main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Star Wars & Lord of the Rings Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JacenHornSolo, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Why is Lord of the Rings an Enemy of Star Wars? There both shaping themselves into good movies. Why can't these two series live in harmony and love for they are both beautiful and good in their own ways? ;)

2. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Couldn't agree more, Jedi_Learner.

Why do people feel the need to create this competition between the 2 series? why do some die-hard SW fans see LOTR as "the enemy" or "a threat?" Just because LOTR is huge, and obviously will be compared to SW, does that hurt SW in your eyes? Does it hurt you as a fan? If it does, it shouldn't.

I love LOTR, absolutely adore it.

I love SW, absolutely adore it.

See a reccuring theme here? I don't feel I have to pit one against the other. I find myself comparing them sometimes, esspecially in the way they were made, and the different directing styles of PJ and GL. But I love them both, and enjoy them for what they are.

Guess what? I love Harry Potter and Spiderman as well. 8-}

And now my favorite saying when it comes to this topic: "Can't we all just get along?"

3. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    I love LOTR, absolutely adore it.

I love SW, absolutely adore it.

Exactly. :) They're both fantastic movies and I love them both. Oddly, I have never tried to compare them, to me they're different genres. SW is the god of SciFi movies, LotR is the god of Fantasy. They're pretty equal as far as I can tell, neither is really "better" than the other.

And I'm being really redundant... need more sleep...

4. Tiniwiel_Skywalker

Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2002
    I love both of them!

Yoda:My precious it is!

5. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I probably like most people are looking forward to TTT...I thoroughly enjoyed LOTR..gorgeous movie!

However Star Wars is my "home" since I've grown up with the OT and now I am just as obsessed with the PT.

The LOTR trilogy will be great movies...they just won't be (at least to me) the "events" that Star Wars movies were.

And there's only one more! :(

6. DarthMonopolus

DarthMonopolus Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    -The only way LotR compares with SW in anyway is that Chistopher Lee the the bad guy in both movies.

-Spider-man can in no way compare the awsomeness that StarWars and Lord of The Rings have around them.

-I believe harry potter will have it's own following one day (maybe)
    The only reason Harry potter is kicking Ep 2's trash at the box office is because there are parents who don't want to see the movie that have to take their children to see it.
    Hence, take away the parents that don't want to see it but they go anyway, only because their children want to see it.

When you take away those people that don't want to see the movie, then you will have the true number as to why Harry Potter is Kicking trash at the box office. I imagine that the majority of those that see it want to, but you do have to figure that there aree those parents that don't want to see it

And that right there is the only reason Harry Potter is King of the box office (for right now)

However I don't think Harry Potter will not get the huge following that SW or LotR's have right now.

7. The_Ultimate_Fett

The_Ultimate_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2002
    I LOVE the Middle Earth books and Star Wars but if you think about it, they are somewhat similar. Some Star Wars words have translations in elvish.

8. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I love LOTR but I don't consider it a thread to Star Wars. They each have their place and they each will endure through multiple generations. I hold them both in very high regard and I have equal respect for both.

9. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    DarthMonopolus never underestimate the power of children and the draw of Potter. Plus, I was using it as an example that LOTR wasn't the only competition to SW. I was trying to find out what catagory he was using for comparision since the two films aren't even classed in the same catagory of film. One if Sci-Fi and one is Fantasy.

I think this is taken to seriously trying to make one thing better then another. I think the one thing all of the movies have in common is that people are always preaching against them that they are evil.

10. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Giving this a nudge. :)

11. JediMasterEllic_Kier

JediMasterEllic_Kier Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm just thankful we have SW, LOTR, and HP. There was a SERIOUS void of good sci-fi/fantasy a few years ago. THANK GOD for DVD as well!!

12. zam_wesell13

zam_wesell13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2002
    i love LOTR as well!!!

but, you can't really compare em both, coz they're noth diffrent genres. but i guess the concept is kinda the same.

13. Sand Hippie

Sand Hippie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 1999
    [this is going to be a long post with lots of information... not all of it interesting :p ]

Actually, I don't really consider SW and LotR to be different genres at all. Sci-Fi and Fantasy are linked and cannot be completely separated.

The only difference between them is this: Fantasy canNOT happen... Sci-Fi COULD happen.

I can't really classify SW as only a Sci-Fi film because of the whole addition of the Force. It borders on magic, and as a result, blurs the line between sci-fi and fantasy and becomes Sci-Fantasy. A movie like the Matrix is Sci-Fi through and through, but SW isn't, it's part of the reason people like it so much. It crosses boundaries and makes new rules.

Anyway... for reference a stats... here are how the SW, LotR, HP, and Spidey movies rank with respect to all-time money grossing. (Ticket sales... domestic only.) I don't place too much weight in ticket sales, as there are many variables. Advertising, movie quality, length of the film, influence of the studio, etc.

1: SW: ANH ($460M+)
    2: SW: TPM ($430M+)
    3: Spiderman ($403M+)
    4: HP & the SS ($317M+)
    5: LotR: FotR ($313M)
    6: SW: AotC ($309M+)
    7: SW: RotJ ($309M+)
    8: SW: TESB ($290M+)
    9. HP & the CoS ($213M+)

1.ANH is THE CLASSIC SW flick, it's ranked highest on AFI's Top 100 Movie List, and had an extremely successful rerelease.
    2.TPM... we're waiting 14 (?) years for the prequels, and they're finally made, so everyone and their mother goes and sees it, to see what all the hypes about.
    3. I still haven't seen Spiderman, so I'll decline comment.
    4. HP & the SS had an enormous international child following before the movies even came out. So this is going to be a big seller regardless. Plus it was a well done movie in it's own right.
    5. [Blaspemy to follow.] I absolutely loved Fellowship and consider it to be my favorite of all these mentioned. I am absolutely devouring the DVD, something I haven't done with the SW movies (but, to be fair, will definitely do when the OT finally comes out with all that stuff). I think it doesn't rank higher because of it's length. The average movie goer sees it once, and once is enough. For example, THE major movie theatre in my area has only 5 showing of TTT on opening day, a midnight, 10:30 AM matinee, 2:30, 6:30 PM, and 10:30 PM.
    6. The euphoria of the wait is over, so of course it's not going to sell more, even though it's a better movie.
    7. RotJ has Ewoks... so we have the first "commercial" SW movie, and the kids eat it up.
    8. ESB is the darkest of the movies... the average movie goer may have a bad taste in his/her mouth after this movie, even though it's arguably the best of the bunch.
    9. I think they've rushed this new HP movie to get it out and to hold onto the actors for a few more years. Kids are smart... plus it's a sequel of comparible quality (like AotC) so it's not going to do as much.

That's enough for now... I'm going to take a rest... do some actual work here at work... and post in a bit about the "iconability" of the movies and how they'll compare to each other in 10 years.

SH

14. starwarssisterani

starwarssisterani Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    I love them both, in a way its just to hard to choose between them. I have also found many similarities in some of the creatures and the lines said, to me, if you think about it, they aren't all that different.

15. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    Lord of the Rings? Sounds more like a Sonic the Hedgehog game than a film to me.
    *reads the earlier posts*
    *choaks on drink*
    STAR WARS will NEEEVVVEERRRR even come close to Lord of the Rings! I forced myself to sit down and watch my friend's DVD of the first one, and I couldn't fall asleep. I was bored to tears and tried to fall asleep, but I couldn't. :( I don't see how people can like that, but thats just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.