main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

A&A Official Star Wars Publishing Q&A thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 13, 2017.

1. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Del Rey Assistant Editor star 1 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    As a matter of practice, we don't usually share material like that, even if a project is cancelled outright. Early projects are often in a very rough form, the ideas not fully fleshed out yet or ready for any kind of public consumption. Or, sometimes material gets recycled into other projects, in either a direct way, or more thematically as foundation or inspiration for a different story.

And particularly given the fervor around SoJ I would be loathe to ever share any details, since, again, even years later we receive consistent messages and demands that we release these books that we have secreted away in some final form. I don't want to encourage that behavior/thinking in any way.

2. revan772

revan772 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you for your reply. I do not think that they are hidden away, like some, but my optimism still is there that maybe one day Disney will give the thumbs up to do that story arc for Jaina. Thank you again for the reply though, I always love to learn more about the "behind the scenes" on Star Wars books. :)

DarthInternous and kalzeth like this.
  3. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2017
    What are your favorite and least favorite parts of the process of putting a SW book together? @DarthInternous

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    JABoomer likes this.
  4. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Favorite: Developing manuscripts and helping authors craft stories. Obvious? Yes. As fun as it seems? Equally yes.

Least Fav: Very little related to actually getting the book made. There's an administrative aspect to publishing. Certain kinds of documents and reports that need to be put together for production/sales, etc. which can at times become tedious and feel unnecessary (despite being useful to others).

Revanfan1, JABoomer and BookExogorth like this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    @DarthInternous

Is there a particular book or role you played in editing one that you enjoyed and/or are particularly proud of?

Also- in your role, do you ever interact with folks on the Story Group if a question comes up during editing, or is that left to the author?

--Adm. Nick

kalzeth and BookExogorth like this.
  6. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    My specific contributions or accomplishments aren't really things I'm comfortable highlighting. Getting to work with the entire SW books team is pretty much the best job. Though I'll say that putting together the recent Canto Bight book was quite enjoyable.

As to your second question - yes, absolutely. We work with the SG and other Lucasfilm teams throughout the life of a book and facilitate the authors interactions with them. Or (in many cases) help resolve the issues ourselves.

7. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    What stories would you recommend to anyone wanting to dive in to the new canon?

8. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Padawan

Aug 30, 2015
    Hi if you can say or not ? in the past has george lucas ever had any input into a legends book or has kathleen kennedy in the new canon ?

9. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 25, 2014
    I see what you did there.

10. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm going to assume this a serious question and not just a fun little gag involving bolding. Perhaps it is both. Regardless.

I usually refuse to make any book recommendations without getting additional information from a reader. Everyone has different interests and they all come to Star Wars and the novels differently. While there are many people who have a go-to book that they recommend to everyone who asks this question, I reject that approach. If pressed, I'll give my personal lists of favorite, but again I don't feel like it's my place to enforce some arbitrary standard of "you must start here" when it comes to reading SW. Unfortunately, I see many readers who do seem to approach new readers that way. It's actually a form of gate-keeping (even if not a particularly insidious one).

So, before we get into talking about any books at all, I would ask this new reader questions about their favorite characters, the movies they love the most, if they have any questions about SW they've always wanted answers to, or aspects of the saga that they want a deeper understanding of. From there I'll make book recommendations. It's about treating readers as individuals, rather than generalizing about them and what they care about because they happen to like Star Wars.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 6 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I never really thought about it but now that you mention it it looks like the ALTA line was a post-reboot thing--how and why did that become a rule?

Ghost, Revanfan1 and BookExogorth like this.
  12. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    It was just another subtle piece of branding to differentiate books between Legends and canon at the time, which we liked and became part of the core design.

AdmiralNick22 and jSarek like this.