main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't mind that Kanan is a blind Jedi; it's an interesting take on what was teased on by Luke and Kenobi in ANH. It was a little odd, though, when he was flawless in the Ghost's turret at shooting down the Imperial fighters. Yes, the Force is supposed to improve your sensitivities, but you're a human radar now? What sensitivities improves when you're confined inside a ship aiming to fire on an opposing ship?

fett 4 likes this.
  2. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    That's a thing I didn't have problems with. There were many examples in EU of jedi using the force as their eyes. It's a matter of training really.

3. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015

Well, hypothetically, the sensitivity that should improve would be Kanan's ability to discern a living being against the background of empty space, machines, etc. The Force flows through and connects all life, no? It makes sense to me that Kanan could shoot down manned TIE Fighters more effectively than a person relying on visual sight. A person using their eyes would be distracted by the Star Destroyer, darkness of space, etc.

Where I think the makers of Rebels lost an opportunity / created a flaw is how Kanan interacts with the physical, nonliving world. I would very much have liked if they showed how Kanan's Force vision is fundamentally different from normal vision. For instance, IMO, in Holocrons of Fate Kanan should have come in to rescue Hera, Sabine, and Zeb with his saber swinging wildly. Because he couldn't see the nonliving droids, but could clearly see his friends' fear. Likewise, where Ezra is, and whether Ezra is using the Dark Side, shouldn't be a mystery to him. Navigating in an unfamiliar building should be much harder. Of course, we do have Luke's ANH trench run as a precedent for the Force helping a person interact with nonliving objects, but I don't think Kanan's on "The Force is With Him" mode 24/7.

4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Zao! He was awesome.

podjazd and What Are The Odds like this.
  5. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    Not to mention the whole freaking Miraluka race. They probably were able to see with the Force as human beings were able to see with their eyes. With time Kanan should have no problems to perfect his Force sight. Kreia (Darth Traya) deliberately chose not use her eyes, instead choosing the force as a replacement for her "missing" sense.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Would've been cool if Kanan met up with these people instead of Bendu giving him the advice.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Miraluka

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes but who better to dole out advice on seemingly impossible feats than a former Doctor? :p

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

He could have voiced an excellent Jerec :p

9. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    I unfortunately have finally come to the conclusion that this show is not good. It is way too inconsistent for me, the characters are written poorly, the storytelling is way off for what they could have been doing to tell this epic adventure story, I mean come on, the storytelling is nowhere to be found except in 5 second scenes in otherwise irrelevant episodes that will "come back later", as if thats an excuse to make the majority of your episodes meaningless and boring.

Star Wars is supposed to be THE medium for deeper character storytelling, lore, and wonder, but all of the character development I feel has been lazy and sprinkled in way too slowly. Ezra has barely changed as a character over three seasons, and has been thoroughly inconsistent. What happened to happen at the season 3 premier being super powerful as he grew up and more mature? He's basically season 2 ezra again it looks like.

I just don't feel like real care has been put into this show, its all over the place. And the whole "its a kids cartoon" thing doesn't apply for me looking at other kids shows that are superb at storytelling, being interesting all the way through (even the filler episodes), see Avatar, Gravity Falls, and other fantastic children's programming. I'll have to stop watching and leave these parts for the time being until the new show is announced. :,(

I'll be back for the mid season and season finales since those I believe are the only ones worth watching. Of course this is all my (strong) opinion and it isn't my goal to make others upset. Hoping others are accepting of discussion of the show that isn't all sunshine, but respectfully criticizing its faults. Till next time friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

podjazd, fett 4, SilentGuy66 and 7 others like this.
  10. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Congratulation to Kevin Kiner and Lars Mikkelsen for their much deserved Annie Awards nomination.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Forgot to add this.
    [​IMG]

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

No surprise the "Twilight" episode gets the nod. Well done for sure.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I have to say TotA was one of the best SW stories out there, including the movies.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Certainly had a little bit of everything.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    DarthAnakin96 and Zejo the Jedi like this.
  15. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Definitely.
    It was amazing.

Sandtrooper956 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  16. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Do the designers of Rebels use/repaint assets from TCW?

17. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Octuple Post.

18. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Not really, different animation styles and standards. The B1 droids for example looked pretty different.

19. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    OMGosh, it posted that many times? The forums kinda lagged for me last night.
    (Thanks to the mod that fixed it!)
    I saw on Recon, they wanted to update the B1 model. But for assets that essentially remain the same. I had Dathomir in mind. Would be expensive to rebuild Dathomir, when they could just apply a Rebels paint job.

20. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    It doesn't really work like that--the two shows have different styles and feels to their animation, Rebels going for the whole painted concept art thing. You'd still have to adjust any environments like that to match it, and from there you might as well just do it from scratch.

21. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    On some things they do, for a few examples:
    Laats from bombed temple episode (plus Anaxes base from cancelled episode)[​IMG]
    Phoenix Home was modified Pelta Class from Clone Wars (this notes all the changes that needed to be made to the model)[​IMG]
    Backpack from Lost Commanders was modified from the one Ahsoka had to hold Jabba's son[​IMG]
    Really I don't understand why they don't use more models from TCW. Some of the aliens made for TCW wouldn't look out of place with Rebel's art style. Especially the wookiees (I still shutter when i think of those wookiees in Rebel's pilot)

DarthAnakin96 and cwustudent like this.
  22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Aargh, my actual post is gone.

I said that yes, reuse of assets does happen, for example:

Arquitens cruiser originally from Grievous Intrigue repainted grey and used by the Empire
    Medical Crusier reused by Rebels
    The Anaxes hangar from the Bad Batch was converted into the Asteroid base in Season 1
    The polic gunships from the Fugitive arc were used in Season 1
    Ketsu's Shadowstrike is an altered version of Ventress' Banshee
    Maul's ship was likely a recoloured Mandalorian fighter
    The prison in Season 1, and Maul's asteroid base were originally from Son of Dathomir, though whether any actual models were created at the time is unknown, so it's more likely that they're just based of the concept art

One of the weirdest use of reusing assets was the reuse of Space Waffles:
    [​IMG]

This concept art for and unfinished arc of TCW was reused for a waffle Zeb ate at some point. There are probably some smaller things I'm forgetting.

So reusing the Dathomir sets wouldn't be too unusual.

DarthAnakin96, cwustudent and Watto like this.
  23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im curious on what your opinions will be.

Do you guys feel that Disney will someday make a series on the scale of TCW?

I mean budget wise which would allow more presentation of the star wars galaxy.

I know why Rebels doesn't have as much funding. TCW was made in a time where no films were made, and backed by Lucas, while Disney is funding a new trilogy and spin offs.

Still animation has benefits over live action. Live action is limited on film time, with animation you could get more characters/development, more plot lines and scenery.

And Disney's new canon has opened new territory to be explored.

Take post-RoTJ pre-TFA. Imagine a series with the budget of TCW that shows the rise of the New Republic, last days of Rebels vs Empire war and the reconstruction afterwards. Funding that allows us to see a post-Empire coruscant. Planets that don't look dull.

Im glad we are getting new films, but a part of me wishes Disney would eventually take the well funded animation route that shows us more of the civilizations of the GFFA that Rebels can't do. Animation also has the benefit of seeing the younger big 3.

And if Disney ever explores the ToR era, a series showing the state of that time period wouldn't work that well with the budget of Rebels.

The style of Rebels could also work for an OT era show based on another group of Rebels. But besides dark times and OT eras, I don't believe its style would do justice for material set post-RoTJ, prequel or ToR era.

Troubles I do see besides the issues with funding it (since Disney has to fund the films), is that there is that there isn't as big of an audience for star wars animation as the films have. Part of the reason is that for some people in the USA, animation is seen as for kids. While star wars animation has gotten more mature later on in TCW, I think there is a strong chance Disney will not go to that level with star wars cartoons which could influence less adult fans for Disney's future animation. So in Disney's point of view, its just not worth investing in a TCW style budget for the audience that will watch their animation.

24. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    If they make another show (or multiple other shows), I'd like them to keep it (or them) in the same art style as Rebels (Clone Wars was good but could be overly stylized at times with Dooku's pointy face and such). That way they have a big library of assets and be less constrained by budget when making plot lines. If they make something in the prequel era, the Last Battle gave them nice battle droids etc.

25. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    New titles
    (January 7, 2017)
    Ghosts of Geonosis, Pt. 1

The crew returns to Geonosis in search of a missing rebel team sent to investigate suspicious activity there, and are surprised by what they find.
    Ghosts of Geonosis, Pt. 2

After finding a missing rebel team member, the Ghost crew discovers another surprise on Geonosis, and work to conceal it from Imperial forces.
    https://jedi-bibliothek.de/2016/12/titel-und-inhalt-der-winterpremiere-von-star-wars-rebels/