main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Star Wars: Forces of Destiny Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Diego Lucas, Apr 12, 2017.

1. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    So... no new episode tonight?

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The televised special is supposed to be tonight, and Disney Channel is running ads that corroborate that, but it's not showing up in the show listings, so we don't know exactly when it'll air.

podjazd and DanielUK like this.
  3. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    This roll out has been very poorly organized.

podjazd and SilentGuy66 like this.
  4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Online series tend to be based on the audience viewing at what time. A lot of high profile YouTube channels will flip around the schedule until they figure out the best time. Days of the week have a significant factor, too; Sundays tend to see channels push releases back a few hours.

5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Then why did the official SW website announce a precise schedule including the exact minute of release time?

So many excuses made for this series.

podjazd and SilentGuy66 like this.
  6. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The first short Sands of Jakku just aired during the first commercial of Despicable Me, so I assume every commercial break for something tonight we'll get a short.

Diego Lucas likes this.
  8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The Galaxy's finest, done in by a Tooka.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So there was no television special yesterday, but just an airing of the individual episodes?

Now I'm really starting to wonder how Maz and her narration fits into all this. We have seen animatics with her, and we've heard her say "it's a nice night for telling stories".

Have we gotten any clues as to when the second half of the season will air? More than just "the fall" I mean.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I imagine before rebels season 4, so maybe early fall?

11. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Seems likely!

starfish likes this.
  13. Daveisbored

Daveisbored Jedi Knight

Feb 8, 2017
    In all the writings about this series, they seem to highlight returning people from the films. I'd just assume this means Han's not voiced by Harrison Ford.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will admit to being incredibly intoxicated for maybe viewing a third of these so the Chewie gets abducted by a Wampa one I kinda forgot but the highlights, same with the Ahsoka runs to her meeting one. But man that Wampa one is weird but I am a fan of Echo Base was besieged by Wampas cut plotline. The Jyn one I liked but just cuz I like seeing Jyn do stuff and I'm sure every once in awhile she just wanted to bash some bucketheads for the hell of it. The Padme/Ahsoka & Leia/Sabine ones were less than memorable but had their moments (more IG-88 in anything and food presentation as an actual plot point). Personally, my favourite one was the first two because need more Rey content, dangit. And also I get a disproportionate amount of joy seeing Rey just doing scavenging stuff and dealing with angry Teedos, which I could actually watch about an hour and 30 minutes of. BB-8 add in was a bonus.

Isn't there supposed to be an animation bit with Maz? cuz I remember the trailer had her saying "It is a fine night for telling stories" Maybe that'll be on the broadcast version.

15. Binary sunset hermit

Binary sunset hermit Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2017
    I'm quite enjoying these short animations. :) They are quite refreshing to just pick up and watch. And for those who have picked up on it in this thread, you can guess where in the specific movie it should fit in, or naming the character or species and whether any connections can be made to the movie.

@BigAl6fy6, I am quite pleased that Both skywalkers have now encountered a Wampa. The force was with Leia in this one. :)

Im sure Maz will make an appearance in a future episode.

Keep em coming, can't wait till the next one.

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Yes.
    I assumed it was how all the episodes started.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I saw the numbers and they weren't that high. I personally didn't like them too much. The truth is what made the micro series awesome was the diversity of action. This is more of trying to get little character stories than actually being creative with story telling. Too singular for taste. Definitely not looking forward to the next eight. Sorry if this offends some of you but I could do without these.

revan772 and SunnyNelson like this.
  18. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    Same here. I watched the first two, and decided to ignore the rest. It's a bit too kiddified for my taste.

19. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I agree, not really a fan at all. I doubt I'll bother watching them again. And why would that offend anyone?

20. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    It doesn't offend me.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They are not bad per say. They just dont do anything.

22. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I saw the story about dwindling viewing numbers. I simply forgot about it, but I had a vacation after watching the first couple of episodes and have been slowly getting back to the usual at-home routine. I even spent all of Thursday thinking it was Wednesday.

23. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think these shorts have the potential to gain more of a following over time, since they're on youtube and can be viewed / shared at any time. They aren't near the level that was established in the CW shorts, but I can see the appeal to younger kids - which is who they're intended for. Frankly, I think the only reason they were dubbed canon is so adult fans would watch them as well, though they likely have little impact on the overall saga.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

It is canon because this is the policy going forward on all media material. The "deleted scenes" feel is probably down to it being the most easiest option for making these shorts canon; when you're covering near enough the entire timeline, there are plenty of opportunities to cause contradictions and massive plot holes. Forces of Destiny could have easily become a nightmare for the team, if they tried to crowbar in entire new stories into either the PT, OT or ST trilogies.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  25. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I loved these. Especially watching them consecutively. They're nothing to get upset over, either. They're two minute shorts intended to promote the new Forces of Destiny product line. Not really supposed to have some huge story impact, or even tell a deep story. They just showcase the heroine in a quick little bit of heroism, we don't need a narrative. And there's enough of one in there for me to satisfy my SW love. Comparing these to the old CW shorts isn't really fair. Those were designed totally different, and was mainly cut up from a huge story. They weren't snippets of different characters in different eras. And they were designed for a story to coincide with the CW multimedia project. FoD is meant to sell toys, and that's not a bad thing IMO. Made me want to go out and get the new figures when they release, which I will.

Sudooku likes this.