunk for doing what he had done; being one of the causes for Lana's "death". Poor Clark. Having to have just recently gotten engaged and then have it all taken away in an instant.

The scene when Clark went back to the F.O.S. to try to set things right was really intense. Loved however, the thing that Jor-El talked about there having to be a balance. One life for another.

The scene at the Daily Planet, when Chloe took Clark into a seperate room was cool. Loved the comment she made to him about what he was going to do, something about spinning the world on its axis. Nice foreshadow!

Poor Clark. He lost either way. Had he chosen not to take the crystal he would've lost someone he loved. But either way by taking the crystal he lost more than just his father, he lost Lana too.

And don't even get me started on the funeral scene! It was so sad.

This, in my opinion, was the most emotional episode in the history of Smallville! Definately worthy of being the 100th episode.

I've enjoyed every season 5 Smallville episode and tonight just proved to me how great a ride it's actually been. Can't wait to get season 5 on DVD!

12. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    this just in and is subject to change thanx to the spoiler peeps at TRA

rest of the year schedule

2/2 #5-13 "Vengeance"
    2/9 #5-14 "Tomb"
    2/16 #5-15 "Cyborg"
    HIATUS
    3/30 #5-16 "Hypnotic"
    4/6 #5-17 "Void"
    4/13 #5-18 "Fragile"
    4/20 #5-19 *Welling Directorial Debut*
    4/27 #5-20
    5/4 #5-21
    5/11 #5-22
    5/18 #5-23 Season Finale part 1
    5/25 #5-24 Season Finale part 2

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    24 episodes this season. hmmm. wasn't last season only 22? i could see the finale being 2 episodes w/ them bringing in Zod

14. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    What can i add... what can i add?
    How about the fact that Michael Rosenbaum makes one hot drunky!? From the second I saw that bottle of booze in his hand I knew this was gonna end badly. If they had played up Lana's death a bit more I think I would've started crying. I twitched when I saw the blood on Clark's hand, that's for sure.
    But something about the episode just didn't click with me. First of all, I got the feeling he told Lana the truth just to have her stay with him. Clark has been this irresponsable before. He told Sam the truth just so they could still be friends. Meaning, out of desperation and as a last resort. You shouldn't tell someone a secret like that out of desperation. But Clark is being constantly portrayed as phisically strong, but emotionally weak. The first thing he does after Lana dies is to go complain to his father. It's the very next scene! And then he gets a second chance.
    Real life doesn't work that way. Jonathan's heart attack is the kind of stuff that happens in real life and it's a shame that's what had to happen to finally make Clark grow up. Which is what I pray will happen.

15. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Really? I didn't see it that way. Clark and Lana have loved each other pretty much since they were kids. Sure Clark could've told Lana the truth many times before but I can understand his point of view. I mean if you had a secret like that wouldn't you be afraid to tell? Afraid that if this is a person who you believe you trust, who might betray that trust in the end? Sure Clark was loosing Lana and that's the reason he needed to tell him. If he kept lying to Lana then he would lose her for sure and there wouldn't be a next time.

Again, I see your point of you but I disagree. Clark doesn't complain to his father. It's Mr. Kent who is there to comfort his son. Clark has just lost the love of his life. It makes sense that he would lean on a parent. That part is a reality in life. Part of being human is to lean on others for comfort during times of need. If anything Clark was showing his human side; that we need others. We can't deal with life on our own because if we do it can just destroy us.

16. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004

17. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Woah. "Reckoning" just blew my mind. I love funeral scene at the end. Very impressive camerawork. A little bit jarring Birth:Life:Death montage though. I must journey to see my mountaintop yogi, and think more on this amazing turn of events.

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i am really interested as to will be playing General Zod. i'm excited that Milton Fine (a.k.a. Brainiac) is going to be back soon. my only complaint is that we have a 5 - 6 week wait between new episodes.

19. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    There's been a 6 week break the last 2 years in the spring, so nothing new, only difference is this one is earlier than previous years.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    were there 24 episodes in any of the past seasons?

21. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    The reason that Clark asks "Why did you take her from me?" is because this is the price that he had to pay for having his own life saved earlier in the season. True or not, Clark believes that this is Jor-El really 'taking' Lana away from him as punishment, or what he feels is punishment, for him not living up to his end of the bargain about getting his butt back to the FoS before sundown the day after the meteor shower.

Seeing that the movies established the ability to somewhat mess with time exists (and I haven't read the comics in a while, but that's a tried-and-true comic storyline) I didn't mind the fact that he went back to try and fix things.

Although, I think he could have done it by still telling Lana his secret. How about just say "Hey, you know how you were thinking of going over to Lex's place? Don't do that, please!"

Nope, S1 had 21, S2 had 23, S3 had 22, and S4 had 22.

22. SWJaggy

Nov 9, 2003
    Sure he was [dealing with it]. Everyone has their own way of dealing with situations: some cry, some live in denile, and others find someone to blame. Which is exactly what Clark did. He blamed everything on Jor-el. And it's like kayladie97 said, from a certain point of view, Jor-el did "take" Lana away from him. It was one life for another so the balance could be restored. Okay maybe on some level we don't get second chances but on another level we do. Every mistake we make is an opportunity to do the right thing next time. And being from Krypton, Clark had this option, only in a more high-tech way. He was given a chance to make up for his mistake and this time make it right.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    First, in comics he could travel through time, but not alter the past. He certainly couldn't rotate the planet back to undo the damage. That's an invention of the films and Smallville used it.

Second, Clark's attitude is consistant with his character. He does have this habit of getting really emotional when someone close to him dies or is about to die. In "Kingdom Come", he quits being Superman in part because he failed to save everyone that mattered to him and his disgust with the public's opinion regarding the new breed of hero. In "The Fall Of Metropolis" arc, he's totally distrught when he thinks Lois was killed. Again in "The Death Of Clark Kent" and in a possible future shown in "JLA: Rock Of Ages". There he killed himself. So Clark getting mad at Jor-El is very much along those lines. And Clark deciding to undo everything matches up to his reasoning in the first film, when he failed to save Jonathan and decides to do something regarding Lois. As we know, this will go a long way towards establishing the mature hero that he will become.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    the one thing i've loved about this show is the portrayal of jor-el. terrence stamp does a great job as the voice. he won't be marlon brando though. only other person i could see being jor-el is Anthony Hopkins

25. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    Oh tonights epi was better than Reckoning. And we got another schedule update.

Boo for not getting 24 epis and now we have an even longer haitus. Damnit! :mad:

2/2 #5-13 "Vengeance"
    2/9 #5-14 "Tomb"
    2/16 #5-15 "Cyborg"
    HIATUS
    4/6 #5-16 "Hypnotic"
    4/13 #5-17 " Void"
    4/20 #5-18 "Fragile"
    4/27 #5-19 *Welling Directs*
    5/4 #5-20
    5/11 #5-21
    5/18 #5-22 Season Finale

Only 22, no two part season finale, not sure if 22 will "to be continued" or not.