main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL~SMALLVILLE Discussion thread. (Spoilers Galore)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediPriestess, Jan 4, 2006.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Really sorry! :(

Every time I even so much as mention a spoiler someone always posts later about ruining it for them so I've gotten in the habit to do the spoiler tags, and I made my post right after I saw it and was worried that people who saw it in a different timezone later would get upset.

So sorry again, I didn't mean to cause you any trouble or an inconvience.

2. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I agree it must be Chloe. First rule of foreshadowing: include a clue at the beginning.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm glad you did. It's on at a different time in my timezone, and I checked the thread before it had aired to see if anyone had commented my previous post. If you hadn't blacked it out, I would have read it before watching it.

4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Heck, they don't even have to show Bruce, Diana or Hal/Kyle/John onscreen. Just some sort of reference to them would be appreciated...you know acknowledge the three other major heroes in the DC universe.

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I thought there was something on a newspaper back in season 1 or something about the Themiskyran queen meeting with the Pope? If I remember that right then that's at least an acknowledgement that Diana is out there somewhere. They showed a Green Lantern Ring in Absolute Justice, though it was probably Alan Scott's. And they have been using scenes from Batman Begins Gotham as background shots for cities in Smallville, so that is something I guess.

Though honestly as awesome as having Batman on the show would be it's Batman, he'd steal the show. Not to mention he would solve all their problems in 5 minutes. "Where is Lex? Oh wait Batman found him." "The Darkness? Nope Batman defeated him."

That said if Smalllvile ends with Clark in the suit standing on top of the Daily Planet only to turn around and see Bruce in the batsuite going "I'm Batman." would make it the most awesome ending ever.

6. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    The thing is, that would have been on you then. Dont come to the thread before you watch the episode. Honestly, Im not trying to be witchy about it, but we went through all this back when the thread was created and it was agreed to not spoiler tag stuff, which the staff agreed upon. I have trouble with my eye-sight anymore and it's just easier if we dont have the big black lines running through post after post. Its ok Antilles you probably didnt know.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Personally I think it would be better for it to be a more understated thing. Have Oliver, Tess/Watchtower or even better Chloe/Fate say something like "there's rumours of someone cleaning up the streets in Gotham that we might want to look at". Especially if Chloe, as you could add in another wink with a foreshadowing of the future friendship.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I just finished watching Smallville Season 9 on DVD - haven't seen any of S10 yet (will wait for the DVD set in 2011).

Excellent season! The conflict with Zod that was a plot point throughout the whole season was amazing, and intentionally brought to mind the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films from back in the day. I also really liked Clark's new black outfit - another cool homage to Jor-El's outfit in Superman I & II.

Without going into a detailed review of the whole season, I would have to say that my favorite episodes included: The Zombie episode - very atmospheric & creepy, and probably one of the few horror-like episodes in the series (though the beginning of this episode was an almost direct copy of the begining of the film 28 Days Later); the Absolute Justice episode(s) - excellent, and it kind if reminded me of the graphic novel Watchmen for some reason; the episode where Lois went into an alternate post-apocalyptic future; the episode where Clark saved Zod with his Kryptonian blood, and Zod was able to gain super-powers - the final scene of that episode where Zod flew off the roof of the Daily Planet was chilling; the final episode, of course - very cool, and possibly the best finale of the series up to this point.

However, after watching the season, I have a couple of questions:

- How did the rest of the Kandorians (Zod's followers) gain super-powers? I completely missed the explanation for this.

- Why isn't Clark able to fly yet? He's had super-powers all of his life, and you would think he would have learned this by now. Having the Kandorians flying around right after gaining their powers makes this doubly strange. I suppose the "real-world" answer to this is that the show's producers are waiting for the end of the series to have Clark fly, in order to increase the dramatic tension. However, this still doesn't make sense to me, unless I'm comletely missing something.

Thanks in advance for the answers to these questions.

9. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    The rest of the Kandorians got their power from Zod's blood, same way Zod got them from Clark's.

As to the flying bit, it's actually shown in Season 10 where Kara is teaching him to fly. What it comes down to is accepting his heritage and letting go.

10. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    Superman has to find his other half, his feminine side which is lois. Once he does that all the parts fit together. This makes him whole, whole enough to fly.

11. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Thanks - this is good to know.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    [image=http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2010/12/sml_24x36_poster_sloga1f70-682x1024.jpg]

[face_thinking]

13. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Is it just me or did they just rip off the reflection from Superman Returns? :p

14. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I'm sure they did. After all, the suit in the Fortress is the one from SR. Why stop there, eh?

15. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Absolutely. Just invert: this image

Opacity, lop off the top half, rotate a little and voila!

16. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    A nitpick I suppose but it would have been nice if they could have got Welling in a suit rather than photoshop a different Superman into the reflection.

17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Indeed. Which makes you wonder if they will actually ever give us Welling in the suit before the series is over. If they have to photoshop an image at this point, it makes me wary of ever seeing Welling in the suit.

18. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Unless it's a case of the first time they want us to see him in the suit is when they are ready for the big reveal in the finale/final arc? Given all the lead up for this I wouldn't blame them for wanting it revealled where it would have the biggest impact.

19. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    It also would have been nice if they used a current image of Welling as opposed to one from season 9.

20. RedHanded_Jill

Nov 16, 2004
    How about the pic of Clark Kent in the future in the elevator, uptight version. I really liked that.

21. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Another photoshop job from the CW. They are getting a lot of mileage from Superman Returns pictures.

[image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/smallvilleshadow-poster.jpg]

22. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Tonight's episode has been moved to next week. [face_plain]

23. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
  24. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    That's crazy that they replace Smallville with a rerun of Vampire Diaries.

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Apparently it has something to do with Chicago's mayoral race.