Official Star Trek music discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogan_Agar Jedi Master

star 4
    It has something special. Although it is a very known theme, the variation sounds just awesome, the additional violins make it sound very nostalgic.

What I also like are the additional tracks in FIRST CONTACT, especially the one playing in the conference scene, in the brilliantly performed scene with Picard and Lily talking about Moby Dick.
  2. Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Master

star 4
    Is there anybody else out there besides me who thinks that Howard Shore would be a great choice to do the music for Star Trek films?
    Anyone who's heard his work for The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy and his work for David Cronenberg knows what an incredible stylistic range he has. I think he would have no problem tackling a space opera!
  3. Rogan_Agar Jedi Master

star 4
    Honestly... No.

Star Trek had always this march like music (the TMP theme comes to mind). Shore wrote great music for LOTR, but his style would never fit with TREK.

Now that Goldsmith is dead (RIP one of the greatest movie soundtrack composers), I think Hans Zimmer should take over.
    His scores for GLADIATOR, LAST SAMURAI, CRIMSON TIDE and THE ROCK were awesome. He is the one whom I would choose for a TREK movie.
  4. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey, quick question- for Christmas, I finally got myself a copy of the TMP 20th anniversary soundtrack. I love the new cues (the end of "Total Logic" with Kirk's arrival, Spock's Arrival, and the entire "Off To A Good Start" ending, among many.) However, I was led to believe, perhaps incorectly, that this was Star Trek's answer to the Star Wars UEs- all of the music contained within the film would be here. I notice at least one of my favorite pieces missing- the brief fanfare after the Enterprise sucessfully achieves Warp (7?), I believe. Anyone out there know if this music (or simply a complete score) was ever released? I have both versions of the soundtrack that I know of... 'but is this all that there is? Is there nothing more?'
  5. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Knight

star 3
    Per Goldsmith's wishes, it was only an expanded release, rather than the complete score. A bootleg of the entire score does exist. (I don't have it)

TTBK, Leaving Home, Superman
  6. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think Hans Zimmer should take over.

Eek, God help us no. Zimmer's scores don't fit the movies he does make, they sure as hell wouldn't fit a space saga. That's all we need, synthesizers and techno music instead of a grand orchestral piece as the Enterprise goes into battle. :p We got close enough with Insurrection or Nemesis, let's not go completely over to the dark side here. ;)
  7. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Per Goldsmith's wishes? I hadn't heard this... well, phooey. If he wasn't dead...
  8. Rogan_Agar Jedi Master

star 4
    GLADIATOR, CRIMSON TIDE and LAST SAMURAI are only three examples of his work. But I think they fit the movies very well. :)
  9. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I would vote for Poledouris, but since he's shown no signs of coming back, why not Brian Tyler? He's always at least competent and occasionally great, and he's already worked on Star Trek -- he's done some of the best scores the show has had since The Best of Both Worlds.
  10. Rogan_Agar Jedi Master

star 4
    Another candidate would be Joel Goldsmith. If someone should succeed Jerry, it is his son.
  11. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus/2014 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 6
    I just recently remembered the score to Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. What a great job Cliff Eidelman did.
  12. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, I'd really enjoy having Cliff Eidelman back. (If I thought that there were going to be any more movies...)
  13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    GLADIATOR, CRIMSON TIDE and LAST SAMURAI are only three examples of his work.

Three examples, one score.;)

But seriously, I think the approach to the music should depend on what kind of movie the next Trek film is.

I always felt bad for Jerry Goldsmith, because his score is so majestic but TMP is so obscenely slow. Thank heaven for the renewal that came with TWOK.

I hope that ST can find its way back to the approachable fun it used to have. I love the geeky little intricacies most of the time, but I feel like the franchise has been catering exclusively to the fanboy set for almost a decade.

It's hard to achieve an epic feel if the movie feels like just a little nub in the bloated continuity that ST has become.
  14. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They need a pure adventure story. Nemesis would have been great had it A) not been hacked to pieces to the point where an average Joe who didn't know the whole story beforehand wouldn't understand a damn thing that was going on and B) Been released right up against LOTR.

Nemesis had all the elements, but they cut out scenes explaining WHY things were going on, and the destructive weapon was so underused that I forgot it's name AND forget it was even there while watching the movie until the end. Could've easily been great. Hell, still could be if someone were to re-edit the film. Speaking of that, does the recent Nemesis re-release have different deleted scenes than the original release?

As for music, I think we should steer clear of electronic sounding things. Goldsmith got too close to comfort. I don't buy Zimmer's argument that "stories that have a lot of technology therefore must have a score that is technological sound effects". Trek (the TV series) got too focused on the technology. The films did it right, even Insurrection and Nemesis, but they were mishandled.

For the next installment I recommend:
    Frakes back as director.
    Eidelman back as composer, though allow him a bit more range. Perhaps a film not quite as dark as VI, so the score would have to be a little lighter, but not like Rosenman's score for IV. I just feel VI was great, but a little repetitive and dull due to the darkness of the film. Give him a little more opportunities to shine, and Eidelman can save the franchise music-wise.
  15. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I just popped TMP into the dvd player, and was thinking about how few films have an Overture anymore. Goldsmith recorded this beautiful introduction to the first Star Trek film, and I think it sets a wonderful mood in anticipation. Whatever you think of the film now, remember (for those who can) how excited everyone was about it when released.
  16. QUI-DON-JINN Force Ghost

star 1
    This seems to be the thread in which to place this request. :)

I'm hosting a Star Trek: The Next Generation How to Host a Mystery party. I'd like to put together a mix of music that would go well with that or that highlights the best tracks from the movies or series. I have the soundtracks and the first volume of the Best of Star Trek: 30th Anniversary CD that has music from all four (at the time) series.

Suggestions? :)
  17. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Any particular tone you're trying to set? For creepy/mystery, something I'd suggest is the All Good Things suites from the second Best of Trek volume (which I just recieved and heard today,) as well as the music from Generations (particularly the opening titles and the arrival in the Nexus.)

Or are you just looking for the best of Trek, period?

Sounds like an awesome party, in any event.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see. "the best tracks from the movies or series." Just put on the Wrath of Kahn CD, on repeat. Problem solved. ;) Maybe throw in a little TMP to mix things up.

Okay, in seriousnes, which of the soundtracks do you own?
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Goldsmith's work beats Horner's anyday.
  19. QUI-DON-JINN Force Ghost

star 1
    I've thought about both, actually; it would be interesting to see what people think are the best tracks from the movies, as well as which tracks would do the best in setting a tone of mystery. The Nexus suggestion is a good one; I've thought about some of the tracks from VI, with "Overture" having a great spooky build-up, and perhaps "Revealed." The party's going to be in different rooms, so perhaps a mix of both the best tracks and a mystery mix would work.

I've got all the soundtracks to the movies and that 30th Anniversary vol. one to go with. I've been wanting to get the second volume; if there's a lot of good stuff on it, perhaps this is the impetus to finally do it. :)
  20. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    For me, the Captain Proton suites alone make it a worthwhile buy. ;)

Well, the standard Next Gen theme has a fairly mysterious buildup (though not especially long-lasting) anything from VI, as you mentioned, or X tend to be fairly mysterious.

As for the best of, personally, I'd just stick with the movies: Pretty much everything except, perhaps for the V'ger suites from TMP (unless you want them for the 'mystery' tone,) everything from TWOK, The new Klingon Theme and maybe the destruction of Genesis from III, The title from IV just for fun, the Title and crossing the barrier from V (and maybe the shuttle crash sequence as well), the opening, surrender for peace, finale, and end credits from VI, The opening up through Deck 15, then everything from the Klingon battle to the end on VII, all of VIII, Main Title and Riker Manuever from IX, and most of X (maybe omitting the dune buggy chase). Also, the 'Heart of Glory' suites from Best of, the 'Heroes and Demons' suite, and maybe the Tribbles if you're looking for something fun. The DS9 tracks never really stood out for me, but I think I remember the 'Visitor' suite being pretty good.

Of course, that's just my opinion- personal tastes vary pretty widely.
  21. QUI-DON-JINN Force Ghost

star 1
    Those are pretty good suggestions, thanks. :)

Let's do this: Choose one or two tracks from each movie soundtrack as the best of that soundtrack. That will be interesting to see what people think.

Thanks!
  22. mikadojedi Force Ghost

star 4
    For a little bit of mystery. I would use Spocks approaching the Enterprise music from TMP(Not sure of the exact title). And yes the soundtrack to TWOK on repeat sounds like a good idea too.

Just for the record. I think TVH is one of the most delightfull soundtracks ever. Rosenman gave it such a Mozart type flair. One cannot help but smile. Especially for the Hospital Chase and End Credits.
  23. QUI-DON-JINN Force Ghost

star 1
    I've recently started listening to the soundtracks again and just went through Voyage Home. I agree that it's quite good. Rosenman did a great job in doing both tense (The Whaler) and somewhat comedic (Chekhov's Run) action music, as well as a great final scene and credits piece.
  24. QUI-DON-JINN Force Ghost

star 1
    Looking over a few past pages in this thread, I noticed a brief discussion about the chronological order of the Trek scores. I saw the original movies, but not a list for any of the TNG films.

Does anyone have chrono orders for the OSTs for these?

Thanks.
  25. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Best two, huh? Tough choice for TMP. Probably the Opening Theme/Klingon Battle (for variety and that great classic theme) and 'The Enterprise,' though 'leaving spacedock' is a close contender if either of the other two are too similar for your fancy.

TWOK is a simillarly tough choice. The first, and best, is easy in my mind: Battle in the Mutara Nebula. The second is a tough contest between 'Genesis Countdown' and the End Credits- I'd probably pick the former, but only by the tinyest of margins.

SFS would be... Klingons, and Stealing The Enterprise, I think. Which track was it that had the destruction of Genesis? I've been listening to little bits and pieces, trying to find that one. It could be a contender.

VH would be Checkov's Run and Home Again: End Credits, deffinetly. (Though this is only because 'I Hate You' was never released on separate soundtrack. ;) )

FF- Without Help and A Busy Man. (For the shuttle crash and Sha Ka Ree theme, respectively.)

UC- As great as the opening credits are, I'd have to go for 'Battle For Peace' and 'Star Trek VI Suite'

Gen- The Enterprise B/Kirk Saves the Day, Out of Control/The Crash, and Jumping the Ravine/Overture are all great candidates. If I had to boot one off, it would probably be Out Of Control/The Crash, but again, only by a hair.

FC - Red Alert, for certain (it covers the Enterprise fanfare wonderfully, twice, as well as the Klingon theme and Borg Theme- it makes a great suite of it's own) and First Contact edges out Welcome Aboard, Retreat, Evacuate, and The Dish for the second place slot- worthy as all of those candidates may be.

Ins- The Riker Manuever and the End Credits.

Nem- Final Fight in first, and probably The Scorpion in second, for something a little different.

Well, those are my pics, at least- though for majority (All except III, IV, V, and IX) they were simply two top pics among many 'stellar' tracks. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.