main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
  3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm still concerned that it's trying to be "hip and cool", what with Ezra using a space-slingshot and Ezra being all graffiti-artist. If it goes too far in that direction, I certainly won't like the tone of this show.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    starocean90 Try not to post more than once in a row.

Having just got home from work, I'm entirely overwhelmed by all this great news. Ima regroup and post my thoughts later. :D

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I like those new pictures. Ezra seems ok to me. One thing I do find a bit weird though is how big the Stormtrooper's helmets are.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This picture looks really cool. Top-notch animation and shadowing; the only really odd thing is how Kanan's clothes seem more shadowed than his face, but there does seem to be some light coming from "above" so that makes sense. In all honesty, this looks as good as at least Season 4 of TCW. I'm way beyond excited!

[​IMG]

7. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Come on, she's obviously going to be Boba Fett's daughter. Let's not get too worked up about her "awesome backstory."

Grievousdude and Vader'sGoodHand like this.
  8. Calintz_Neos

Calintz_Neos Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2014
    But he's dead.

9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Not yet. The show's set in 5 BBY.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Great. First four stills and we already have Sabine's ass.

We need a Rebels caption thread because I already want to caption the expressions in that poster.

Zeb: "Chopper! Your dust is in my eyes!"

Hera: "Teehee, Kanan, what exactly did you slip in my drink?"

Kanan: "This party's over."

Sabine: "Yes. You saw what you saw in the third picture. Move along flyboy."

Ezra: "Up yours, storm trooping bucket heads."

Chopper: "**** this ****. I'm outta here."

my kind of scum and podjazd like this.
  12. McRowdy

McRowdy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 19, 2010

That doesn't sound good.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On that Filoni interview:

Hera as a female Han character. *sigh* I knew she'd be my favorite.

Dave, Dave, Dave...it is possible to give an interview without mentioning Ahsoka. Just once.

So...Ezra and Kanan are at each other's throats and Hera mediates. I like this. A lot. Hera the "maternal" figure, able to understand yet still call a spade a spade.

Interesting take on why he chose Sabine to be artistic. Again, I like it.

"...fun banter back and forth when our characters are in desperate situations and kind of have to make a joke because otherwise it's tragic". Shut up and take my money...er, time.

The Inquisitor as the kind of villain who knows how to read people...holy hell. Creepy. I hope that stands. He definitely will not be a joke villain like we had in TCW if that happens.

"And that makes him a particularly nasty kind of spider to trap."

Shut. Up.

Emperor as a shadow villain--I like that as well. That's how he should be.

Great interview.

podjazd and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Those stills don't raise my hopes at all. I agree this is trying way too hard to appeal to the young crowd but yet again I expected it.

15. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Just out of interest, have you seen the second Hobbit movie yet?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, but I covered my ears, closed my eyes and hid my head in my seat during those scenes. Told my kids to tap me when they were done.

17. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Interesting interview. I like the idea of Palpatine as a "shadow villain" throughout the show. I do hope though that we do get to see him later on at some point even in the show, even if he's just shrouded in darkness and we only hear his voice. As the rebellion grows, I'd like to see Palpatine gradually become more involved throughout the series.

Revanfan1, credar and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I also will expect the same thing to happen with Vader. If/when they eventually defeat the Inquisitor, I think Vader will be pissed and that will be when he fully appears on the show and begins kicking ass and taking names. I'm gonna guess around the last part of Season 2/Season 3.

19. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I actually kind of hope we don't see Palpatine involved very much. In the OT, he wasn't ever directly involved with the Rebels until the Empire Strikes Back, and based on his visit to the Death Star II in RotJ I got the impression that he rarely went anywhere or visited anything.

I think the series should build to a confrontation with Darth Vader or the establishment of him as the ultimate villain, as it sets up events in ANH, where Darth Vader seemed to be in charge of hunting down Rebels. With the Emperor delegated to spooky holotransmissions.

That being said, I always thought Star Wars Galaxies' idea of Palpatine's vacation home on Naboo was a rad idea. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing that.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Vader isn't the ultimate villain though. That's Sidous. All he was in SW was a bull dog.

21. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    In the context of the greater Star Wars story, yes. But in Rebels, with the tighter focus on a smaller group with new and arguably less important characters, Darth Vader (after the Inquisitor) may come to represent the public and physical arm of the Empire and the ultimate enemy to the Rebels cast. Their next major hurdle, in a way.

I'm not arguing that the Emperor isn't the ultimate evil and the toppling of him and his Empire isn't the ultimate goal of the Rebel Alliance. But for this group, at least initially, their focus will be on surviving the smalltime Imperial baddies tossed their way and pricking the Empire in its side. And after the defeat of the Inquisitor and the introduction of Vader as a threat, we'll be left at the doorstep of ANH.

That is just how I imagine the series will progress, however.

22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I agree with the notion that Palpatine shouldn't be involved. I don't know how I feel of Filoni's analysis of ANH. For instance he states that nobody is really worried about the Rebellion and that it's only the people running the fleets, on the front line fighting the Rebels that are at all concerned...

That doesn't downplay the threat of the Rebels in my eyes, that increases it. If the people fighting the Rebels are the ones concerned with their chances of gaining further support, that seems to clue to the reality that they may be more formidable than thought. And if sympathy is being generated in the Senate, then that also means that they are further dividing the Empire politically, in addition to the increasing threat that they pose militarily.

I'm on the fence regarding his interpretation that the formation of a Rebel fleet is a rare occurrence. After escaping Hoth, all the ships were to rendezvous with "the fleet," and this fleet then seems to stay in movement from ESB to ROTJ and then attack the Death Star, while a second fleet begins to gather by Sullust. Coupled with the fact that the Death Star was constructed with defense from capital ships in mind, I'm guessing they expected the potential danger of fleets being deployed against the Death Star, and yet Rebel Fleets are exceedingly rare?

Everything that has been said about the Inquisitor so far (to my knowledge) seems to indicate to me that he is meant to be the only one, or will be the only one shown. And I think Filoni's justification for the Inquisitor both makes sense for the presence of additional Dark Side hounds to flush out Jedi-in-hiding, because Vader can't do it alone/it would be too imprecise. However, having only ONE person helping Vader and Palpatine out and being tasked with hunting all of the Jedi down seems like a negligible amount of help. If there were like 50-100 of these guys coming over different jurisdictions to flush out opposition by Force wielders, that's one thing. But giving Palpatine and apprentice, and then giving that apprentice ONE subordinate of his own to deal with the menial task of mop up duty seems like the flimsiest excuse to create a new character, because that doesn't actually solve the logistical error of one person combing over the galaxy to wipe out the Jedi, all it's done is shift a lot of the responsibility from Vader to "The Inquisitor."

23. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    Those two new promo stills are up you know where in case anyone wanted them in huge HD. Not the other two square ones though, those aren't in huge HD anywhere.

I can't mention where though, not allowed, but hopefully everyone can figure it out. :)

credar likes this.
  24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm really glad there isn't going to be a big organized rebellion with a fleet in this show, I don't think that would make any sense given Ep. IV's opening crawl, and I'm really glad Filoni specifically cited that in the interview.

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There is nothing in the opening crawl to indicate that there wasn't a fleet. Filoni also addresses the semantics issues that there have been Rebels since the time of TCW, but they weren't really an "alliance." And he didn't address whether the alliance yet existed or whether the Ghost crew was part of something larger, and that semantics issue allows for the Rebels to win victories in the show, because the implication was that the victory alluded to in the opening crawl was the Rebel Alliance's first victory. But even so, that in no way precludes the possibility of Rebel fleets. The Mon Calamari, even if not part of the Rebel Alliance at the time of ANH, clearly had a fleet of their own, which they contributed to the larger Rebel Alliance fleet and the other hodgepodge of vessels that made it up. And Dodonna states that the Empire did not think a one man fighter would be a credible threat, and so did not build the Death Star with defenses against one man fighters in mind. It was clearly built to repel fleets, which doesn't make any sense if their biggest threat are rebels that do not have fleets.

Filoni is in charge of the show, and so however he decides to interpret events are pretty much a strong indicator of how things are going to be represented in the show. So I'm not expecting there to be Rebel fleets in light of what he said. But the evidence he cites I find to be extremely faulty. Or deriving conclusions that the Rebels are considered small time because only the fleet admirals are worried about them... when the exact opposite conclusion should be reached by that evidence. If your military leaders in charge of the largest and most advanced military force are worried about sympathy for the Rebellion in the senate, and are worried about how best to deal with the rebel threat, then they are not some trivial opponent, regardless of their having won a single victory.