main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Unfortunately, Ahsoka's Tano, it's not Ahsoka bashing. Dave made it clear that he favors Ahsoka above all.

2. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I know how the themes of the tragedy of the clones and loss they felt aren't ones that you particularly care for, but the tragedy of Fives' death to me was that he was so close to blowing the lid off the conspiracy that was right under their noses. And that apparently no one else that we know of actually cared to investigate, though that may change with the re-introduction of the clone trio.

IMO, the reason the clones got the feel sorry for us vibe was because they were to a large extent expendable and forced into the situation even though they were manufactured for the purpose yet were sentient. By in large, most of the clones were happy with their lot of serving the Republic as soldiers as that is all they could see themselves doing. I do wonder though if had the series progressed further, as was the case with Fives, that some of the clones would have seen themselves as progressing beyond what they were designed to do. The clone that went AWOL and ended up actually having a family comes to mind. I don't know if I would have been a fan of exploring that direction particularly, but I wonder if they would have explored them essentially exploring their humanity. The clones were this franchise's version of Data from TNG. Designed to do be something, but making the choice to expand beyond the original programming.

Vthuil likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I could feel sorry for the clones because of what you said, they were expendable and forced into the situation. And I was initially interested in the exploration of their humanity.

Then the entire scenario got overblown, with episodes written specifically for emotional manipulation, and much of the pro-clone writing being done at the Jedi's expense. It got to the point where it backfired and I just could not care about the clones anymore.

There were other ways to humanize the clones and show how they got exploited by Palpatine's government.

I'm playing wait-and-see as far as Rex's introduction. It could go very well or very badly.

Valairy Scot and jabberwalkie like this.
  4. thatotherjedi

thatotherjedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    Why wouldn't he? She is fraking awesome.

speaking of melodramatic.... [face_hypnotized]

A Lovable Jerk and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't understand why emotional manipulation in story telling would be a bad thing. It's usually a sign of a good writer if he/she understands how an audience will react to a certain scene. It's not the same as being heavy-handed, like Filoni often was.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    We can't always expect such a "touching" moment like this.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Where does he say, "I think Ahsoka is by far the best character in the history of the SW saga, and I'm going to let it be known!!!!"

pepoluan likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's the being heavy-handed and/or putting forth a plot point for the sole purpose of getting an emotional reaction that is bad.

Understanding the audience is different.

As far as Filoni putting Ahsoka above other characters--he owned it in an interview about season 5, owned his "attachment" to her. If GG doesn't respond to this before I get home, I'll look it up from there.

9. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Actions speak louder than words.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Every night in front of the mirror before he goes to bed, I'd assume.

11. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    They're on "a mission" in Dave's room.

https://twitter.com/dave_filoni/status/619568846567927809

12. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Being forced to think and/or feel a certain way isn't the same as understanding the emotions of an audience. It's no coincidence that the show's final seasons veered toward a more anti-Jedi route, positioning them as easily manipulated warlords that used innocent whiny clones at their expense. Perfect Ahsoka Tano wanted nothing to do with that.

I Ahsoka bashed to make my point clear

14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well Ashoka is a big hit naturally on her own, but that said perhaps a reason Filoni is so close to the character(aside from creating her) is that they(Disney/Lucasfilm) want to tap into the female fan base which was part've the reason for her creation in part by Filoni and Lucas. So there is that element of the Tano character being used as a tool to that means to integrate more female fans more so now with J.J. Abrams pushing his diversity politics into the brand(there was a news article recently about that), not that SW ever needed politicization imo, but there is a political agenda involved I think.

Am sure if the storyline calls for they'd end up killing a lot of our favorite characters, Luke, Chewie and Han are rumored to be kiilled off every so often, so if characters like that can go then am sure Tano would be at some point as well. Its doubtful Filoni is ruling Lucasfilm as an Al Capone but am sure he's got some pull.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  15. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I would have liked to see a group of heroes that are not force sensitive. Rebels would have been better by showing that you don't have to be genetically lucky to change the galaxy.

If Filoni can admit that he has a bias, then there is hope. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Bruce Timm where he let his Batman obsession get in the way. He made the other characters in Justice League/JLU look worse so Batman would seem better by comparison.

I have no problem with her giving Vader a fight, but the only way it should end is with Vader showing no mercy or remorse when he kills her. Vader has been a wuss for too long, and I'm glad Disney Lucasfilm has made an effort to make give him the badass reputation back.

StrikerKOJ likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If you feel an emotional reaction when you watch a scene, there is no way to know if it wasn't put there by the author for this very reason. And it doesn't matter whether it is emotional manipulation or not as long as it works.

The real problem with Filoni is his heavy-handedness. Subtelty is not his thing.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Your real beef is not "emotional manipulation" which is just a term for "being a writer" lol, your problem is the direction the story was going, Dave's heavy-handedness and story messages.

A better writer will be more subtle in their "emotional manipulation".

18. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
  19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    In this forum, more like.

How the hell did it get that Lit is actually more even-handed when it comes to talking about both TCW and Rebels these days?

20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    If that happens, you'll be hearing on the news about a 29 year old male from the UK riding a NASA probe into the Sun.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Darth_Pevra: I agree to a point. It's not that having an emotional reaction in a scene is bad, in fact, it's often a good thing, it means the story was written well enough that I care about the characters.

And maybe some writers are capable of slipping in a scene that was solely done for shock value/emotional reaction as opposed to adding to the overall story, without me or anyone else in the audience knowing.

With Filoni in TCW, though, it was blatantly obvious every time.

Darth_Pevra and Valairy Scot like this.
  22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Being a writer =/= force people to think a certain way through manipulation. It's unfair to the audiences who form their own subjective understandings. Good writers keep it neutral. Dave waved his hands around like a wild child.

"Anti-Jedi, pro-clone, Ahsoka is an innocent perfect angel who saw through the Jedi lies"

No thanks, Davey.

23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Would Kal Skirata and Darman approve of that belief? ;)

GGrievous likes this.
  24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It's too bad Dave scared off Karen Traviss back in 2009. We could've asked her.

25. Knight Wolf

Knight Wolf Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 6, 2014
    Umm… Rouge One.