main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    ...what?

/snicker

Uh, I think you've got the wrong series. This sounds like it's supposed to be aimed at TCW's Mandalorians, not Rebels.

They do, but you don't seem familiar with those characteristics beyond them knowing how to fight.

Truth dude.

So what you're saying is you just *get* the Mandalorians on a deeper level than everybody else, even the people that actually developed the culture? Okay. I see where you're coming from now. I see.

/chuckle

Totally agreed on everything.

Love that quote!

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't care about Mandos so I don't really care if she's different from most. But I guess I can understand thinking she's too different from them.. Just imagine a graffiti artist Jedi with a pink lightsaber. :b

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

[​IMG]

The thing is you don't even need to go into child psychology, or excuse the fun nature that Rebels seems to be taking on the fact that it's a Disney production. Star Wars has always made warfare out to be fun. That's why we have R2-D2 and C-3PO acting as comedic relief and armies of teddy bears taking down an intergalactic empire's finest legion. Oh, and you can't forget the toys. Lots and lots and lots of toys, marketed towards kids ever since the first movie came out and encouraging them to pretend they're in the middle of a galaxy spanning war.

You'd think anyone posting on a Star Wars board, of all places, would be aware of this.

V-2, FRAGWAGON, credar and 4 others like this.
  4. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I agree fun and light-heartedness has long been a part of Star Wars, but I don't think it's wrong that people want some seriousness too.

5. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    There's a nice balance that can be struck, I think. I like the idea of the younger characters becoming more aware of the reality of their actions, starting off thinking of the rebellion as fun but gradually realizing that they are playing with lives. Of course, I would also like to see some more terrorist-type rebels, showing that the line between good and evil is there regardless of intentions. In short: treat death with seriousness, but don't dwell on it too much. Show some of the consequences of the rebellion.

6. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, Yin and Yang.. or would that be Filoni and Weisman? :b

7. Sir Chem

Dec 26, 2013
    Yeah, I really feel like they'll be working well off of each other, and reaching that sweet spot of seriousness/fun.

8. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Well, again, Greg Weisman said...
    ...so we're going to get some seriousness; Greg Weisman literally said we will.

9. Weechee

Weechee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 12, 2013
    grafitti from rebels was an essential part of the sci-fi series "V" where the lizard aliens came to conquer Earth, also in V for Vendetta and the Mars rebels from the original Total Recall, all of this was based on behavior by rebels in the french underground during WWII and influenced by many other real world rebels, revolutionaries, and protestors as earlier mentioned in Berlin, I have seen activist graffiti in several cities in the USA and even on train cars mixed among all the "Tags".

in a world of total oppression the smallest act of rebellion such as graffiti could spark the whole rebellion, the imperials will probably overreact violently, and that will show others how evil they are and spread the rebellion even more

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Using ANH as an example: if anyone had pointed and laughed at Owen and Beru's charred corpses, it would have been wrong.

But if the movie had spent a lot of time on Luke and Leia and Han talking about pain and suffering and death and war is HORRIBLE and people are DYING and WHEN WILL IT EVER END??? :_|...that would have sucked.

Serious **** went down in that movie, but the characters still remembered how to enjoy themselves and each other, and even use humor to get themselves through bad spots.

We need this in Rebels.

11. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    One of the things I take away from this quote is the thing on romance. And it's something I've wanted to voice my opinion on for a bit now. Now, I've seen people say if theres romance they don't want it to be between main cast members. But in my opinion, I'd rather have it between main cast members, cause having a main character in a relationship with someone who only appears once every couple episodes for like three minutes just doesn't cut it for me.

And I like romantic subplots. As long as they're handled well, if not though, then no thank you. I'm looking at you Young Justice Miss Martian/Lagoon Boy. That came out of nowhere and just seemed weird.

Dra--- and Sir Chem like this.
  12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The destruction of Alderaan was probably like the worst thing to happen in all of the OT. But frankly, Bigg's death was sadder. The films didn't really handle emotions that realistically. The next time we really see Leia, she makes a snarky remark about Luke's height. Doesn't react at all realistically. In it's own way, that's part of the charm of the movie, IMO.

It's more about the fun of the adventure, not about making you feel depressed.

EDIT: As far as romance, I figure it has to be a Kanan/Hera pairing, in addition to or instead of Ezra/Sabine.

Would prefer the prior, with adult characters than risk another Ahsoka/Lux (which didn't even go anywhere).

Darth Wookiee, FRAGWAGON and H-BOMB like this.
  13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, great post. Language and power are intimately related. The ability to resist via semiotics and writing are fundamental to rebellions, especially when fighting against a greater power that seeks a hegemonic control of thought.

Contessa likes this.
  14. Sir Chem

Dec 26, 2013
    Yeah, that pairing still makes me scratch my head. Artemis/Kid Flash was handled well, though! If they handle any romance like that, I'll be content. I'm pretty apathetic about romance subplots unless they're written really badly or really well. Otherwise, it doesn't matter to me.

I was thinking this, too. It also cuts out any possible love triangles. Also, Zeb should have a wife he had to leave behind on his homeworld, so he's not left out. Like Chewie.

15. SabineFett

Feb 17, 2014
    Gods I hate people. I try to see other peoples opinions on this show outside of tumblr and this forum, mostly on the news sites that report on the show. And I can't believe how absolutely negative some of these people are. I mean, one person, one person who's comment I just read said that he thinks all these characters are horrible, and he'd rather have Jar Jar Binks.

I mean what? There are people, people out there, people who call themselves star wars fans, who think these characters look horrible and would think the show would be better off with Jar Jar Binks in the main cast. . I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Where's the Millennium Falcon to take me to a galaxy far far away?

16. SabineFett

Feb 17, 2014
    If they handle it like Artemis/Kid Flash, I hope they handle it just a bit better. I mean, the sudden kiss in the season finale just seemed a drop to sudden. I mean, sure we'd been seeing them warm up to and care about each other since Artemis' training simulation death. But still, we hadn't really seen any romantic feelings up to that point.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Let me toss out a bit of unsolicited advice.

Never ever EVER read comments on news sites.

Their opinions aren't worth leaving the planet over.

Having a glass of wine and pointing and laughing, maybe. But my capacity to be amused by the dregs of the Internet only goes so far.

EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. Sir Chem

Dec 26, 2013
    It was okay, not amazing, but okay. It definitely had a slap/slap/kiss feel to it, which are fun. I was more pointing out that there wasn't the whole Miss Martian/Superboy style break-up drama. It was implied at heavily enough that I was okay with the suddenness. (Implied might be the wrong word. Smashed over the head, would be better.)

19. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I just hope they stick clear of love triangles, has one of them ever been done well?

Sir Chem likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  21. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I just stopped venturing into the comments sections on Facebook and YouTube altogether. Some people just can't ever be pleased, or don't think about things rationally. I bet you the majority of them are still going to watch the show and might even end up liking it. There were so many naysayers back in 2008 when The Clone Wars was first coming around (myself included, sadly). And then the show turned out to be quite good and some of those initial doubters became fans.

I'm just afraid all the naysayers are going to dissuade potential fans from even giving the series a shot.

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah that kiss wasn't sudden. If anything, it was a case of most people thinking "finally" when they saw it, at least the people that I've seen. They'd built up to it all season. As for romance in general, the Han/Leia relationship was one of the best things about the OT, so it can be done well.

23. Sir Chem

Dec 26, 2013

Well, ANH had the Luke/Leia/Han triangle, which gave us Mark Hammil's amazing delivery of "I care...". It never fails to make me laugh, if that counts as good. :p

(But then he's her brother, and it gets all weird when she kisses him in the next movie...)

24. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    It's this point in a show's development that really frustrates me. It's fun to speculate about what might be but it can really suck when people actually argue about what MIGHT be. We see a few previews and meet the characters and everyone immediately forms an opinion, all the while no one really knows what the **** they're talking about. Don't get me wrong; I love the speculation and the conversation. It's when people start getting especially harsh towards each other that I want to turn away from these threads. No one really knows, therefore no is really correct at this point, so engaging in serious arguments is pointless. MTFBW us all.[:D]

Praenomen Cognomen and H-BOMB like this.
  25. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Yeah, Kanan and Hera would be my pick too if there's going to be a romance (and I guess we'll get Hera's video in the next day or two).

And I say again, I think I'm going to enjoy Rebels more than the Clone Wars because, as Dave Filoni said, "'Rebels' will be different from 'The Clone Wars' in a couple ways, and one is the decision to stick with one story and one main group of characters. We wanted fans to get to know the new characters and what they are fighting for... 'Rebels' will tell the story of a group of characters, in this way it is more like the original trilogy which followed Han, Luke and Leia... "

So no jumping around, just one story.