main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL~SMALLVILLE Discussion thread. (Spoilers Galore)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediPriestess, Jan 4, 2006.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Why do I have the feeling the next time we see Lionel he's going to be talking like Michael Ironside and shooting Omega Beams from his eyes?

Good episode. A bit confusing at the end, so Ultraman is now getting counseling from his Jor-El?

But... BOOSTER GOLD NEXT WEEK! YEAH!!!!!!

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    That drives me nuts because they keep trying to cram their own theme down my throat and I just can't enjoy it. It makes me miss the Williams theme more and more, and makes me wish they would end on that epic high note that always seems to accompany it.

3. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I haven't watched Friday's episode yet, but is this the promo you are talking about?

4. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    New Smaville promo: I Am Lex Luthor

Personally I like this one and am ready for Lex to return.

Oh and the official episode description of the final episode entitled Finale.

BE THERE AS SMALLVILLE WRAPS UP CLARK KENT?S TEN-YEAR JOURNEY IN AN EPIC TWO-HOUR SERIES FINALE ? The story of Clark Kent (Tom Welling) culminates in this epic two-hour series finale as Clark takes the last step to becoming the Man of Steel. With surprise guest appearances, nods to the first few seasons of the series and Michael Rosenbaum?s return as Lex Luthor, this final episode wraps up a decade-long story following one?s man?s journey to becoming the world?s greatest superhero.
    Erica Durance, Allison Mack, Justin Hartley, Cassidy Freeman, John Glover, Annette O?Toole and John Schneider also star. Kevin Fair directed ?Finale Part 1,? which was written by Al Septien & Turi Meyer and Greg Beeman directed ?Finale Part 2,? written by Brian Peterson & Kelly Souders.

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I'm hoping that they bring back Bizzaro and Brainiac somehow. I mean the show ends as he takes up the mantle of Superman and... he only has Lex Luthor left to fight. I mean he's killed all his villains in his teenage years. Whose left for him to fight for his career as Superman?

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Brainiac is now Brainiac 5.

As to who is left, Darkseid isn't dead yet. Zod is this week. Parasite I don't believe made a true appearance. Lobo, Mongul and other aliens still exist. The fact is that Lex is the most dangerous and most difficult so his return is far more impressive than Bizarro or Brainiac.

7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I want my Corey Burton Brainiac. :( And I though Parasite died back in season 8? Still this would be like having a young Bruce Wayne series where by the time he takes up the cowl and cape Penguin, Riddler, and Two Face are already dead. I mean yeah he has the Joker left who is more dangerous than all of them but still.

8. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    New pictures from the finale. SO happy Lex is back.

[image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/smallville-finale-lex-and-clark.jpg]

[image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/smallville-finale-lex.jpg]

And he's back to the one glove look. Straight comic style!

9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Indeed. :( I would love for the show to continue in comic book as one of the many Earths or a form similar to Buffy Season 8. I'm not going to like having no new Smallville to look forward to.

BTW, it was great seeing Zod last week. And with a very Zod-like beard as well! :)

10. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    WTH was up with this week's episode?! Lois' line is the most stupid line ever: "Every second I take away from your time for my self, you could be out there saving five people". No ****! He's supposed to have a life too, you know. If that's your argument, then I guess he shouldn't sleep either.

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I have to agree, her logic means he can't do ANYTHING but save people. I mean yeah saving people is good but not if he goes completely insane by doing it, he needs a life, I mean he's not... superman... irony. Also Lois giving into Toyman's threat... Has she forgotten that she could be by Clark in less than a millisecond if she wants and that Clark is in Watchtower, with Tess who would KILL ANYONE to save Clark. Maybe Jor-El also hit her with a stupid ray.

I am dissapointed that Supergirl never got to meet Superboy. :(

But seeing the LEGION OF DOOM was awesome. Captain Cold, Roulette, Solomon Grundy, BLACK MANTA, Metallo, I think there was someone else but I can't remember.

We finally got to see Flash/Impulse again, even if it was only a photo.

Indiana Jones Oliver was cool, sad there wasn't a Medieval knight that would make him choose the right bow.

Jor-El making Supergirl leave, stupid, but Clark needs to be the hero even though logic says he shouldn't.

So Oliver has gold kryptonite now, guess Clark will lose his powers forever only to have Jor-El sacrifice himself Superman II Richard Donner cut style to give them back to him.

12. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    And who knew all this time Jor-El had an off switch? That would have come in handy back in the earlier seasons.

13. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    The Legion of Doom was the high point of last night's episode. The rest was terrible and should have been from early on in the season and not the episode before the Series Finale.

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I loved seeing Kara and having some Jor-El stuff going on. I kinda missed Jor-El. I really loved the episode but wished it had more set up for the finale. This Friday will be the last episode of Smallville ever. :(

15. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007

Question: This is it Mike. Your last chance ever to give out Smallville scoop. Make it a good one worthy of the Man of Steel. ?Joel

Ausiello: OMG, the pressure! OK, I?ve got two words for you Joel: Surprise. Cameo.

My guess is Bruce Wayne...lol.

16. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Best freaking television series ending EVER! :)

17. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Great episode, great finale.

The only issue I had was how they handled Tess's death, or how they didn't handle it. I mean it would have been better if Oliver and Chloe's kid was a girl and they could have named her after her just to show they at least cared. But not even referencing her in the epilogue makes them all just seem like jerks.

And Luthor became president how? I mean he lost all his memories? How did he even know how to talk and walk?

18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    My biggest issue was with them never showing Superman. Not really. Sure there was a CGI figure that looked like Superman from a distance, never had a close up of Welling in the suit. That left me completely underwhelmed.

19. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    That was also my biggest complaint. They payoff was Clark in the suit. Did anyone else notice how it changed in one scene? When in the ice it was the Superman Returns suit, then Papa Kent had a different suit with a rubbery S in his arms.

20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I'm okay with the costume. I don't think they could've had the budget to do a proper full suit. I like how we only saw a little of it, made him seem more alien and powerful.

21. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    My one issue was the lack of long action shots, which has sadly always been the curse of this show and other superhero shows. A lot of talking and very little action when you consider we don't really see Clark moving Apokolips, we just sort of see people cheer and then see a CGI figure in space. Darkseid goes out like a punk much like Doomsday. If they go to the trouble of giving him a human form, at least let him fight a little bit. I laughed when the Generals told Lois that Clark had 5 minutes. It took him 10 to talk to darkseid, jor-el, get the suit and then save the world. Pretty sure the nukes should have been flying. [face_laugh]

That said, overall it was very good. At the same time, it felt dialogue top heavy. As if everyone (Jonathan, Martha, Chloe, Lois, Oliver, Jor-El, Lex) had to each remind Clark of his destiny for the upteenth time. And he still didn't get it until the very end!:oops:

Lex's return was nice and his scenes were excellent. But it just felt shoved in. The defeat of the prophets was a cool moment for Oliver, but made them also look as poor as Darkseid. For being the greatest threat ever, they all went down faster than Doomsday, Zod, Bizarro and Brainiac combined. I love how the whole hubub over the destruction of Orion's bow is never ever commented on.

Finally, Tess got a bum deal. There's nothing for her at all. No memorial present, no one to mourn her. Frankly, she was treated like the red headed step child the minute Lex walked back in. The writers wanted a cool moment for Lex and it came at the expense of Tess.

But again, overall I enjoyed it. Loved the use of the theme song. Loved the saving of Lois on the plane. Nice nods to the past Supermen.

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Somebody posted this at the SuperheroHype forums and I thought it was hilarious. Explains how Lex became evil again after having all his brain erased.

'Okay I'm bald, well dressed, I have a messed up hand and there's a dead body. Clearly I'm a bad ass villian.''

23. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07MMlFqGvQ

24. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Overall, disappointed by Season 10 and the inconsistent storytelling. The final 10 minutes of the episode were pretty epic, though, and it was nice how after Clark became Superman, the Smallville theme wasn't heard. Instead, it transitioned to the Superman theme because that's who he was: Superman.

25. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    I think its still a little hard to believe that after 10 years Smallville is over. No longer will I tune in weekly to see Clark Kent?s metamorphosis into the legendary Man of Steel, Superman. But at least there was a two hour farewell given to this show I have dedicated so much time to.

Was the Smallville Finale perfect? No it wasn?t, but it was fun to watch and that?s the most important part. I?m not a Smallville apologist, I?ll unload on something if I think its done poorly and I think I?ve proven that. So if you want to think of the Smallville Finale with no criticism I encourage you to skip to the end of this article. I am going to be critical of a few parts, but on whole I did enjoy the Finale. If you feel I?m being unfair, I encourage you to leave a comment below and call me out.

My thoughts on the finale can basically be binned into three groups: the good, the bad, and the ugly. As such, I have organized my thoughts like that below.

The Good

The Final Scene - If the final scene of Smallville didn?t make you want to stand up and cheer I?m not sure what?s wrong with you. The Lois and Clark of 2018 were almost exactly what you would expect from the comic book world. Not only that but it brought the return of a couple of characters that are a big part of the Superman comic book mythos (more on that below). Th other nice touch was the addition of Lex Luthor being the president-elect. That had been foretold in past seasons and it was really cool to see it come to pass. But by far the best part of this final scene involved Clark Kent. Everyone who has watched Smallville was waiting for the scene where Clark goes to the save the day and rips open his shirt to reveal the Superman shield. Couple that moment with John William?s Superman theme and it gave me chills.

The Kent Family ? Smallville has always done a great job of showing that at its heart the show is about Clark Kent and his family. It was great to see Martha and Jonathan back in the finale episode. The Kents were responsible for shaping Clark into the man he became. His sense of what is morally right is what makes Superman such a great hero. It was fantastic to see Jor-El point out that Clark should always remember Smallville and the Kents. I also have to admit that the Kent family hug in Clark?s loft was heartwarming. It really took me back to the beginning of the show where there was a great deal of focus on the family aspect.

Apokolips ? I thought the appearance of Darkseid?s planet was done well and the special effects that went into its appearance were beautiful. Apokolips appeared and it certainly amped up the tension in the episode. It truly did feel like there was a chance everything could go badly.

The Return of Lex Luthor ? There?s a part of me that really wished Lex?s return was kept secret. It would have made the return that much more powerful. That being said, Lex?s return was great. Michael Rosenbaum continues to prove that he is Lex Luthor. The scene between Clark and Lex in the burned out Luthor mansion was very well done. One of my favorite parts is when Clark tries to tell Lex he?s been given a second chance and that this time things can go differently and he can be good. That?s classic Superman right there, believing that anyone can be redeemed even the man who has been your worst enemy. The back and forth between Clark and Lex was well done and made me realize how much I had missed Lex as the overall villain of the story, especially when Lex referred to Clark as Kal-El showing that he remembered everything that had happened between the two. I think my favorite part of the exchange is how Lex is one of the forces that drives Clark towards being a hero if only so that Lex can be the one that opposes him.

Surprise Cameos ? The return of Aaron Ashmore to the Smallville world was a welcome surprise. This time instead of portraying the deceased Henry James Olson he was Henry?s little brother better known as Jimmy. Not only that, he looked like what you expect from Jimmy in the comics with the bow tie and hat