main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Saxon was utilized(if you can call it that), maybe Rook will again(good or bad idea is the question). She seemed more like a Maul hardliner than Saxon, despite both being formidable warriors and lieutenants in SOD.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Oh I forgot Gar Saxon was in SoD.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    So after looking at the episode and reading part 2, is season 4 a guarantee? Or this cancelled?

4. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Yes. It's guaranteed.

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    After watching the latest episode I do think it highlights how better the show would have been if they had, had Sabine as the main character rather than Ezra. They could have still kept Kanan as the Mentor figure and for Lightsaber fights but not had Ezra at all. It could also have had them develop her sooner than 3 seasons in.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    But that just isn't true. She has had plenty of development prior to Trials of the Darksaber. Blood Sisters, The Protector of Concord Dawn and Imperial Supercommandos all helped to establish how Sabine has been "raised right" by her adoptive family, how she cares for others and how she isn't bloodthirsty and savage like a typical Mandalorian anymore. This is why her sparing Gar Saxon was so important and integral to her character. It was by no means a Disney fake out as I have seen it described by others on the Internet.

8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    We know she was established, but I think he was talking about development, which is different. Going from point A to point B and maybe end at point C. We didn’t get that much with Sabine as she always shown to be able make the right decisions and overcome all her obstacles on her own every time except when they needed her to be bratty for one episode in this season.

silvereyed, cwustudent and fett 4 like this.
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Thank you, you said better than I could :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

Filioni so far as not killed off any of his favorite creations, and he likes often bringing them back & making them as pretentious as ever. The walk off stuff like Ahsoka pulled in TCW, won't last as long apparently:

http://nerdist.com/star-wars-rebels-ep-dave-filoni-on-that-twist-mandalorians-sabine/

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't know why you all thought this season would be the last

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, we got burned by TCW before and until further notice we have now a set of stories that are incomplete. Unless you value Legends and accept the micro series and Labyrinth of Evil to be the true tie ins to ROTS. Cause as far as for me, it is. They have no intention whatsoever in finishing that other stuff up. So that's why some of us were a bit nervous. I definitely don't want it to end yet. At least give it 5 years. then end it.

K1ng_Xeon and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  13. K1ng_Xeon

K1ng_Xeon Jedi Master

May 30, 2006
    Greetings! Long time reader, first time poster here.

You know, this brings up the problem I've had with the show lately.

I've been a huge fan of Rebels ever since the beginning. Despite what a lot of people seem to think of Ezra, I've actually liked the character. Throughout Season 2, we've had hints of Ezra establishing a strong connection with other living beings and it seemed very interesting. It looked like a fresh new take for a force-sensitive person, a Beastmaster type of Jedi. Along with hints of tapping into the dark side, it seemed like we were going to get a cannon version of Jolee Bindo; a gray force user with a strong connection to animals and the forest alike. It also would serve as an answer to why Ezra isn't around during the time of Original Trilogy, that he has become a hermit living in a forest on some unknown planet possible due to a tragic occurrence (noble sacrifice of Kanan?). Since Dave Filoni is a big fan of LOTR, I thought Ezra was his version of Radagast, so to speak.

What happened to it all? They seem to have dropped all of that development for the sake of putting the spotlight on other characters. Don't get me wrong, I love the character of Sabine, even Kanan, a lot more than Ezra. But does it have to come at the cost of ignoring your "main" character? Go back and watch Trials of the Darksaber and Legacy of Mandalore, aside from a brief emotional scene in the former, Ezra literally plays the comic relief. Before, the development of Ezra didn't seem all that bad, but now seeing how fleshed out and developed Sabine and Kanan have become/becoming, he started to stick out a bit as underdeveloped. So, yeah, perhaps Ezra shoud've been one of the supporting characters as fett 4 suggested above.

Just my two cents.

Agreed. 5 seasons would be perfect. I remember reading rumors that they were planing 4 seasons, but that was way back when. Since they've added new characters and new story lines, I'd assume at minimum we should get an extra season.

JH24, La Calavera and silvereyed like this.
  14. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I wonder if Ezra is more a victim of the writers’ fears that the kid audience would leave them like in TCW if they stray away too far from the season 01 template. Because it feels like they are keeping his character in perpetual child mode for whatever reason. There was potential there for an interesting character development at the beginning of this season but that never went anywhere and he quickly regressed back to his usual persona from previous seasons. And as result, he’s getting tiresome to watch.

K1ng_Xeon and CloneofVader like this.
  15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it is more to do with the risk undermining the story of Luke; Dave probably wants Ezra to remain quite immature, so audience do not view him as a potential rival to Luke. Would not be surprised if its designed to downfall the significance of Ezra in the timeline and ensure no continuity problems.

JH24 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    To late, they're already are problems

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    This^
    Whole Ezra dark side temptation thing turns out to be just another fake out. And I can say the same about Kanan blindness.
    How he can remain immature after everything he been through ? Character development does not affect him at all ?
    No idea who spread this rumors and why anyone even believe in them... Actors already confirm their return in s4.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If they didn't want any continuity problems and no rivalry, they shouldn't have made Ezra force sensitive/Jedi. The crew should only have 1 Jedi. With only one, it would also make the crew less powerful. Add kanans blindness actually having negative consequences, it would be interesting to see the crew handle threats with their only Jedi weakened.

The Shadow Emperor and JH24 like this.
  20. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    I agree about the development of Ezra. In the season 3 trailer they made a big deal about Ezra potentially going to the dark side. So much that I thought they would dedicate an arc to it. Or that he would even team up with Maul. And it turned out the whole problem was resolved in 1-2 episodes, with a hint here and there in later episodes, but never did it feel Ezra was seriously threatened again. So much wasted potential. There are amazing episodes in this season with some great storylines, but the part about Ezra feels like a missed opportunity.

I have nothing against Ezra, I enjoy his character but it feels like they're only touching the tip of the iceberg regarding his potential and development. It feels his character is stagnating. Apart from the first episodes nothing has changed outside of a hint that he does seem to have a kind of darker side (Wykanthu job - Ezra wanting to lead the mission and his obsession with destroying the Sith) but it's never seriously developed or shown.

cwustudent and K1ng_Xeon like this.
  21. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I think Kenobi's presence is more for Ezra's benefit and "growth" more than anything else, especially since as we know he has "visions (and voices)" and he ends up going there .

JH24 likes this.
  22. K1ng_Xeon

K1ng_Xeon Jedi Master

May 30, 2006
    It sorta ruins the ending of Twilight of the Apprentice, to be honest. Before, the last shot of the episode of Ezra unlocking the Sith holocron was awesome. It was, as Keanu Reeves would say, a "whoa" moment. But now, knowing how it all unfolds during this season, re-watching that scene is... dare I say,,, a bit cringeworthy? Who knows, maybe they'll pick up on that thread next season, or, as pointed out, they'll hold back out of fear. We'll see.

I would definitely agree from a narrative perspective, it would've been a lot better to have Kanan as the sole Jedi. But then again, how much would've the younger audience related to the character? Would they still buy the toy of Ezra if he wasn't a Jedi?

Just like Maul. Maul's only purpose in the show was to allow other characters to grow. He blinded Kanan so he could be a much better Jedi by tuning into the Force. He tried to influence Ezra so he could struggle to find a balance. He also brought the Darksaber so Sabin could have a strong reason to go back and reunite with her family. I don't have any problem with this, mind you. If a known character comes in and actually leaves a mark on main characters, it's great. But, I'd assume people who are die-hard fans of Maul and Obi-Wan are going to be disappointed with their overall inclusion.

JH24 likes this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't think Ezra's darkness is gone. It came to the surface because he had nobody to guide him as he taught himself in the aftermath of Malachor. His master abandoned him at a time when he really needed the guidance. When Kanan came back into the picture, Kanan brought him back on the right path, but not without a rocky start. Kanan is keeping Ezra's darkness in check. That's been the huge arc of their relationship since season 1. If Kanan is gone, Ezra will turn away from the light again.

24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I do believe Ezra as a normal boy could still be made to be related to a younger audience. Him having no force abilities, could further make him the audience surrogate. I sure hope they didn't make Ezra a Jedi to "sell toys".

It would improve Ezra's character development if he couldn't rely on the force to find his place in the rebellion. A mentor relationship between a Jedi and a normal boy would be good to see.

Also it would keep Luke's position of him being the first of a new generation of Jedi.

Not only that, but Ezra would have more freedom. He could stay in the Rebellion even into the OT. Even meet Luke. It would actually make his path less dark then a Jedi walk.

MandaloreRex2015 and K1ng_Xeon like this.
  25. K1ng_Xeon

K1ng_Xeon Jedi Master

May 30, 2006
    Oh, I concur. I actually like the idea. If we don't get a version of a force-user we've never seen before, then why not have a character who has to overcome his struggles without the reliance on the Force as you've said. But the question is: "Does that appeal to everyone?" That's what I actually meant with the toy comment. I don't think they made Ezra a Jedi just to sell toys, but because a familiar Jedi character has a much wider appeal. I'm sure there could be many younger viewers who could relate to Ezra in a much better way had he not been a Jedi, more personal way, but isn't the purpose of a TV show is to appeal to as many people as they can in business sense? There are a lot of people who dismiss a lot of episodes in Rebels simply because those particular episodes do not focus on the Jedi/Sith or the Force, imagine the main character not being a force-user on top of that. It wouldn't bother me in the least, but can we say the same for everyone?

Good point. My one nitpick with that, however, is inclusion of the Sith Holocron. Ezra already had hints of the dark side with the loss of his parents. The Maul's influence on top of that should've been enough. The concept of a Sith Holocron seems wasted here.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.