Official Star Trek music discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I think The Undiscovered Country stuff is fantastic. I agree that Dennis McCarthy's Generations stuff is crap but I think there are MANY great cues from First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis that could easily go on a new Star Trek movie score compilation CD.

2. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    That's what I said. I love the opening with the cello solo; I love the end suite. I love the Battle for Peace, though I wish it were just a little tighter.
  3. mrbojango Jedi Youngling

I would love to see James Horner do a Star Trek movie again. I'd love to see Star Trek movies again period :)
  4. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think Trek music is unbalanced. Each of the scores have at least one excellent piece, but in instances like Generations, First Contact, TMP, and VI, a lot is just "filler" brooding music.

THe best overall would have to be TWOK, TFF, and Insurrection, because they seem to have the most balance of memorable themes.
  5. Dani1138 Force Ghost

star 3
    ... Star Trek: The Motion Picture - one of the greatest film scores of all time - has too much filler music? Wow, if you say so. I love every last second of it, what an incredible score.
  6. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I agree with Vaderbait to some extent.

TWOK, except for the Khan's Earbugs track or whatever, is pretty much nonstop goodness, but for me, TMP runs great for about the first half, and then does have a whole lot of filler before the conclusion. Similarly, with Undiscovered Country, I usually listen to the first four tracks or so, and then skip forward to number nine or ten.
  7. darth_sidious1 Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, if you skip the middle tracks from VI, then you miss the "escape from rura penthe" track, which has a beautiful part for strings and solo horn when they're walking accross the ice. It's not crazy battle music but it's powerful nonetheless.

For crazy battle music, stick with anything from TWOK, "stealing the enterprise" from TSFS. James Horner is certifiably brilliant -- no wonder he's plaigerized from this score for the rest of his career...

My favourite piece of Trek battle music has to be "The drones attack" from insurrection. It's so evil, yet wierdly noble at the same time.

A question: what pieces of music in Trek do you like but you think are underrated/overlooked? Here's mine:

"Chekov's run" from IV
    "Inner workings", "Spock walk", and "Illia's theme" from TMP
    The borg march from the Voyager TV movie "Dark Frontier"
    And, of course the immortal "Vina's dance" from "the cage" -- Green orion slave girls for everyone!!!
  8. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Well, if you skip the middle tracks from VI, then you miss the "escape from rura penthe" track, which has a beautiful part for strings and solo horn when they're walking accross the ice. It's not crazy battle music but it's powerful nonetheless.

I believe that's track nine, one of the ones I don't skip. It's not great at the beginning, but it starts getting really powerful toward the end . . . then ends all too quickly.
  9. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Hehe, I haven't listened to my WOK soundtrack in ages, so I just got it out. I own a 1982 vinyl copy, and on the front cover, it says "DIGITAL RECORDING". LOL. I actually do own a few other digitally recorded albums on vinyl. Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms comes to mind (great album, BTW).
  10. lyle990 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I never will forget watching Cocoon and recognizing parts of the soundtrack from TWOK where they are trying to escape from the Mutara Nebula before the Reliant explodes during a scene. Guess who did the score for Cocoon?

And one of my all-time favorite Trek Scores, which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, is Sol Kaplan's score for The Doomsday Machine from 1967. Probably one of the best "action" scores from the original series. I was soooo happy when they released it on CD along with Amok Time.
  11. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I picked up First Contact the other day. The first contact theme is lovely, the Klingon theme is good to hear again, in probably its best rendition since TMP. But after the first two tracks, the CD didn't really do much for me again until the end. Meh.
  12. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The problem with First Contact, is that all of the good music was way too short. It pulls you in, and befor eyou can fully appreciate it, it's over, leaving you wishing they had put a little more in.

I think they need to establish a little bit more of an arc in the films, like they did with Spock. I'm not saying resurrect Data, even though they alreayd have, but have something emotional running through a few movies, and establish a theme. Star Trek really lacks a recurrent theme, other than the main theme.

I think that some of the music from The Voyage Home is fun, just not very Star Trek-y, you know? Chekov's Run is great, and the Whale Fugue or whatever it's called, the climax of the film is pretty good.

Spock Walk, Genesis Countdown, Stealing the Enterprise, and one of the tracks from the extended First Contact soundtrack, something like "Escape Pods" are great. Insurrection I think had a lot of good music, and Nemesis as well, although the music seemed a bit repetitive. But I thought the last few tracks on the extended soundtrack are excellent, and much better than on the official album.
  13. StarWarsFan2005 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    So who else here loves the Star Trek First Contact score the most?

I've got the full bootleg score for Star Trek First Contact (30 tracks), and it is my favorite Star Trek score at all time...I ponder if Paramount will ever give the Star Trek movie scores that Jerry Goldsmith wrote a proper release...? If they do I know I'd buy them in a heart beat...Second place for the Star Trek scores is Nemesis, then The Motion Picture, The Final Fontier then Insurrection...again it's just for the scores.

Trent

Star Trek First Contact
    Complete Motion Picture Score
    Music Composed By Jerry and Joel Goldsmith
    Music Conducted By Jerry Goldsmith

01- Main Title (2:54) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    02- Locutus (Film Version) (1:29) *Joel Goldsmith*
    03- The Enterprise-E (0:26) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    04- Starfleet Engages The Borg (1:11) *Joel Goldsmith*
    05- Red Alert (2:13) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    06- Temporal Wake (Film Version) (2:06) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    07- April 4th, 2063 (1:44) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    08- Greetings (Film Version) (1:04) *Joel Goldsmith*
    09- First Sign Of Borg (0:24) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    10- 39.1 Degrees Celcius (4:44) *Joel Goldsmith*
    11- Approaching Engineering (1:41) *Joel Goldsmith*
    12- Retreat (Film Version) (4:00) *Joel Goldsmith*
    13- Data Awakens In Engineering (1:31) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    14- Assimilation (1:00) *Joel Goldsmith*
    15- Welcome Aboard (2:40) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    16- The Gift Of Flesh (1:03) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    17- Definitely Not Swedish (1:24) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    18- Watch Your Caboos, Dix (1:32) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    19- Fully Functional (Film Version Edit) (2:50) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    20- The Dish (Film Version) (7:05) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    21- Bridge Argument (1:54) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    22- A Quest For Vengeance (2:39) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    23- Evacuate (2:20) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    24- The Escape Pods (2:50) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    25- All The Time (1:02) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    26- The Starship Chase (3:00) *Joel Goldsmith*
    27- Resistance Is Futile! (1:47) *Joel Goldsmith*
    28- The Future Restored (1:35) *Joel Goldsmith*
    29- First Contact (Film Version) (6:00) *Jerry Goldsmith*
    30- End Credits (5:23) *Jerry Goldsmith*
  14. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    As I said before I think, the First Contact theme's rather lovely, and there's some nice stuff, but I think there's a little too much rather insubstantial filler music.
  15. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I agree. The theme from First Contact is great. I listen to the end credits track a lot.
  16. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    I was Quite Dissapointed with Star Trek the Motion Picture,

I would have thought they would added some of WIlliam Shatner songs from his 'The Transformed Man' album.

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000014WS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

I mean 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds' would have been better with the Enterprise going to warp.
    and Mr Tambourine man , ahhhhhhhhhh that just perfect for the Klingon battle that took place at beginning against V'ger.

17. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    "Mr. Tamborine Man.
    MR. TAMBORINE MAN!"

How can you not love that? ;)

For more Shatnery goodness, check out this thread at JWFan:
    http://www.jwfan.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5632&sid=9e531d87ef3e5c88d36090c13e3a15be]
  18. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    of course I love it !
    I'm saying would have been better played as a sound Track to STar trek the motion picture.
  19. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I know. I meant that as a rhetorical question. ;)
  20. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
  21. Fettcrom Jedi Knight

Starwarsfan2005 , or anyone else who has it, can you let me know where you got that extended score of First Contact. Cor that's one of the best but some of the best cues aren't included on the soundtrack. Can it be bought or downloaded anywhere.

I don't know what parts of ST6 you folks find boring, that's a great score. It can't all be action, action, action. You need those quiet moments aswell. I know I do. ST2 is the best work Horner has ever done, and we still hear ripples of it in his work today. It's a real shame horner still copies himself, when he turned up on the scene his music was a breath of fresh air but his repetitive nature over the years has made his music stale and familiar. I found myself singing along to the Rocketeer in the cinema the first time I'd ever heard it. He needs to churn out another Glory, 48 Hours or Commando. Has anyone ever dredged up a score for Commando?

But since Jerry's recent passing I haven't stopped playing The Motion Picture. Beautiful, mysterious and exciting. The piece of theme when we first see The Mighty Shatner stiil brings a smile.

Especially now I would love that expanded First Contact score or any of the others so if any of you folks can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
  22. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Just a friendly reminder not to post any links to copyrighted material on the boards. :)
  23. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    What do people think of Insurrection? Worth a purchase, or skip it?
  24. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I personally love it. It's one of the only good things about the film. I have an expanded version of that score as well, and I think it is wonderful.

25. StarWarsFan2005 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I've got an expanded score for Star Trek Insurrection as well. It is worth having.

Trent
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.