main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Well this is one of the better retcons. Much like how I was glad when the TCW Onderon arc retconned it's impossible moon Dxun. The impossible potato-planet Kessel being done away with is a good thing.

V-2 likes this.
  2. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

A potato is, by definition, not a planet.

And it's moon was a sphere that was smaller than the potato! I know Star Wars isn't exactly hard sci-fi, but how does that even work?

Did the Onderon arc explicitly retcon Dxun? I haven't gotten around to watching those episodes yet.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That said, TCW introduced its own "impossible planet":

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lola_Sayu

which really ought to have crushed itself back to spherical moments after whatever catastrophe left that hole in it, or been blown apart completely.

Fate of the Jedi hints that Kessel's potato shape and lack of atmosphere was due to some kind of disaster. The depths of the planet have ancient machinery, malfunctioning, which will blow it up if the malfunctions are not stopped.

darthosaka likes this.
  4. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I like how the new Kessel is a combination of the potato planet with the "Little Kessel" from the old Marvel comics. Half is hospitable with plants like Marvel Kessel, half is barren hellhole like Potato Kessel.

Seriously? That's just dumb. I know the EU had really gone down the toilet by the time of FOTJ, but come on.

*Sorry for double post

V-2 and cwustudent like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Outcast_novel

On Kessel, Han and Leia are informed by Lando and Tendra that there are groundquakes occurring throughout the planet. The Solos find out that these quakes are resulting from groups of machines, guarded by strange phantom-like beings, interspersed across the globe that are exerting gravitic anomolies that Leia calculates would completely destroy the world very soon. So they get the help of Rogue Squadron, with Wedge Antilles once again leading the team, to destroy the machines as Han and Leia help in the Millennium Falcon. Eventually, the machines are destroyed, and Kessel is safe. Lando, Tendra and Nien Nunb's glitterstim enterprise continues, and Han, Leia, Allana, C-3PO and R2-D2 prepare to go home back to Coruscant. However, Allana is visibly shaken from an unknown dark side presence that she feels is above Kessel.

darthosaka likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That whole thing started when Centerpoint Station was destroyed and what happened on Kessel released Abeloth. Right? Haven't read FOTJ in ages.

darthosaka likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think she wasn't actually released fully until Sinkhole Station in the Maw was breaking down - when it finally blew up, she was completely free.

darthosaka likes this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I confess that, watching that scene for the first time, I felt a lot worse for Kenobi than I did Satine.

And I liked Kryze.

I just had about a million more times the emotional connection with Obi-Wan than I did Satine, is all.

But still, I did like her.

And I think she was very good for Kenobi. In fact, the relationship that Kryze and Obi-Wan shared was one of my more favorite things about TCW. The person who was hinted at whenever Satine allowed herself the freedom to drop her public persona and be real with Ben was a character I found much more charming and likable than the staid, uptight and staunchly inflexible Duchess of Mandalore.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    So, anyone else watching the new trailer notice Hera gently chiding Kanan that Ezra (I presume) "sounds like someone I used to know"?

What I mean is, if Hera is reminiscing about what Kanan used to be like before he put away his heroic, Jedi self -- and assuming Kanan hasn't been like that for about fourteen years -- I think it implies a deeper relationship between the two. One which goes back much further than we might have guessed.

Here I was thinking that, yes, having known one another prior to Rebels, they would have had some sort of a past together. You know, maybe they met a year before, or something. But I never would have guessed that their relationship goes back quite so far.

Well, I now await A New Dawn even more excitedly than before.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Even if that is true, which I think it probably is, it has nothing to do with whether or not Rebels will be good or make it any more reasonable to jump to conclusions about it before any of us have even seen it. I say this as someone who likes TCW better than half the Star Wars films. These are just not related issues.

No, there was no mention of the Dxun moon specifically or any moon of Onderon at all, so nothing about that from the EU is impacted whatsoever. We do see massive flying beasts, which although they are not nearly as monstrous looking (to my extreme disappointment) still seem like they work with the EU "Legends" back-story with the Dxun moon. Which I'm happy about because I have recently finished composing a 10-minute progressive thrash metal epic called "Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon" adapting the comic of the same name which I just posted the lyrics for in the Lit and Music forums. I have worked on it with a bassist and drummer separately, we should all be getting together to at least do a rough recording sometime relatively soon. http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ron-progressive-thrash-metal-lyrics.50021857/

darthosaka and Iron_lord like this.
  11. The Last One

The Last One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2014
    Disney Disney Disney omg

Darth Wookiee likes this.
  12. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Dxun was retconned by the fact that it was nowhere to be seen in the introductory establishing shot of Onderon from space. If it was at the impossible distance described in the comics (LEO altitude) it would have been immediately visible. It wasn't. Nor was it seen in the sky at any point during the arc - and if it had been visible at all it would have been enormous, obscuring the sky, and blotting out the sun turning day into night briefly during each overhead pass.

This is a pretty good approximation of what a lunar pass would look like on Onderon if Dxun were at the distance claimed in the EU:

Except of course, any moon sized object approaching into an orbit that close to an Earth-sized planet would be ripped apart by tidal forces at about 40,000 miles out (twice the geostationary distance) and become a ring system. The idea of it still being together at LEO altitude is silly.

This was covered in a bit more detail in a thread about a year ago on the board: Here.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I was under the impression that it was in an extremely eccentric orbit - only coming that close for a very small part of that orbit.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Darth Valkyrus actually it is explained in Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon that Dxun's atmosphere only touched Onderon's at a certain time of year because their orbits barely overlapped, and even that was described as taking place in ancient times in a story that was already thousands of years before the films. It was never the case that one would have definitely been able to see Dxun in any conceivable shot of Onderon from space. So yeah, it's entirely possible to have a shot of Onderon like that from the PT era and not touch any of that EU back-story at all.

Iron_lord exactly.

Also, all that aside, even if their atmospheres were overlapping constantly, as long as the planet is larger than the moon you could still easily set up a shot of the planet from outer space that totally obscured the moon, you'd just have to take it of a hemisphere not facing the moon and it wouldn't be there...

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Saxton said the same thing about Endor and its gas giant - arguing that it had to have been destroyed between the Ewok movies and ROTJ, because "it would have been impossible for it to be not visible in all Endor space shots".

I figure that may be more a case of lack of imagination.

darthosaka likes this.
  16. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    It's still impossible. No moon could ever come close enough to its primary for their atmospheres to touch - it would be ripped apart by tidal forces long before reaching that point.

17. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah, I didn't realize that Dxun was that ridiculous. :eek:

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder if anyone's ever modelled this mechanically, with a computer program - two planets "skimming" each other for a very short time - to see just how much damage is done during the period of the "skim".

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sound in space. Need I say more?

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    That may very well be the case, my point was that nothing in TCW's Onderon arc even comes close to contradicting Dxun's EU "Legends" back-story.

darthosaka likes this.
  21. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Well that's just artistic license. I can suspend my disbelief at that. A moon orbiting at LEO is a bit much.

22. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Discounting tidal forces, but wouldn't the friction from the two atmospheres slow the moon's orbit until the two collided?

V-2 and Circular Logic like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If we look at some of the TCW pictures (and even movie pictures) we do get some extremely close objects.

Just how close is Mustafar to that planet it's around, anyway?

[​IMG]

Utapau's biggest moon also takes up a pretty huge portion of sky:

24. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Red herring. Almost all sci-fi does that. It's not that you're supposed to think there is sound in space, but rather, since humans are accustomed to hearing sound when they see something happen, films and TV shows set in space dub in sound in a "even though there is no sound in space, if there was, this is what this would sound like" kind of way. Even documentaries do it. Because humans naturally expect actions to be accompanied by sound, having them depicted silently would be jarring and wouldn't play well with audiences. About the only time where soundless space is done accurately is in extremely hard sci-fi where the soundlessness of space may be used as a plot point, or even for "wow" factor precisely because of the way it is usually not done in mainstream sci-fi. Like in this scene from Gravity:

Anyway, when I started down this line of discussion in this thread I knew someone would bring this point up eventually. I covered it in this post further down that same thread I linked earlier.

darthosaka likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Then of course you've got the Death Star II - being constructed well inside the Roche limit for Endor. How are they keeping it from ripping apart as they are building it?

V-2 likes this.