main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN Official Star Wars Book discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by strawbary, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    For discussion of the books, comics, and other literature of the Star Wars Universe!

2. Sword_of_SPEA

Sword_of_SPEA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    This thread is going to be all sorts of fun! I'm excited!

I finished reading through the New Essential Chronology (thanks Auston!) the other night, and I am recommending it to everyone and anyone. Sure, if you have only watched the movies, most of this is going to be new and unfamiliar, but they do a fair job of explaining who's who and what's what. Plus, the artwork is fan-tas-tic!

Personally, I learned a lot more about the Old Republic (pre Movies), and the "begining" as it may be of the Star Wars Galaxy. That part maybe the coolest part yet. I don't read most of the Pre-qual books, and it was nice to see it all layed out in chronological order. As well, it clears up some ambiguities the movies left, while still raising a lot of questions!!

A must by...or borrow.

3. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I want to see this so BAD. And thanks to strawbary for starting the thread.

4. commander_cody_fan

commander_cody_fan Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    a freind showed me an exerpt from a book.
    it mentioned something called the lost 20. Could any of you tell me what that is, we are both trying to figure it out.

5. Sword_of_SPEA

Feb 14, 2005
    Basically the Lost 20 are Jedi who left the Order (during the Old Rebellion Era) mostly because they fell to the darkside. Dooku was the 20th to leave.

6. NorvelleJedi05

NorvelleJedi05 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2002
    I'm currently reading Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, James Luceno's new novel. It's the must read sequel to Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. It's interesting to hear the back stories that rots didn't have, i.e. the message for Jedi to come directly to Coruscant and the later message to stay away from Coruscant.

7. Sword_of_SPEA

Feb 14, 2005
    They discussed the message a bit in RotS, it was the reason Yoda and Obi-Wan went back to the temple, but I suppose they extrapolate on that? Sounds interesting though, I've read a few Luceno novels and enjoyed them. I need to find a book to read before The Swarm War is released in 2 weeks, perhaps I'll pick it up.

8. Darth_Venome

Darth_Venome Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    A great book was "Survivor's Quest" by Tim Zahn. I had not read any of his work since the original Thrawn trilogy, and forgot what an incredible writer he is.

9. TheQueenMother

TheQueenMother Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2004
    If anyone would like a few Swarm War spoilers *eyes Molly they're on KT* PM me and I'll direct you to the thread. It's not on the JC (I don't think) so just let me know. Trust me, they're worth it. I won't post them here, just PM if you'd like a link. Alright I'm off to take my last final of the semster....

Sara[face_peace]

10. Sword_of_SPEA

Feb 14, 2005
    any about Jaina and Jag...no I don't want to know don't tell me...ohhh!! [face_worried]

Have you read the Thrawn Duology, I maintain he is the ONLY writer who can capture Mara Jade perfectly (for good reason of course!).

11. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    If anyone has any of the novel's ( - The Movie's) on CD, I won love to barrow them.
    I have Dark Empire on tape and converted them to CD using the trusty PC.
    Eric

12. Bodknocks_

Bodknocks_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2004
    I just got done reading Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy! Good stuff, good stuff. I'm not very good at reviews and such, but I'll try my best. This review will be a little rushed, and it's covering three books so there's no way I could do it proper justice.

And beware -- Spoilers ahead! Nothing overly major, but be warned in case you haven't read the trilogy.

Heir to the Empire starts out giving us who is perhaps the greatest adversary in all SW EU: Grand Admiral Thrawn. His character really makes the books, and he's so much different than Vader and Palpy that it doesn't seem like a rehash of the OT trilogy at all. Most of this book revolves around the mysterious Imperial uprising, and Talon Karrde and his organization. Joruus C'Baoth's character was kinda downplayed in this book, but he saw plenty of action in the next two.

Dark Force Rising was better than I expected it to be. Usually when I read book trilogies, the second book suffers heavily from "bridge syndrome", or in other words, trying to connect the stuff from the first book while still saving lots of good stuff for the third book. This book didn't have any of that though, it was a pretty solid read all the way through. Things really start to develop here, and you can start to see all the little subplots tie in.

The Last Command is where it all comes down. Once I got into this book, I ended up reading it in two or three sittings. Some parts at the ending were a little confusing (I still have no idea what Lando and Chewie were doing) but overall, the book was great and I liked it a lot.

What can I say: Zahn's the man. If you've never read a Star Wars book before, this is a good place to start. You don't have to have any prior knowledge of the Expanded Universe or anything. Zahn really knows what he's doing, you can tell he researched the OT well. He really captures the Big Three's characters, and I really enjoyed his new characters (Mara, Thrawn, Karrde).

I don't really have many complaints. Zahn tends to use a lot of little phrases over and over again, such as characters saying "Point," or the word "dryly." And every time Thrawn says a word it's either "cold," "icy," or "chilling." But these Zahnisms don't really detract from the story.

I really wanted to see Luke kick butt at the end of The Last Command, but he never really did which was a let down for me. The story is fine how it is, I was just hoping for a Luke/C'Baoth confrontation and it never really came to full stride. Mara ended up taking him down, and she took down Luuke as well, so Luke was a little out of the action. But that's more

If I had one complaint, it would be that Zahn writes himself into a corner. The Imperial's plan was flawless, and it's mainly from sheer dumb luck that the New Republic managed to win in the end. I suppose it could have been much worse, and it certainly wasn't Deus Ex Machina, but Thrawn's plan was fool proof. Sure, he didn't see the Nohgri thing coming, but the really it came down to a lot of "lucky" timing on the NR's part. They should have been toast, and should be counting their blessings that Thrawn got whacked and Wayland got blown up just in the nick of time, because they would have got pwned.

"The Thrawn Trilogy" are by far the best Star Wars books I've ever read, and I would suggest them even to a casual SW fan.

13. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I am a HUGE fan of Dark Force's and story's of Kyle Kerton, The guy that actually stole the DS plan's!

14. Sword_of_SPEA

Feb 14, 2005
    Read The Swarm War last night, I'll wait before posting my review, because it's a bit earlier to think. I'll modify this post probably after my morning work, but oh goodness! How much do I love Troy Denning!! Zahn maybe the best writer of Mara...but I think Denning writes Han and Leia like no one else can.

And Luke rules!:D

My Swarm War Review

Just a couple things, the review is spolier-refic! So be warned about that. Plus I wrote it at work so I didn't have the pages of notes and text and other materials to spread in front of me. It was Word and the Book.

15. TheQueenMother

Nov 17, 2004
    Just in case you missed it or didn't want to go searching for it in the pages and pages of "OMG *squeee*" and other such things that appear when these are announced... I bring you the Dramatis Personae for the upcoming start of the Legacy series... the shortened version. *highlight to read, blocked out for possible spoilers*

Aidel Saxan (human female)
    Ben Skywalker (human male)
    Brisha Syo (human female)
    C-3PO (protocol droid)
    Cal Omas, Chief of State, Galactic Alliance (human male)
    Gilad Pellaeon, Admiral, Galactic Alliance (human male)
    Han Solo, Captain, Millennium Falcon (human male)
    Heilan Rotham (human female)
    Jacen Solo, Jedi Knight (human male)
    Jaina Solo, Jedi Knight (human female)
    Kolir Hu'lya, Jedi Knight (Bothan female)
    Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master (human male)
    Lysa Dunter, Ensign, Galactic Alliance (human female)
    Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi Master (human female)
    Nelani Dinn, Jedi Knight (human female)
    R2-D2 (astromech droid)
    Syal Antilles, Ensign, Galactic Alliance (human female)
    Thann Mithric, Jedi Knight (Falleen male)[face_thinking]
    Thrackan Sal-Solo, Head of State, Corellia (human male)
    Tiu Zax, Jedi Knight (Omwati female)
    Toval Seyah, Doctor (human male)
    Tycho Celchu, General, Galactic Alliance (human male)
    Wedge Antilles, General, Corellia (human male)
    Zekk, Jedi Knight (human male)

I realize that a certain adopted Princess seems to be missing but again this is the short list and Sue will be adding a few characters to it she thinks. I also realize another royal is missing and yes, I shed a bit of a tear. I know there will be Hapens and the like but still.... and she's adding more characters.

There is also a small excerpt from somewhere in the book on her blog if you'd like to check that out. It's not much but it's cute and made me all happy and giggly.

And upon further digging in the blog it seems that Legacy will be a happy birthday to me kinda thing in June with Bloodlines to follow in September (just in time for anticipation to build to a crecendo for Molly, Auston and I's trip south to Dragon*Con) and Tempest to follow in December.

Sara [face_peace]

16. Sword_of_SPEA

Feb 14, 2005
    While I'm disgruntuled about the Dramatis Personale for Betrayl, I always have hope (he wasn't listed in the other books and showed up!![face_praying]).

Regardless, I believe that Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn is released the 31st of January, unless they changed it...again. This is a prequal book, and anything written by Zahn is golden. Perhaps those planning on reading it could get together some Sunday and discuss it, like a real book club! [face_idea] Thoughts?

17. commander_cody_fan

May 22, 2005
    i have yet another question. way back in the 3rd grade i read a star wars book about some blue alien species that fed travelers to their planet, and in return sucked out nutrients with their tongues. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me the name of the book, or some usefull info i forgot about it so i can describe it to my friend better.
    thanks.

18. Bodknocks_

Apr 4, 2004
    Ahhh, I believe you are thinking of the "Galaxy of Fear" series. I remember reading the first couple of those books when I was a little squirt, they had awesome 3D covers of random alien zombies and such (kinda silly, actually). The series isn't generally considered very good, and most people pretend that it isn't part of the canon. However, as more and more retcons and canon clean-ups continue to pour in from StarWars.com's staff, more and more people like including series' like "Galaxy of Fear". It's pretty much undisputed that "The Jedi Prince" series is part of the continuity, despite being the most hated series in existance; "Galaxy of Fear" could very well be following suit.

And besides -- if I liked them when I was about 11-years-old, they can't be too bad, can they? ;)

More info on Galaxy of Fear

Info on Book One: "Eaten Alive"

There are certainly a lot of blue skinned aliens in the Star Wars universe, but the Enzeen of planet D'vouran definately the one's you're thinking of. I Hope I helped! :D

D'vouran and it's inhabbitants

D'vouran... Sithspawn, I just now said that outloud and realized -- Oh Force, nevermind... *faceplant*

What are you talking about? Zekk was listed! ;) :p

Yeah right, talk about a book I've read? Psshhh... [face_whistling]

19. commander_cody_fan

May 22, 2005
    Thanks, that is definately the book. And it was definately cheesy.

20. TheQueenMother

Nov 17, 2004
    Just to pick up discussion a bit...

What is everyone's favorite book/series/moment from the EU? Post an answer to one or all three if they're all different.

I guess I should answer my own question...

Book: Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton- We all knew it was going to happen but because of schedules Leia and Han take for EVER to finally tie the knot. And even then it takes a Hapen prince and his consortum, Han winning a backwater planet of witches in a card game and the Hapen Gun of Command in his crazed hands to get the union to happen. Reasons why I like it... it was the first Star Wars "novel I'd really finished back in the day, it introduces Isolder and Teneniel Djo and that whole side of the galaxy making way for Tenel Ka (dur), the way that Han and Leia finally get together is classic Han/Leia. It's a welcomed departure I think from the "OMG, GALATIC WAR! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!1!1" story lines that have been cropping up *cough Dark Nest and NJO;)* lately. I mean, our heros deserve a book or two off just to be normal and have a normal life, right?

Series: Young Jedi Knights by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta, hands down, everytime. I still, as a 21 year old, enjoy reading these kids books. Maybe because the characters mean so much to me and the development of my life (if there had been no YJK I'd have never met Molly for instance ) is the reason I can over look the mediocre writing and stuff. I mean, Tenel Ka, the Solo twins and Lowie are living, breathing characters to me and I've met so many good friends because of them. Hands down YJK, forever.

Moment: Blocked out for Dark Nest spoilers. Highlight to read... you've been warned! [face_shame_on_you] The moment where Tenel Ka introduces Jacen to their daughter. The realization that Jacen has a child and that everything has changed in the galaxy for him was amazing. I'm going to admit that I cried a little bit. I'd been waiting HOW many years for positive cannon evidence that TK/J had some sort of relationship and that was it. Granted this caused a few problems for the whole passel of characters that STILL hasn't been resolved (Jacen needs to tell his folks at least because they deserve to see their first granddaughter and have a relationship with the child before it's to late). This is a plot line that I hope won't be dropped in Legacy because I just need resolution, be it death (OMG NO!) or a wedding between Jacen and Tenel Ka or Tenel Ka and someone else... I just... it needs resolution or I will loose it.

Yeah so I can't wait to hear whatelse you guys enjoy so far about the EU. We'll see how much of this starts to change in June with the release of the Legacy series. [face_thinking]

Sara D. [face_peace]

21. Bodknocks_

Apr 4, 2004
    Oh boy... well, I haven't read a majority of the EU yet, but I'd have to say that so far these are my picks.

Book: The Last Command by Timothy Zahn - The final chapter of the Thrawn Trilogy is by far the best novel I've read so far. There have been many other books and comics I've read that I really enjoyed, but this one tops them all. It's got everything in it, but since I've already reviewed the book in this thread, I'll spare you all the time.

Series: X-Wing series. Mainly because it's the only series I've fully read. :p It's really good though! I only have Starfighters of Adumar left, I've read the first eight and they were all pretty cool (some more than others). My favorites are probably Iron Fist and Isard's Revenge. The Rogues and Wraiths are AWESOME! Long live Alliance pilots!

Moment: I have lots of moments I like! I guess I'll narrow it down to two.

- Han and Yoda meet each other in the ANH: Infinities. This scene was great, and all the dialogue between Han, Luke, and Yoda was priceless. If you thought watching Luke and Yoda banter in ESB was good, wait until Han gets in there with them. A hilarious and very unique moment in the EU.

- This next one is a major spoiler for "X-Wing: Iron Fist" so highlight at your own risk: The death of Ton Phanan. Probably the best written death scene I've ever read in all of fiction. Amazing moment in the EU, priceless, and worth the cost of reading the first six and a half X-Wing books to get to it. I could picture it perfectly, Phanan dieing in the arms of his best friend, all alone in a swamp. His artifical eye, staring up at the Super Star Destroyer orbiting the moon in the night-time sky... amazing stuff.

Umm... I guess that's it!

22. Sword_of_SPEA

Feb 14, 2005
    I suppose I should answer this as well, seeing as how I read the EU too! Gosh, this is like making me choose between my children!! (not really, I don't have any kids!)

I think I have to friggin' highlight a lot because of spoilers to people.

Favorite Book Champions of the Force, and that's hard because I love the entire series (but strangely, not my favorite...weird huh?). I just liked the whole trilogy, but this last book when Luke's first crop of Jedi finally come into their own and defeat Exar it's just brilliant. Little Jacen and Jaina protecting their Uncle, and Cilgal's healing of Mon Mothma, it's just whoa!

SeriesI'm with Sara on this one, the YJK series. It was the first Star Wars series I read, and yeah to me know the writing and some of the lines are just a bit kitchy (corny in Hilliker-speak), but it's great. I love just sitting down and reading through the ones I have. Brings back found memories. Plus, the introduction of some of my favorite EU character.

Moment I love the ending of Dark Journey, well not the very end, but the exchange between Ta'Chume (whatever, I am not in a spelling mood) and Jaina and then the exchange between Jaina and Tenel Ka. They could have ended the book there and I would have been happy. I mean, this is just a classic line: ?I am seldom mistaken, but now I see that you are a fool, like your mother before you.? pg 298

[face_skull]

23. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I love the Champ's of the Force too.I'm right there with ya Molly.
    :)

24. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    My personal favorite is the subset in the Rogue Squadron series telling the tale of the mighty Wraith Squadron. I found it to be an enjoyable blend of humor and action, not to mention making my inner child fill with glee at the mental image of an ewok x-wing pilot.
    Also, I would be interested in a "book club" however I don't know when I would have time right now.

Bryan

25. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    I just remembered my favorite non-canon SW novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye. I believe it was written before Empire and I remember reading it in fourth or fifth grade.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.