main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I would end up grovelling and begging in front of Sidious too if he were about to fry my ass. Besides, the fact that Maul survived through his sheer hatred of Obi-Wan just makes him all the more BA.

JasonW and credar like this.
  2. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    So Dave Filoni and the guy who ran Young Justice, my other favorite show, are collaborating on a Dark Times story that probably will act as a continuation to The Clone Wars? **** YEAH!

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    As Obi-Wan said in ESB: "You do not yet know that."

It still has to be confirmed.

Paparazzo likes this.
  4. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Come on! Let me have my dreams! :D

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  5. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I wouldn't mind the post-RotJ being steamrolled. There is some incredibility awful stuff in it.

As for the hate for Thrawn and Mara Jade, why? Thrawn was mostly seen in the books from Pellaeon's POV. He was bitter. He hated Vader and why not? Vader walked all over the chain of command and regularly killed Imperial officers. And he was in theory the commander at Endor (though he was busy fighting Luke), a battle that made the past 20+ years of Pellaeon's service in the Imperial Navy pointless. There was no reason for him to like Vader. Thrawn was in may ways the anti-Vader.

But Thrawn had to be powerful enough to cause the main characters and the New Republic problems. Seriously, most of the other EU Villains are jokes. They were weak and easily cased off after the book was over.

Mara Jade is equally a strong, capable character. Why? Because you need someone that can keep up with Luke, Han and Leia. Someone that, depending on the plot, can fill in for one of them. Mara Jade isn't so badass that she didn't need Luke's help. Often more then he needed her's. But then again, do you want the weak hanger-ons females that other EU authors tired to pair Luke with? Would you prefer Luke to get with someone like Calista Ming? Yeah, Mara's abilities seem to be over the top sometimes, but you have to remember the company she's expected to keep. What do you people want?

Don't get me wrong, as much as I like both characters, Timothy Zahn has managed to annoy me at least once with both of them in the various works that portray them.

To me there isn't much good in the EU starting with Dark Empire. Palpatine Clones, Uber-weapons, Uber-Jedi (which haven't been supported by any other material), endless "kidnap the Solo kids" plots, weak or just weird villains. And I for one don't think the NJO series improved it much. It just spent most of it's time destroying everything that came before to expunge everything published by Bantam books. Seriously, almost every book had the following plot..."Vong show up, main characters Du Jour fight them, Vong destroy planet". Wash, rinse, repeat. They managed to keep in up for 21 books. Amazing.

Again, the Thrawn trilogy would need a face lift and some changes to fit the post-Ep I Star Wars Universe and you could mix in plot points and characters from the X-Wing series and maybe a few other things, but a lot of the rest can go. And those who hate Thrawn/Jade, but love the NJO, why? They were OP because the Uber-Jedi that came out of the post-Dark Empire EU. Those same Uber-Jedi have no basis in the movies, nor have I seen much of the few episodes of TCW to indicate they would/should be that powerful.

aleja2 and V-2 like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nothing to do with Jade being a "strong woman." I can't stand damsel-in-distress types; I want Luke's wife to be a strong woman who can keep up with him.

Why do I hate Thrawn and Jade? Because I was told over and over again how awesome/scary/strong/brave/great strategist/better-than-all-the-other-characters they are, to the point where it got really ****ing old. Maybe it's because I've always had a rebellious nature and a Harry Potter-esque "certain disdain for the rules" but there is little that will make me hate a character more quickly than being told over and over again how much I'm supposed to like him or her, and why.

Don't tell me. Show me, preferably without a word about how and why the other characters think the pet character is awesome (hello, Captain Obvious--the author is shoehorning him or herself into the other characters in order to beat into everyone's head that the Pet Character is Awesome. Yeah, shut up, sales pitch is not working).

Characters that I think are awesome? Obi-Wan Kenobi and Han Solo. We don't see pages and pages of the other characters standing around musing over how wise Obi-Wan is and how strong and brave he was to spend all that time in the desert just waiting for the right opportunity to train Anakin's son, and how long-suffering he was for feeling so guilty over losing his former apprentice. This is not discussed; it is shown.

We also don't see half a movie of Luke and Leia standing around talking about how wonderful it was that Han had a change of heart at Yavin and turned around and saved Luke or how brave he was to survive carbon freezing and how awesome it was that he saved Chewie from slavery and did we mention that he's the funniest man in the galaxy?

Nope, we're shown it.

I hate Ahsoka Tano in seasons 3-5 for similar reasons: she's either shoehorned into battles so that she can "save the day," or given leadership positions that no 16-year-old padawan gets, and so many episodes have other characters talk about how brilliant she is and how they couldn't have survived without her there.

As far as why I like the NJO: for one, the Vong are genuine threats, and not because Luke and Leia stand around and talk about how the Vong are the worst threat they've faced. There is musing among the New Republic Senate about how the Vong are dangerous and what their motives are and whether they've moved into Coruscant, but no pages and pages of "Oh the Vong are scary!!!" and little to show for it. We are shown a lot. Two scenes that literally gave me goosebumps are the baby coralskippers growing on Belkadan in Onslaught and the appearance of the biological Death Star in Ruin. That was a hell of a lot creepier than telling me about Han Solo quaking in his boots and the mention of Thrawn, which just made me laugh, because we're talking about the guy who drew his blaster on Vader at Bespin.

The Solo kids are also shown to have flaws, but their good side is shown as well, enough to lead me to believe it. Again on Jaina, Leia muses some on what a good pilot her daughter is but mostly we see it. And I love the interactions between those characters.

As far as Palpatine clones and the Solo kids getting kidnapped 87265 times in the post-ROTJ EU, I agree with you. I gave up the EU for awhile after reading those books and thinking that Han and Leia should know to hire better security by now. The Palpatine clones are so ridiculous that I didn't even bother with Dark Empire.

JediGirl_Angelina and K'Kruhk like this.
  7. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I'd imagine in the new movies the kids (if there are going to be kids) will all be grown so no having to deal with kidnapping plots. We'll see when the television series takes place. Even though it does make sense that Palpatine would clone himself you would think the EU writers could have come up with better main villians than just reusing the same villian from the movies.

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Removed

9. SidoDyas

SidoDyas Jedi Master star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    I just used the Wayback machine on archive.org to confirm that the blog entry is not really from 2009. Check out the following archived page from back then:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090522165124/http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/

You can compare it to the following current page where you can see that the blog entry was snuck in with the rest:

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/page/122/

Now the question is if the date was just random to make the page less obvious as a clue, or if May 20th is significant. Also, why 2009?

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Star Trek 2009 came out in May 8th 2009. Connection? I don't know.

Then maybe it is interesting to look at the product that came out in May 20th 2009:
    Star Wars Vector. Hm, Celeste Morne in the new series? That would be hokey even for TCW.

On the blog with the hint the other entries of May 20 are full with Darth Vader and the new Star Trek. Also the Trek entry has something about "channeling Han Solo". Omg. Very interesting that the hint was put next to these entries.

Slash78
    If Luke is such a problem to keep up with maybe the writing of Luke should be closer examined. You can't really balance a Gary Stu with a Mary Sue.

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    hmm Vader steps into what the Grevious role? Tarkin reprises his role as does Palps.

Ashoka with Lux, Saw, Ventress, and Bo Katan doing most of the action scenes? I mean the Onderan Rebel symbol certainly looks similar to the Rebel Alliance.

Well Greg being part of the project is certainly interesting, he is very good at detailed universe building, continuity and plotting.

VanishingReality likes this.
  12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    In case anyone is interested StarWars.com has a link to a video announcing "Star Wars: Rebels" but at the time of posting they've kept the video listed as private. :oops:

13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I hope we get a young Thrawn in SW:R.

V-2 and VanishingReality like this.
  14. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Good......about time they explored the Dark Times era.

15. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I think people can finally forgive Disney for cancelling TCW as this show will pretty much be a continuation of TCW. Will be interesting to see what they choose to do with Ahsoka's character.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hopefully, absolutely nothing. Filoni got his sunset exit with her.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few TCW characters reappear, as there are a few incomplete stories and a few characters, especially the bounty hunters and pirates, who would fit into the new Empire in interesting ways. But hopefully they focus on some OT characters and bring in some new characters as well.

Sitara likes this.
  17. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Because as we all know, the most important factor in whether they use certain characters or don't is: "Do I like them?" Not "Would it be logical, or is there anything unresolved?"

[face_waiting] Ugh, I'm sorry to be back here, arguing again. News always draws me in, and I always get baited. Just... ignore me. For the record, anakinfan, you are definitely a smart, grown-up, valuable person, despite your belligerence on certain... orange, dual-wielding, head-tailed issues.

But hear me out: There's plenty of narrative precedent for Ahsoka showing up, regardless of who likes her or doesn't. They planted tons of seeds in TCW about her developing an independent idealism, so to think that she would just lie dormant as an Imperial citizen is pretty ridiculous. Add to that the fact that she is a lead character in SW canon (in comics and books as well as television), and I think there's more logical reasoning in support of her showing up again than, say, Obi-Wan, whose involvement in galactic events between III and VI is made pretty explicit (specifically, zero, if Leia's famous holorecording isn't retconned).

Can we not at least agree on that? All preference aside?

And I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see Obi... but I'd like to see both of them. I don't want leads of any sort, personally.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hmmm... Lets play nice guys. I changed my mind. Renaming this thread,

VanishingReality likes this.
  19. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Oh, ha, couldn't find the thread for a sec. OK.

Honestly, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just arguing for the point that for the ongoing Star Wars TV series (arguably, the one all-encompassing entry into the franchise for the era in which it takes place, seeing as it doesn't have the same direct focus as novels, comics, or even films), main characters who are around should make appearances, like 'em or not.

I get that it's a big difference of attitude, but I guess I ask it from the perspective of: if you were writing the show, and it was your job to please fans in general... not just you... what would you do?

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There's been quite a lot of "enough Ahsoka already" in this thread, from people I never expected to hear it from. I have been left both amused and pleasantly surprised.

And yeah, I've done some writing, and there is no way I'd write something I wouldn't want to read or watch myself, so I'm not sure about the assumption that the desires of the writer and the desires of the audience must be at odds.

I don't know what the prospective audience of this new show would want as I haven't polled that audience and I seriously doubt anyone else here has. I'm speaking for the only member of that audience I am capable of speaking for--myself--and therefore am discussing what I would like to see in the show, and if I see more Idealistic!Skilled!TehAwesome!Ahsoka, I'll dislike that particular episode.

Some other people might not, which is fine, but I'm not speaking for them.

As far as Kenobi, I just explained in another thread what plot points in his story could be covered.

21. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Ahsoka IMO has more milage when it comes to stories then Obi-Wan does.

Yeah, Kenobi has Owen/Qui-Gon issues that can be expanded on, but that isn't very interesting IMO. Tano at least has an unresolved fate and isn't protected by being in ANH like Obi-Wan is. Neither should be lead characters, but I wouldn't be upset if Ahsoka got an arc to herself or was a supporting character.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I mean, I wrote a novel, and it's pretty uncompromisingly my own... but writing independently is very different from collaborating in a writer's room for a big, established franchise. Making good use of the building blocks already at your disposal is a huge factor in the continued success of something like this.

I just don't think any creative process is helped by turning it into a political tug-of-war; vouching for or against this character or that because of how they align or don't align with your preferences seems unnecessary in such a huge universe. At worst, it just means you'll dislike a few episodes, which is how it is for any viewer anyway. Personally, I think if a fan wants something worthwhile to lobby for, it should be kept to the practical realm: lobby for LFA obtaining (and maintaining) a damn good writing team... not to whip up a fervor for or against some character, who is only as good or bad as their writing anyway.

Perhaps you can only speak for you, but it's the writers' job to speak to everyone, so it's obviously not an impossible task, and I don't think one can really deny that concept its virtue.

23. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I don't like watching Pablo Hidalgo walk towards the camera. It's very unsettling.

LawgSkrak and Game3525 like this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    If we see Vader in this show then i'll be a happy camper

V-2, Darth_Pevra and VanishingReality like this.
  25. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    He'll be crying over the loss of Ahsoka.