main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Obvious...or perhaps not?

Maybe Qui-Gon's Jedi sperm works backward in time, like a retcon, and takes nine years instead of nine months, resulting in conception nine years before TPM?

:eek:

That would explain the lack of father and Shmi's inability to explain it.

podjazd and TaradosGon like this.
  2. Lord Ctessor

Lord Ctessor Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2013
    I kind of find it weird. Shimi a feminine without a male guardian in boyfriend on Tatooine, one the roughest places in the galaxy. She needs a boyfriend or a tough girlfriend to protect her.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    She is a slave, she is under the protection of her master and the law

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going to assume that's intended as a joke. The part about Shmi needing a guardian, that is.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Wouldn't an experienced Jedi master like Qui-Gon be able to tell if Shmi was lieing?

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not necessarily.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011

You break her you buy her.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Watto seemed quick to back down when Qui-Gon threatened to bring the Hutts into the matter of whether or not Watto would honor their bet.

If they are that intimidating and implied ruthless (granted we really only see Jabba as down right sadistic), I'm not sure you'd want to mess with someone's slave if they are the law you have to answer to.

But honestly, if the EU wanted to find a loophole to do away with the whole "conceived by the midichlorians thing" that would be fine by me.

For instance she has a boyfriend, she gets pregnant. Watto gets angry that someone was with his slave romantically and got her pregnant. She then lies and says she has no idea what happened and that it was a miraculous birth to save her lover from Watto's retribution.

It's never going to happen, but it's a fantasy. Shmi's virgin birth and the prophecy are two things I can't stand.

Darth_Pevra and CT-867-5309 like this.
  9. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    If only there was an option to click DISLIKE on this forum.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude, lighten up.

11. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Maybe Shmi herself is tough.

12. Obimus Primobi

Oct 23, 2013
    [face_idea]

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    *shrugs*

I was only stating a fact easily extrapolated from another fact from TPM.

One could easily assume that the same applies to Shmi.

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Good post, and I agree with much of what you're saying about the Rebel Alliance, but c. 5 BBY, I propose that we're not yet talking about the Alliance, but a different kind of thing altogether.

I'd wager that the warfare you're ascribing to the Alliance was a thing which evolved over time from the humble beginnings of more localized resistance forces, forces who probably were fighting wars of attrition, concerned only with protecting their homes and communities, trying to make the very act of holding on to their homeworlds not worth it for the Empire. I think that's where it would start for many of the different groups who only later decide to form alliances with other forces against a common foe.

Can I say with 100% certainty that this is what we'll see in Rebels? No, I'm not privy to that kind of information. I think it's more than a hunch, though, as per Filoni's comments on Onderon, we know this is how Lucas envisioned the beginnings of what would much later become the Rebel Alliance, and through other interviews, Dave has mentioned keeping in contact with George over these type of matters as concerns the new series.

Circular Logic and TaradosGon like this.
  15. Obimus Primobi

Oct 23, 2013
    If the planet Lothal that was mentioned at NYCC is the main location on the show I'd guess that, at least in the beginning, we're going to see a smaller resistance like on Onderon rather than any kind of large rebel presence.

16. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    FWIW, given that she was a slave and had been for many years, possibly her whole life, and given how female slaves are often treated in any society that practices slavery... It is unlikely that it was literally a virgin birth. Oh, there might well have been no father - the conception resulted from Plagueis' dark experiments - but it's unlikely Shmi was still virginal by that point in her life.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She was 40 years old at the time of TPM so I sure as hell hope not.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    His and run guerilla tactics with a dash of child soldier themes is exactly what I think the Doctor orders for Rebels. Onderon just kinda touched on it.

Hah, its a pretty obscure intermediate book series from the 90s so I should refrain, a bit campy and cheesy but I just love it. Probably because honestly I'm a Power Rangers fan and in a way Animorphs is the dark deconstructive take on the cheesy 90s teenagers with attitude wake up, go to school, save the world from aliens kinda thing. The heroes always seemed to be losing and getting screwed up by war. Ever since comments that Rebels will focus on a group of teens and be liked "Scooby Doo" Animorphs keeps coming back to mind because that discription sounds hauntingly like teenagers with attitude wake up, go to school save the world from aliens SW style and if that's how its gonna be then it needs be dark and deconstructive to fit in that time period of the SW universe.
    The way I see it is the Rebel alliance is small, massively out gunned, and ham-stringed by ANH anyways so they can't be shown winning anything major. We gotta wait for that. That does make them alot of fun to root for. How would the Rebels not continue with what they were taught on Onderon (although hopefully they do a better more believable job to inspire new recruits and supporters) and fight with anything other than guerrilla tactics? We can't see them in big battles marching toward the enemy like the clone troopers. They can't go from planet to planet liberating people from the tyranny of the Empire (that's also pretty two dimensional) Do we want 50 episodes of someone trying to stop the empire politically and getting hanged?

They aren't fighting to stop an alien invasion but they are still pretty might fighting a losing battle and trying not to get wiped out (this is where my comparison with Animorphs comes from. Clearly the Rebels aren't trying to stall the Empire til help arrives). It makes since for them to kid small outposts or to target something that can cause some sort of damage to the empires war machine.

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Seerow, I did not mean that they wouldn't fight with hit and run tactics, I was disputing the idea that the Rebels' aim was to

which was the goal on Onderon and that worked for Onderon, but I don't think that works when the goal is to overthrow the galactic government and replace it. If your goal is independence, that's a different story.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Damn TG, I had a huge post on hit and run tactics ready to go, too.

But I still think the Rebels can do what you quoted. The Emperor won't quit, but his supporters might if they have no food, or supplies, or they're otherwise just pissed and sick of the war.

The enemy may not be able to morally prosecute the war any longer if their morale is totally ruined.

Technically, (but almost certainly only technically), they may not have to destroy the government to replace it. In the EU, in a broadcast to the entire galaxy, Mon Mothma (I think, I'm pretty sure) actually presents a list of demands to the Emperor over the Holonet. It was sort of a spiritual successor to the Petition of 2000. I think one of the demands was for Palpatine to step down. Another was to restore the Senate. Not sure on the details, so I'm paging for help. Anyway, if the people get fed up enough they might force the Emperor to give in to Rebel demands.

Hey Iron_lord you seem to be one of the most prolific sources of EU knowledge on this site, you know what I'm talking about here? Think you can quote it or provide a link to Wookieepedia. I looked and couldn't find it, but I know I've seen something like I described.

21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Just a hunch, I have no proof. But I'm guessing that the rebels won't really be raiding Imperial supply lines or anything like that, because I'm not even sure they would have the resources to do that.

I don't read a whole hell of a lot of the EU, but one thing I am currently reading is the 2013 Star Wars comic (I think I'm caught up except the most recent issue) and really all the Rebellion really does is run and then make an occasional reference to how great the victory over the Death Star was.

Something tells me that they are looking for those big symbolic victories that make the Empire look weak, not sincerely trying to make a dent in the Empire's expenses.

For example, I'm sure the Empire sank an obscene amount of credits into the Death Star, so it's destruction was costly, but they just built another one. The money lost wasn't crippling to the Empire. I can't imagine that raiding supply lines defended by star destroyers and frigates would really put any kind of measurable setback to the Galactic Empire's treasury.

What the Death Star did do was generate hope.

And since the Rebels are the good guys, I don't think they're going to really be terrorizing anyone. The show COULD explore that kind of morally gray area in which some rebels just want to kill Imperial loyalists as traitors while others realize that it's wrong and that they should only make targets out of legitimate military targets. But I'm guessing the rebels will just uniformly be represented as stereotypical good guys only doing the latter.

So I'd imagine plans would hinge around finding big targets that if taken out would really send a message psychologically (as the Death Star did).

Something tells me that the show will be like Battlestar Galactica (the remake) in that the Rebel Forces will pretty much be running from the Empire 80% of the time, with the occasional plan to turn around and stage an attack on key installation or something.

Circular Logic likes this.
  22. DLINE

DLINE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2013
    Ok I'm looking forward to this show. But I'm worried. Yes the clone wars was a good show but it stretched Star Wars to far. I like the maker but he just in view want a whole new Star Wars and really it kinda ruined it the whole witches and ngood vs bad with the son and dauter thing was bad it was not cool and made Star Wars dark and uncool so I hope this is a good series!

23. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Lothal. The entire planet is one big alley.

TaradosGon likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

I've got most of the novels, and a few sourcebooks- but not the WEG Rebellion sourcebook that's in. Have read it once though. I believe GrandAdmiralJello quoted it once- as evidence that the Rebellion's leaders weren't above lying- they claim the Emperor had dissolved the Senate, but this was before he actually had.

It's the "Declaration of Rebellion":

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Declaration_of_Rebellion

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was tagged, and I was reading up the page thinking I was in Lit and not recalling a single one of these posts.

And then I realized where I was. And screamed.