main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    To be fair, and I love the EU as much as the next guy, but the list of Jedi still around in the EU after RotS is enormous.
    These are the survivors of both Order 66 and the Purge itself.

V-2, Circular Logic and purplerain like this.
  2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I'd be more worried about their regard for the movies than about their regard for the EU. It's clear in ANH that the Jedi haven't been doing anything since ROTS.
    Which undermines the movies in my humble opinion.

cwustudent likes this.
  3. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Interesting teaser-I wonder if that animation is indicative of what the show will look like. Hopefully we'll find out at NYC.

Also, I wouldn't be concerned about the child-like narration of the video. It's intended towards kids watching cartoons on TV, of course it will be marketed like that. Clone Wars had many similar kind of tv spots, in addition to the more dramatic and serious full-length trailers that usually debuted at Celebrations.

4. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I was worried about the "narration" but then realized it was just the silly Disney XD voice. I hope they don't go for an excessively child based storylines. I know TCW had a few kid style moments, but for the most part was serious and near the end was very dark. I know they have to cater to kids, but they need to suck in adults too.

I do agree the trailer sucked. It was basically ANH without a battle.

Also they mentioned "rise" of the Jedi, so I want to almost guarantee there will be Ahsoka, and maybe lots of her! Yeah! Looking at continuity Yoda and Obi-Wan probably don't do much, they just basically wait for Luke to get old. So as far as Jedi left after Order 66, your most well known anti-Jedi is Ahsoka. Keep in mind Filoni is on this, that's why I think she will be back. Looks like Eckstien is employed again. Which I'm totally cool with. I'm also cool with other "renegade" Jedi showing up, but I definitely hope they take to hiding seriously.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  5. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Ahsoka has closure. I'm more concerned about characters who don't have closure.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "The Jedi will rise and blah blah blah the Force".

They sure know what people want out of show in between ROTS and ANH.

7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, Tano is pretty far down the list of characters who it is important to see in the show for me, too.

Mia Mesharad and purplerain like this.
  8. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    My top two are Maul and Talzin.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, try the bottom end of an infinitesimal abyss.

JackG, Chewgumma and purplerain like this.
  10. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Kill the narrator. I was fully expecting to hear:

"Join Baby Luke and Baby Leia, and their pals, the Ewok Gang, as they find danger and adventure across the universe!! And look out for special appearances by Disney favorites, Phineas and Ferb! Star Wars Rebels coming to Disney XD!"

Ugh, love the visual style, but ditch the Disneyfication please.

Apophis_ likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not taking it all that seriously, though. How else are they going to market a Star Wars cartoon?

"Dark times, with a bunch of fringers you've never heard of and no lightsabers whatsoever. Oh yeah!"

But seriously no Force.

Okay, Force.

But no Jedi. Dark siders only.

12. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Sith are just as popular as Jedi, if not more so.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I love the visual style and I actually love the narrator.

C'mon guys, it sounds like a pre-pubescent boy trying to put on his cool voice, with the enthusiasm to match.

"To battle the Empire, a Rebel Alliance will form. The Jedi (pause dramatically) will riiiise. And you will know the power (dramatic pause) of the Force. Star Wars! Rebels! Comingin2014toDisneyXD."

There's my dramatic reading. Well, you have to imagine it.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Having said this, though, something about this short clip reminds me of the way the Family Guy SW episodes were direct animated versions of the actual space shots of ships flying. So I hope it doesn't feel like that more in the show itself.

And yeah, "Rise" of the Jedi makes little sense, even if one agrees with the EU take on how many were still around after the purge. Even if there were a bunch still around, that's still less than the pre-purge numbers as seen in the PT.

Also, Mr. Disney XD Announcer is really annoying, but I assume that doesn't reflect on the show itself.

15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Please, if this is supposed to be a show about average citizens under the rule of the Empire, no Force and no Jedi. We don't need Ahsoka to show up for the show to be a success, and we don't need Mace Windu to be discovered alive on Haruun Kal. Galaxy-shaking events aren't necessary. Keep the focus on a small group of main characters and the show'll be fine.

16. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    ;)

I'll say this, I wouldn't bat an eyelash or kick up any kind of fuss whatsoever if she never shows up in Rebels even once. Heck, I'd stand up and openly applaud Filoni for proving me wrong about him (and what I perceive to be his attachment to the character).

In over five years as a leading character, she's already had plenty of opportunity for her story to be told, and she was even allowed to literally walk off into the sunset. At this point, I find myself excited about moving on to new characters in Rebels, while I'm only very mildly interested in how Tano may have spent her time after leaving Anakin holding her braid.

Maybe a one-off novel? [face_dunno]

17. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    But then you risk those characters being overpowered and the Empire being Separatists 2.0.

18. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well that was...nice, I guess? For a fifteen second "trailer," anyway. The cell-shaded look of the animation is cool, judging by what little was on display, and does appear to lend itself well to the idea of an adaptation of McQuarrie's art style. The advertising lines seem mostly stock and hype-generating cliche, but even with a heaping helping of salt, I suppose there's something to be gleaned from all that. Seeds of the growing Rebellion were all but guaranteed, so there's not much to say in respect to that. Of particular note, though, is the sense that there will be some manner of significant Jedi presence. What exactly "significant" ultimately amounts to remains to be seen, but it appears as though there will be some degree of the Empire vs members of the surviving Jedi remnant. Could be quite interesting; I don't take "rise" to mean any sort of solid recreation of the Order, but more of a "Rise up, we're still Jedi!" type of thing, and there's promise in that storyline. But hopefully they won't be overly dominant.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    As far as the look of the clip? Well, while it's certainly not much to go on, it's fair to say I liked what I saw (and I felt that old familiar twinge of excitement over something new for SW).

Like everyone else, the key thing I'm curious about is the look of the characters. How will the people be rendered vs. the look of TCW or, say, a more traditional cell animation approach? Call me when we get to that!

As others have posited, maybe if we're lucky, NYCC will give us a sampling?

Circular Logic and Mia Mesharad like this.
  20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Cartoon Network wasn't much better in those regards. Anyone else remember this?

Darth Valkyrus, podjazd and 07jonesj like this.
  21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Well, they have been going on and on about the McQuarrie influence. Perhaps the characters will be 2D in the style in which they appear in McQuarrie's paintings?

22. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    The graphics are kind of what i was expecting. More faded/dirty looking than TCW which was always very vivid and bright. TCW evoked the PT where everything was clean and bright. Rebels will probably evoke the OT where everything was worn and dirty (except on the Death Stars).

As for the voice over... the Jedi will rise... and you will feel the power of the Force? I said it 100 pages back and i'll say it again. This show is being written for main stream Star Wars fans and kids, not 40 year-old EU fanatics. That means it needs lightsabers deflecting blaster bolts, lightsaber battles, and Force powers such as levitation, jumping and pushing. How all of this fits into the show and to what extent it plays a role, I have no clue, but its gotta be there.

V-2 likes this.
  23. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I think we should also keep in mind that Rebels season 1 may not necessarily represent what the show will become. TCW season 1 was much, much lighter in tone than the later seasons.

Still, hoping for an episode like Rookies to start the show off. A gritty-ish episode focused on regular people. That's what I'm hoping for from this show, but it may end up being Jedi survivor-centric.

podjazd and Circular Logic like this.
  24. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm pretty sure she will NOT be a main character, but I have the sneaky suspicion she will show up. Let's be honest her "ending" in TCW was almost tailor made for her to avoid Order 66, yet explain why she isn't in ROTS. If you refer back to the "Lux" episodes and the beginning of separate "Rebellions", and Ahosoka not agreeing with the Jedi way, she's almost for certain to show up in Rebels. If people think Ahsoka just left the Jedi order to be a waitress at Dex's Diner were she dies of old age, they are naive. Also we know Filoni loves the Ahsoka character and he most likely won't leave her fate to a random novel.

Again though, I don't see her as a MAIN characters, so the folks that aren't "Ahsoka friendly" have nothing to worry about. Ahsoka fans will be happy to see her again. It's win win. Not to mention it will tie the Star Wars universe even closer. Hell, I'd like to see an episode where Ahsoka runs into Chewbacca again ;)

Ahsoka was tailor made for a Rebellion. She's not quite a Jedi, but she's not as evil as the Empire.

darth fluffy, Watto and Tan-Wessel like this.
  25. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I like Ahsoka, but I desperately hope she isn't back to being a spunky teenager forming a Rebel Alliance with Attitude, giving everything cute nicknames and ignoring the atrocities of war around her. Geez, she got five seasons of character development for a reason.