main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA ~*Official social thread*~

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by darth_avery, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    wow! this seems to be a really bad week for a lot of people. i think we should stop today and think pleasent thoughts and be thankful for all the wonderful gifts that we have. including those who care about us.

this helps me when im down and out.

good thoughts coming your way jim.

may the force be with all of us.

2. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
  3. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    Well, for some good news, I had a job interview today with a bank and just got a call from Pacific Sunwear for computer stuff. So, now I can direct my good thoughts towards everyone else since it looks like my unemployment stint will be very short. :)

4. darth_avery

darth_avery Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    YAY! Mr. Tagami (the Newport Harbor high school star wars club sponsor) is stable but still unconscious from what i was last told. he suffered two anyerysms. i had a friend last year die at 24years old of one so it's a miracle Mr. Tagami is recovering!

-avery

5. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    I hadn't heard that yet. That's great :D

I can't believe I didn't hear it in Star Wars club today! :p

6. Kyps-dozen

Kyps-dozen Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 31, 2002
    how come i have to learn things the hard way! you see me every day D_A and you couldn't tell me Jerry was doing better?

A question for all you married guys: should i expect something like this when i get married?

7. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I think it happens to everybody Kyps. Sometimes people have so many different things on their mind that they forget to tell people some things or they think maybe they've told everyone they know. I don't have that problem with my fiance, she tells me everything, sometimes 2 or 3 times. I do sometimes forget to tell her things though, but I am getting better :)

8. starwars6554

Jul 9, 2002
    I'm not married...or not even close...but yeah, you can probably expect this. ;)

My mom is the exact same say. :p

9. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    hehehehehehehehehehehe!

10. zhi-don_aquintas

Jul 17, 2002
    hey kyps:

marriage is just another level in your relationship. i can tell you from experience [married 4 times] that the single most important item is communication. if you have that, then any other problem can be fixed. if you talk alot about everything even stuff you normally wouldnt talk about and it seems ok to do so. secrets etc. then thats a real good sign. remember this: women expect men to read thier minds...we cant. women expect men to pay attention to them when men are doing something else...tv, reading, working a lightsaber...we cant. we must stop and focus on them to get the message. if they say something while we are focused on something else we will not remember it. i think that is because women are multiplex...can do a lot of different things at once...talk on the phone, write a letter, and watch tv all at once. men are simplex...we concentrate on one thing at a time...a movie, a book, a computer game. we have to completely stop and focus on what a woman is saying to remember it. right married guys?

i hope this is some help to you.

11. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    I've been married for almost 7 years and I can tell you 1 thing. You are always wrong. My dad told me to remember 1 phrase and it will make things easier, "I'm sorry". Even if you aren't wrong, it ends the fight and fighting destroys marriage. The spirit of contention is of the dark side and leads to anger. Anger leads to hatred. You know the rest.

Don is right too. Chicks want you to read their minds. Also communication is the key. If you've read any of the jedi apprentice or jedi quest books you will see that the problems between qui-gon and obi or obi and anakin could be solved easy with communication. Qui-gon and Obi-wan in the books often reflect that if they had communicated better, things would have worked out differently.

12. zhi-don_aquintas

Jul 17, 2002
    thanks aaron...for the backup...the im sorry thing is correct too. rule 1....woman are always right...rule 2 when women are wrong...see rule 1. lol...men are never right..if you force the issue and make them admit you are right...you will pay more than if you said you were wrong even if you were right.

13. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Don and Aaron, much wisdom ye do give! (After 19 years with same woman, I'd thought communication would get easier... Or maybe my hearing is going - lol!)

Peace,
    Jim

14. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    WHOA! whoa! fella's we aren't married! we're just dating! yipe! besides...my dad told me one thing that i should always remember about the male sex of homosapiens.....men are scum....so far that has applied to my first boyfriend but the second one i'm still working on......:p

15. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    OMG! That is hilarious! You're dad sounds like a very wise man d_a. lol :p

Hope it works out better for you the 2nd time around ;)

16. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    if you force the issue and make them admit you are right...you will pay more than if you said you were wrong even if you were right.

And this is exactly why I don't force the issue...as much. Instead, I give in until she proves herself wrong :) Then I still get my way :p

Seriously though, I think I'm very lucky. My fiance and I discuss everything so it rarely comes down to wrong and right. Also, she's not very material, so I don't have to worry about her wanting all kinds of things we can't have. She talks big, but she's also very realistic.

17. Droid_Runner

Droid_Runner Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    Just joined the Planetary Society -- they are planning to put a solar sail up soon!

They sell a bumper sticker that says, "We're saving space for you!"

18. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    one of my socks got banned from the JCForums...!it scared me soooooo bad! holy cow! my heart was racing! guess what i did!? aparently i spammed! i didn't even know what spamming was until Darth_Attorney banned me! i submitted a form to be unbanned, but i think i'd rather just make a new sock. the old one has a bad rep now!

19. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Am I the only one around here that only uses one username to login? I don't have any others that I know of (I might from way back in '97, but I don't know). It just amazes me how many people there are that have several different usernames.

20. zhi-don_aquintas

Jul 17, 2002
    nope...i do...but maybe im weird...

21. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I have one sock, it has like 15 posts. I use it when I get banned from palying games like Mafia.

P.S. your guys' relationship SW analogies are very funnneeeee. :p

But totally totally true. Phil and I have gotten through soooo many problems, because he knew that communication was essential (the boy was 15 !! 15!(then... now, he's almost 18) How did he know this already? :p ) and he and I have the best communication of any of the couple I know at my age. I am never upset about something he did (or didn't do ;) ) without telling him why, it helps out so much. If he did something to upset me, I just say "hey, look. I am upset about blah blah blah. Please tell me why you did this or that, because it is possible I could be misinterpreting your actions, and I would like to hear your view."

We have been back together since August, adn we've had maybe 3 or 4 fights (=me crying and upset about something) and none lasted more than about 2 hrs. :) I hope that never changes. He is my complete best friend.

BTW, I hardly ever post in here, or check it. I am not much of a social thread person so you'll have to excuse my infrequent posting in here. :p

22. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    Finally!! NOW I know what all the sock talk is about

I just thought maybe people on here really liked socks. :p

23. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    yay!i'm unbanned....i think i'll just get a new sock since that one might have a bad rep. (i only have two socks and i use them as often as my main user name)

24. Kyps-dozen

Kyps-dozen Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 31, 2002
    i have three weeks!i'm really nervous. i leave on the 19th....i was just told that my host family speaks english....thank GOD!

-jason

25. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I'm sure you'll pick you plenty of Chinese while you're there. Living in a completely different country, being immersed in a foreign tongue, has a tendency to get people to learn the language rather quickly.

I can even give you a couple easy ones before you leave. Xie Xie (pronounced shay shay) is thank you. My fiance is from Taiwan so I'm not making this up :) And bu ka chi (pronounced boo ka chee) is you're welcome. All the spellings I use are PinYen (sp?) since I don't know any symbols. I've heard that a lot of the signs are written in PinYen in China anyway, so if you can learn that, you'll be ok.

I know a few others, but only ones I use in conversation with my fiance. Mostly basic stuff like how are you and goodbye. The best thing I could tell you would be to pickup the Oxford Chinese dictionary. It had things I didn't even expect, like how to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I can post the ISBN number later tonight when I have the book in front of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.