main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Didn't see a thread for it, but we've gotten some more news. Felt we needed a thread specifically for speculation on what the next series is going to be about.
    http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/lucasarts-shutdown-triggers-layoffs-at-ilm-1200332765/

The move comes as Lucasfilm prepares for its next era, as it ramps up for what will be the busiest era of film and television production in its history. There will be at least one Star Wars movie a year and a new animated TV series is in the works. But that ramp-up won’t arrive in time to save those jobs.

Seriously thinking it's going to be a post-ROTJ series that comes out sometime in 2015. Either that or it's a "dark times" series. Ahsoka's fate maybe?

2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Hoping it's Dark Times, but doubting it exists at all. Variety is probably just referencing the TCW cancellation announcement which mentions "exploring a new series." Exploring =/= Developing... especially when it can be mentioned as a way of tiding over inevitably-angry fans.

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm sorry, but the thing that caught my attention was the statement, "at least one Star Wars movie a year". I thought Disney were going to be playing the drought game, and make it so you really want EpVII. Now they're going to flood the market? That makes the whole point of a drought... well, pointless.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I thought Iger's initial announcement was to kick things off with Episode VII and then release another film or two every couple years (Episodes 8 and 9 + whatever spinoffs).

The existence of a new animated show has been implied by other sources. Seerow had posted tweets from a couple voice actors mentioning doing recording sessions for a pilot to a new Star Wars show. And the OS itself mentioned that there was going to be a new series set in a time period that hasn't been covered by the films.

I would have figured that the most likely candidate for a time period would be post-ROTJ and pre-Episode VII -- effectively tying into the new trilogy but taking place before it so that there are minimal contradictions.

However, I believe it was the voice actors for Tarkin and Asajj that were reportedly working on the pilot, so while it is possible that they could be voicing completely new characters, another part of me wonders if they are going to make an Ahsoka/Dark Times spinoff or something.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Wasn't that supposed to be Live Action?

6. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    If the LAS is too expensive, I'd be fine with those scripts being turned over into an animated show in TCW-style, but who knows...?

7. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    There was a live-action show planned for the Dark Times, yes.

But an animated show set there most likely wouldn't follow the scripts of the LA show. It'd likely be aimed at the same demographic as TCW, whereas the LA show was supposed to be very adult in nature.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Lucas Animation put so much effort into building up their TCW crew that it would be a horrific waste to end it all now. If Disney wants to keep overhauling stuff, overhaul TCW's writing staff and director and put new people in charge. Just keep the animators and techies.

AkashKedavra_93 and 07jonesj like this.
  9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yeah that would be one way to do things. A waste indeed, seems like Filoni is sticking around though. Not sure if thats good or bad.

10. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
  11. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, the article says that he'll be involved in the series, working with animation.

That would be a good thing, as that's where his talent is.

The article doesn't mention him "helming" it. If he does, it will have Ahsoka and Plo Kloon in it, we know that.

I wish the article had given us a better idea of what the series would be about.

13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    We're discussing this in the Episode VII forum, but basically I'm thinking 6 movies - the ST (2015, 2017, 2019) and the "spinoff trilogy" (Solo 2016, Kenobi or Yoda 2018, Fett in 2020). Marvel does that and more and still makes an amazing profit on each movie, same with Pixar. Besides, we were getting a 22 minute Clone Wars episode every week - there's a whole 24 hours more worth of total Clone Wars episodes than there are of the entire Star Wars saga itself.

07jonesj likes this.
  14. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
  15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I do love every film in Marvel Phase I.

I've got no problem with this if quality remains consistent, but I worry that will not be so. That's a good point about TCW though, I've readily accepted having 8 hours of that a year. A contradiction, and one should I be mindful of. May even fuel some optimism.

16. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Well with a Dark Times show, they already have a bunch of polygons and sets "built" that they can use again.

Unless my idea of animation is wrong, they don't have to recreate a new Anakin every single scene. They just copy, paste and animate different movements.

If they did a Dark Times show, having it act as a Clone Wars sequel of sorts would help it. Because they already have all these different characters and sets polished and done, they can focus on the new sets and characters.

17. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Re: animation quality...

Well, it's paraphrased, but the IGN article says Filoni's staying at Lucasfilm Animation. It calls the company by name. That might mean that the layoffs were genuinely only temporary, or that the high-turnover low-level animator positions will be replaced.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It's easy to imagine that if Filoni has his druthers, the new animatred show he's involved with will be centered around the 'Dark Times' period, with Ahsoka and the story of her fate once again playing a central role.

While the character of Ahsoka Tano has admittedly grown on me over the years, her story is most certainly not where I'd want the focus of any Imperial period show to be. Give me the fledgling Rebellion (the Senators, the guerillas and militias, the gun-runners, the Separatist holdouts and the everyday heroes we've never imagined), the story of the Galactic Empire, as it grinds its heel into the freedoms of the galaxy, and the Sith as Palpatine plots and Vader and the 501st hunt-down and purge the known universe of Jedi. I want to see the criminal element flourish, too. There's just so much to tell without worrying about putting some misguided compulsion to complete the story arc of a single A-/B+ level character ahead of other storylines, much more important to the story of the saga as a whole. If she survives Order 66 (and it looks as though she may, I wouldn't mind seeing Ahsoka appear from time-to-time, but even after five years of character development, I still just don't see Tano as an A-level, Luke/Leia/Anakin/Obi-Wan type who merits a second starring vehicle.

Now, if I'm given my preference (yeah, right - imagine that!), as much as I'd love, love, love a series set between ROTS and ANH, this new animated series will take us to the time period following Return of the Jedi and take us up to Episode VII. There are thirty years of stories to tell and it would be a wonderful opportunity for us to witness the major events from this time period (Luke setting up the New Jedi Order, the close of the Galactic Civil War, etc.), leading into the new films. Perhaps most vital of all, the series could serve as our introduction of the Sequel Trilogy's new generation of heroes, filling in any integral moments to their stories the occur before before Episode VII picks up the story (for example, Luke's marriage and the birth of his son (if, as I hope, Luke is to have one). It seems to make the most sense, to me, that the series will relate somehow to the ST, but the fact of the matter is, I'll be watching no matter when the series is set. I'm sure to give just as much of my time and affection to, say, an 'Old Republic' series, as I would any other.

Finally, I'll just say that I'm happy to see Filoni has apparently survived Disney's version of the 'Great Purge' and will be on-board, in whatever capacity, for this new production. I really hope we see more news about the show soon. I wonder if we've any chance at all of seeing this thing premier before Episode VII? How long was TCW in production before it aired? If they're just getting warmed up, as of now, is a 2014 airdate at all realistic? In my excitement for all things Star Wars, I can't help but wonder.

19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I believe the earliest concept art for TCW is dated 2005. Of course it all depends on if they're still using CG animation, and there is no standard time on how long the pre-production process can take.

20. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The series WILL take place post ROTJ. Disney has made it clear that they have no interest in any Star Wars media that does not directly contribute to the episode 7 hype train, and a TV Show set in a completely different era would be exactly the kind of distraction they want to avoid.

This could actually be an awesome series, especially if they are keeping Filoni (and hopefully some other TCW veterans) and actually treat the material with respect.

One thing that excites me about a new series is that, while TCW retroactively improved the prequels by adding extra character development and history, this new series could do the same thing while we are watching the sequel trilogy unfold. Disney could be unfolding a whole shared universe of characters, locations, and events between the TV show and the films in a way that the prequels and TCW never had a chance to do.

Poor Greedo and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  21. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Yeesh, where's the mind-trick hand wave?

Anyway, what Disney made clear was that they were only interested in post-ROTJ material leading up to VII. A Dark Times series would serve as promotion for the young Han/Fett/Obi-Wan spinoffs, one of which would likely come the following year.

Also, didn't somebody around here say some voice actors were already recording a new SW pilot? What's that all about... and just how incorrect was it? Because that can't possibly have slipped past so many people...

22. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I was initially semi-excited about the recording session Tweeted about, until someone pointed out the studio building was rented or leased so it could have been something not even SW related. But why tweet something like that to SW fans if it is unrelated? I initially assumed there was a connection and this info has me hopeful again there is some pilot episode that's midway into production. Outlining, story boarding and scripting is done if voice recording is starting. Animation is usually done after in order to sync the voices with lip movements.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04...developing-the-next-star-wars-animated-series

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Oh, so it wasn't explicit, but... still. I like those odds.

24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    That article gives me the impression Filoni is staying involved with Lucas Animation and working on the news animated show. Duh he is going to be working with animation then. That's cool. Perhaps we'll see something closer to TCW's original concept.

Yeah, this thread is a dupe, merging and fixing up the other thread's tittle slightly to encourage people to post news about the new animated show there..

07jonesj likes this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm glad Filoni is staying in the Lucasfilm family. He brought many good qualities to TCW that the new show will need. One of those is sheer dedication. Filoni was involved with the show for years before it even aired.

Vizzy91, pronker, Foxtrot_97 and 5 others like this.