main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If the show royally ****ed over Mara's EU image, I'd laugh my ass off. Because honestly there's only room for improvement there.

fett 4 likes this.
  2. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

13 or 14? That makes her queen material to some on here, lol. Mara Jade. One of the Empire's puppet queens.

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_sick]

*checks the "off" switch on my TV remote*

Yep, still works.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    If it ret-cons Zahns Mara only went after bad people and never did anything bad and who the Force made good would be a very good thing.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Wouldn't mind if they did use a character called Mara Jade in some form because I think that is a cool name. No point in reading any post ROTJ EU because all that stuff is going to get thrown in a creek in my opinion but Mara Jade is a cool name.

6. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    Has anyone seen this? And I thought that the first commercial was stupid... :confused:

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no opinion on the name, but I would find it hilarious if a character named "Mara Jade" showed up bearing no resemblance whatsoever to the EU Mara Jade.

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The guys at Wookieepedia would find a way to either make it someone else using "Mara Jade" as an alias or as it being Mara in an elaborate disguise.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why can there not be two people that carry the name Mara Jade?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Because two people in the enormous, enormous galaxy can't possibly have the same name! Except Jax Pavan. Everyone is named Jax Pavan.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Who have the same name, and do the same job, for the same man, with the same abilities, who look the same?

If they use her they'll use the Licensed toys, and images they have as models, for the character. With elements of the original character, but made to fit the film canon, and time period.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's actually kinda precedent for that. :p

newdawn12 likes this.
  13. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    How about Shira Brie? Forget this Mara Jade business.

14. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Who?
    *looks her up*
    ****** hell there's another one!

I hope Rebels has some fresh ideas because seriously... :oops:

15. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Their's a reason, the archetype keeps popping up, George Lucas Likes it, whether it was Shira, during Marvel, and Sorsha, in Willow, it will pop up again, whether named Shira, Sorsha, Mara, or someone new.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not sure what the archetype is, but...

I want a badass. A girl badass.

But Don't. ****ing. Tell. Me. That she's a badass. Because if I can't figure it out from watching the show...

She's not a ****ing badass. She's just a character that the writers hope that the audience accepts as a badass. Real badasses don't need a sales pitch.

And also, dear writers, just a heads up: I really don't give two ****s what the other characters think of your Badass Wannabe. So let's just leave that out.

17. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    another example is Asajj Ventress, The archetype, is the warrior woman, assassin, spy

Whatever her character is in the books, she will be shown differently, because of Weisman, balancing out Filoni.

Plus we had the arc, in TCW, "Children of the Force", when Cad Bane stole the Holocron of Force sensitive children, and families.
    Sidious would want that for potential assassins, servants, and acolytes. Hidalgo said that their were threads that would not be tied up, in TCW, Rebels is a perfect place to show what happened to those children.

also their is preceden

18. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Honestly in a Rebellion, teens making it up the ranks quickly is not necessarily a shocker. You got to assume a high turnover rate so the best talent probably gets you a lot further a lot quicker.

Paparazzo, V-2 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ventress is awesome though. She's a real badass, which is why there are not several arcs featuring other characters discussing what a badass she is.

I'm fine with the warrior-woman archetype, in fact I have no interest whatsoever in its opposite, the damsel in distress.

But it needs to be done well. Mara was not.

As far as teens moving up in rank, my only question would be this: why can't adults be the "best talent"? That would make a hell of a lot more sense in most cases.

20. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    If she's in, she will not have the baggage of the books, and she's not a pet character of Filoni, or Weisman, qnd I doubt any EU authors will be writing any episodes. brdifrd in TCW, we saw Jedi training, in Rebels, we might see dark side training.

21. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Teenagers?

Palpatine: Look, I’m just dealing with a lot of crap right now. The Death Star blown up by a bunch of ******* teenagers, you know…

Heh, that was kind of true...

podjazd, FRAGWAGON and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  22. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

True. Just like in Band of Brothers the ones that managed to stay alive and able bodied enough to keep on fighting shot up the ranks because people above them kept on dying.

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I agree–however, look at ANH. Luke and Leia were 19, Wedge was 18...the others were older, sure, but Luke and Wedge, two out of the only three surviving pilots, were both teens. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see a bunch of 16-year-olds shooting stormtrooper to shreds, but I don't think there's anything in particular wrong with having older teens, Luke and Wedge's age, as long as they're mixed in with a few adults, too.

24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    True, and consider the actors in the series were mostly older than the men actually were.

25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    There's a rich history of youth protest, it's a cliché that you get more conservative as you age, and some scholars even suggest a tenuous link between demographics and protest/revolution (citing similarities between the youth protest movements in Japan in the 60s, USA in the 70s and the recent Arab Spring). The commies and fascists saw the value in recruiting youngsters, religions and cults still target children. Anyone with an ideology to sell sees value in the idealism of youth.

Given the recent total war IU, with large numbers joining the post-clone military, and the increasing authoritarianism of the Empire, it might be reasonable to assume there just aren't as many revolutionary-minded grown ups kicking around as there used to be. If there are going to be Orwellian allusions in Rebels, I expect we'll see indoctrinated youngsters on the other side too.

tl;dr:
    It's not unreasonable to expect teens in Rebels or the Rebel Alliance in general because history.