main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Star Wars & Lord of the Rings Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JacenHornSolo, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacenHornSolo

JacenHornSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2002
    With less than two weeks til the opening of the L.O.T.R. The Two Towers, the only other movie to rival Star Wars this year, we're all a little anxious.

What are your thoughts on this conundrum? Do you enjoy LOTR? Or would you rather it to have never been made?

The Jedi Council must prepare itself carfully to fully understand its foe.
    Let us discuss this problem. What do you like about the film? What don't you like? And remotely, how can it reate to Star Wars?

[Blaspheme: I'm going to the midnight showing :D ]

Just making this the official thread on this subject, since I've failed to find one.

2. sidiousmd

sidiousmd Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2002
    LOTR rules, and so does SW, i like them both and i'm glad they both exist.

Why is it an enemy of SW? It is just another movie, no more no less.

3. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I love LOTR...sometimes I crave The Return of the King more. . .sometimes EIII. . .depends on the mood.

4. Jedi_KitFisto

Jedi_KitFisto Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2002
    I like the lotr's books but the movie was kinda dull, star wars has no competition this year so let's sit back an relax....

P.S. its snowing hard here in jersey!!!!!

5. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    LOTR is great, but you cannot compare SW with LOTR. They are two different genres. I love them both! SW rules, though...

Kit...what part of Jersey are ya' in?

6. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    um how is LOTR the only movie to rival SW?since Spiderman (which came out 2 weeks before SW-I know cause I bought my ticket for SW when I went to see Spiderman) was its biggest rival this year.

I will get hurt probably for saying this I but think did more money and was in the theaters longer then SW? I just don't understand how LOTR is the only rival? Aree we also forgetting Harry Potter which is kicking everyone elses butt this year so far at the theaters?

just a thought. I enjoy them all and find it is not wrong to enjoy things that may not coincide with Star Wars and rivals it. but hey that is just me.

7. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    To each their own, I guess.

I don't think Harry Potter can stand the test of time like SW or LOTR will. Spiderman I was greatly disappointed in. The reason SW was in the theaters for a shorter amount of time was the simple matter that the DVD was coming out so quickly. They wanted to drive the demand for the DVD as high as they could. The only way to do that was to take the movie off the market for awhile. Also, the IMAX version of the film was about to be released, too.

Good to see you Varza!

8. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    But the Spider-Man DVD also came out weeks earlier.

How exactly are we defining competition here? If we're talking $, then Spider-Man won. If we're talking quality, then how exactly do you measure that? I honestly don't get the rivalry some fans try to make up between films.

9. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

It would appear many fans of Star Wars are also fans of LOTR and enjoy it.

I don't see it as competition, and really, I couldn't care less how well it or Star Wars did for that matter at the box office.

It really isn't worth my worry!

10. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    thats why I was wondering why only LOTR was being considered comptetion for SW? It depends on the catagory at least to compare it to.

as for making the demand larger I don't think they needed to worry on that. Spiderman sold out and was in theaters the until it came oout on video. Horax too bad you didn't like it. I think they did a great job with it- and not just because I love the director.As for HP I think it will since they have contracted already for the 7 films over a period of 10 yrs and is absoutly huge. I was there with all the kids dressed up as Hogwarts students-pretty cute actually.

I was just wondering why LOTR was the only enemy to SW... (good to see you to horax)

11. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Everyone can like what they want.

I thought this thread was about a fight between the council and a lord of the ring.

12. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Aree we also forgetting Harry Potter which is kicking everyone elses butt this year so far at the theaters?

Um, HP2 is doing not so well. Out of Spider-Man, AOTC, and TTT it will do the worst.

13. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Hey I'm from Jersey too, and yeah it sure is snowing. I like LOTR I never read the books but I enjoyed the first movie since I'm into that genre, whatever it would be. I can't wait for the two towers.

14. SexyStarWarschic

SexyStarWarschic Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I I can't decide Lord of The Rings kicks some serious @$$ Though! But I'm so going for Star Wars! Because I'm a Star Wars fan and I have to stay ture to my Star Wars obession! :D

15. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I love LOTR. But I love SW more.

It's as simple as that :D

16. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I love LOTR. I love Star Wars. The choice you have given me is very difficult.

But I love them both equally. However, I've been reading the LOTR books for a long time now and was kinda disappointed by some of the things they took out of the movie (but they changed that with the Extended Edition). I'm looking forward to both TTT and Return of the King. Speaking of which, time to start reading TTT again. :)

17. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    The Lord Of The Rings can never stand up to Star Wars.

18. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    LOTR was great, but Star Wars is Star Wars..it's the best.

19. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    I dont want to be one of those people who just slams his fist down and resents everything about LOTR, but it just seems to me like it's the SW camp who ends up calmly going "come on guys, they are BOTH good movies," while the LOTR people (or at least the ones I hear) are the ones who quickly say "SW is dead, LOTR is the ultimate form of entertainment in the universe."

Im overstating this bit, but you know what i mean. And as a die hard SW fan, it's hard to hear this kind of thing repeatidly and not automatically respond in kind.

Does this make any sense?

20. ksid

ksid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    That's because Star Wars is better.

We like to be on the higher plane and be more broad-minded, than the lotr fascists.

21. A-New-Hope

A-New-Hope Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2002
    Like many above, I love both LOTR and SW AOTC. However, I cannot watch the whole LOTR dvd movie again since many of the scenes drag on (mainly those with Frodo) while AOTC really moves along for the most part.

Overall, I don't think any franchise can compare to the SW franchise. Well, Indy Jones comes close.

22. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Please, you people are only defending Star Wars so much because you grew up with it. Is AOTC really a better movie than FOTR acting-wise? I mean really? Not because your hardcore SW fans, but as people watching a movie, doesn't LOTR just have great and involving story. I mean I love both, AOTC has awesome action, but you can't tell me that the story doesn't "drag on" a little also in places. Besides LOTR truly is one long story, unlike SW, which is one long saga with different stories in it. LOTR is truly meant to be seen as one movie. No time goes by in-between the movies, they pick up right where they left off. It is all one story, sure the first part is going to be a little slowing it is just the beggining of the story. Just wait 'til you see TTT and especialy ROTK. You want action, you will get it, you want huge battles, you will get bigger ones than has ever been seen in SW. Feel free to flame me all you want, I love SW and LOTR both and I'm proud of it.

23. A-New-Hope

A-New-Hope Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2002
    {{Flaming Weezyslob...SSHHHHAAAZZZZAAMMMM!!}}

:D

Much like the Ewoks, all the little Munchkins in FOTR was very annoying, the one with the Axe was bad, Liv Tyler was a bit over acting (I think she's a great actress but not in FOTR). I love Gandalff. I agree that some parts in AOTC dragged (speeder chase, droid factory, anything on Tatooine) but some of the acting was very good- Obi Wan, Palpatine, Dooku, Yoda :p. I hope TTT won't disappoint.

24. JacenHornSolo

JacenHornSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2002
    For the record, I think that far too many SW "fanboys" whine about LotR ( or Spider-man for that matter. )

Take a chill pill and go see all of the movies. Whatever one is "better" only matters to you.

Sturm Anilles said some good words there.

I'm pleased with the response this got. I'd like to say, the statement that made the most impression on me. Was the most simple. Therefore, the most effective.

I love LOTR. But I love SW more.

Good job, SW-TPM.

Anywho, I believe they are both great films. No other (I'm going to be very carful with my words here) Science Fiction/Fantasy film will affect the world quite like Star Wars.

There is no arguing that.

I love the L.O.T.R. books, and I was kinda hoping for a movie years ago, and when I heard about it, I was frightened. I thought, "Well, that's it. They've gone and done it. They've mass marketed a cheaply produced fanboy film, where anyone without any knowledge of the book would leave the movie saying, "Cool effects, but I'm gonna go to McDonalds now." And anyone with knowledge of the book would say, "What The Crap Did I Just Waste My Money On!!?""
    But I'll tell you, I am more than happy with the outcome. There is now no one I'd rather have directing LOTR. Even Speilberg, or Raimi. Now don't misunderstand. I love them to death, esp. Raimi (You know what I'm talking about you Evil Dead fanatics! And you TV watchers, remember Hercules, Xena, and Brisco?). But there is no one, even them, with enough passion, other than Jackson, to pull this off. And the actors!

Wow!!!

That's all I can say.
    Not to discredit Lucas at all. Star Wars is my true love. I don't think any film will go as far as SW. Look, heck, we even have our own Council Forums! Do you see LOTR forums, like this??
    I don't think they were poor actors in SW, either. Mark, Harrison, Alec, Frank, Ian, Ewan, Natalie, Anthony, Kenny....

Those are superb actors, and I enjoy there preformace every time, even the 503 time.

But something extraordinary must be said about the charecters of L.O.T.R.

I'm an actor myself, and that doesn't grant me any more discernment. But I think I understand some of the actor's feelings more. Aside from that, the actors in LOTR, were not "acting," they were "being." There was no difference between Vigo, and Aragorn. They are the same person. There is no "make believe," or "acting." They "become" that person. Elijah, no matter how much I feel biased against him, there's no denying he is a great actor. The same goes for most of the fellowship. But lastly, Ian McKellen deserves the most credit. He became Gandalf the Grey, and never turned back. He was absolutly spectacular!!! I could watch just the scenes with him over, and over again; and that would be enough! I was screaming when they didn't award him the best supporting actor! Well that's the end of my thoughts. It's like hitting a brick wall. It's amazing what you can write at 1:30 in the morning, on a school night mind you, when you've just watched Fight Club for the near 15th time..

25. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Good post. If you like SW better than LOTR, that's great. If you like LOTR better than SW, fine. I love them equally. Both have good actors, I agree. LOTR does have discussion forums on theonering.net, not as good as these but they are there. You have to understand it's just plain different. LOTR is from 50 year old books, SW is fairly new comared to it. Just different types of fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.