main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    They should only do a film if it's written to be a film. Meshing 4 episodes together just has no pacing. Besides that, if you're going to make a television series, everyone's first impressions should be that of a television series, not a movie.

So, yeah, the hour-long series premier sounds good.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I think some of the official announcement stuff mentioned an hour-long pilot (if not longer), airing on the Disney Channel, while the series proper would be on XD.

3. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Toonimator

It did but that was originally the plan for TCW until the film idea popped up.

4. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I completely want to see my favorite OT characters somewhere in this band, instead of new OCs. Wedge, Biggs, Luke, Leia, Pooja- and have stories following Han, Chewie and Boba Fett. They are all teens.

Galen Marek and Ahsoka might be too old to be considered 'teen' at this point so they may be out of the running. I think to balance it out they might need a teen villain a similar age to the good guys.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm -- Pooja and Ryoo are great ideas, actually. I hadn't considered them before.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Since Pooja actually becomes Senator from Naboo during the Dark Times in the EU, she would be a great choice.

7. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    So, you want the band of Rebels, who hang out together, in a story set between ROTS and ANH, to include Luke, Leia, Biggs, and Wedge.

...I don't get it.

Also, Chewie's a little old to be a teen.

8. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I hope that Rebels has a mixture of both OCs and characters we already know about. With that being said I don't think Leia is going to be a teenager (that is if she appears) since the show will most likely take closer to Episode III.* I'm not surprised that the show is going to focus mainly on teenagers though, especially since Greg Weisman produced Young Justice, which, A) focused on teenage superheroes and B) was completely and utterly awesome. I just would like to state that teenagers being the main focus of the show does not bother me one bit mainly because Weisman is involved with this show.

And it would be interesting to see a teenager or young adult Imperial officer or would be Imperial officer on the show. [face_thinking]

*Maybe (and is this just a theory) Rebels will have a time skip later down the road. Maybe the earlier seasons will be closer to ROTS while any later seasons will be closer to ANH. If Rebels does have a time skip then maybe we will get to see Leia, Wedge, and Biggs as teenagers. [face_praying]

VanishingReality likes this.
  9. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Yep you got me, I want this to be an AU. (Also, Boba's a little too old to be a teen too. )

But seriously, I'll settle with side stories or brief cameos, as whoever is the main character(s) can travel and meet all these people on at a time. Not even TCW had the whole "band" that was the PT (Padme, R2, C3PO, Obi-wan and Anakin) converge every episode. Mostly episodes focused on one or two characters.

10. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Having Luke in the show at all is likely a HUGE mistake... probably even a mistake to feature Biggs, too, as he's on Tatooine just like Luke--and then at the Academy (tho I do hope they remove the "Imperial" from it... I know it's still a deleted scene, but I much prefer the Anchorhead scene's take on the Academy & Biggs' career, even if it does mean he jumps (civilian) ship to join the Rebels pretty much the day after Leia gets captured by the Empire, a couple days before the battle of Yavin)

11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Thoughts...

I don't mind teenagers with attitude being main characters, many of my favorite things are about those sorts of characters and actually Luke in ANH counts with them. And I can't help but want to jump to the conclusion the familiar six faces or the Sentai team trope which is one that works well for Wiesman will be the main character structure in Rebels.

Actually to my dismay I have to partially agree with posts a page or two back there exists a possibility the kids from Young Jedi which was said to be some sort of pilot last year may be that band of teenagers. They form a pretty standard six hero team, 2 girls and 4 boys. Seems kinda a stretch for them to all have survived but I find it suspicious. It wouldn't be hard to slash the six slot. We'll have to wait to see what characters are actually there or what the band of teenagers looks like and who is in it.

Mark Hamill doing VA work for Rebels is awesome but I don't think it'll have anything to do with Luke, unless he's going to do some weird narrator gig. Hamill is capable voice actor with range. I think any character in the show is fair game for him so we'll have to see. Cool to get a little info on the VA cast,

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hope that annoying, arrogant Youngling What's-His-Name isn't in the show

13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Neither of those two will ever be a teen at the same time. It is a mathematical certainty. Galen was a toddler shortly after RoTS.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Unless the sheer amount of Force Lightning fired at Darth Vader caused a rift in team and hurtled a few of the clones into the past!

Hey, it's just as reasonable as the plot of that story proper.

15. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    It does seem kind of suspicious, the youngling arc first shown at an event and rumor of it being a pilot and not part of the regular season, and then rumor that the arc was placed into S5 in lieu of the Clovis arc, as if they knew S5 was going to be their last chance to show those kids. And then the kids show up in the S5 finale for a quick cameo as well when Anakin is putting a beat down on Barris... and then TCW gets cancelled.

I also find it suspicious that Ashoka was being groomed as a sort of mentor to younglings through latter episodes of TCW... the end of Lightsaber Lost, the Padawan Lost arc ("master, not only did I survive because of your teachings, I lead others to survive as well"), and of course the Young Jedi arc. The connection to the kids is already there.

Forget whether you like the concept or not... could you imagine those kids starring in a Star Wars show on a Disney channel? Is it Disney-esque? Probably not what I would be looking for in a Star Wars show, but I think there is a 100% chance that my kids would love it. And that Wookie Jedi with the wooden lightsaber hilt was kind of cool.

Seerow, cwustudent and Circular_Logic like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Reading all this talk of teenagers keeps reminding me of Palpatine's line in his "phone call from Vader" Robot Chicken sketch... "the Death Star blown up by a bunch of ******* teenagers." :p

17. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I would totally love to be able to see all the Robot Chicken SW stuff... *sigh* Sounds like a real laugh!

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    It is all over YouTube... click HERE to get started. And also THIS thread, of course. Please add your thoughts to that thread, by the way, so that this one can stay on topic (my fault, I know! :p).

hlc88 likes this.
  19. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Another reason why Rebels having teens as the main characters doesn't bother me is because it is not a break from tradition. Luke and Leia were 19 in ANH, Anakin was only 9 going on 10 in TPM and 19 in AOTC, Padme was 14 in TPM, and finally Ahsoka was 14-16 in TCW. Then Anakin was 23 in ROTS and Luke and Leia were 21-22 years old in ESB and ROTJ. Yeah I know 21-23 year olds are not teenagers, but, last time I checked those particular ages are still quite young.

So yeah while most characters in TCW and the films were adults the concept of Star Wars focusing on kid, teenage and-or young adult characters is not new to the franchise. Plus as I stated before Weisman is involved and he writes teenagers pretty well. So I'm not worried. Now if somebody like the Man of Action team was involved with a Star Wars show whose main characters are kids or teenagers then I would be worried. Why? Eh I'll explain why in my next post.

Maybe whenever Vader comes back to Coruscant after hunting down any remaining Jedi for a couple of days Palpatine tells him, "Boy you smell bad Lord Vader. I mean really bad. What were you so caught up on hunting down Jedi that you forgot about your personal hygiene? How long has it been since you took a shower? You smell like feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon."

And Gary the Stormtrooper is all like, "Heh heh leathery burnt bacon." :p

20. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The people in charge of this shindig absolutely need to keep in mind that a large section of the Star Wars watching audience - including a large section of the animated series (CW, TCW, Rebels) watching audience, are adults in their 20s, 30s or 40s, and that if they make it totally kid-audience-aimed, dumbed down on all levels for the benefit of kids, they risk totally alienating a huge slice of the fanbase. They must not let this fact slip from them.

Sorry for the big ole run-on sentence, but they do have their place sometimes.

Apophis_ and Mia Mesharad like this.
  21. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Unfortunately being in the UK means I'm region-locked from most of the material :p

I don't think a huge slice of SW fanbase will watch the animated show. SW Rebels will be Disney's first chance to prove that they aren't messing with the franchise... And hopefully they will be able to create a show that caters to everyone and not just the kids.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  22. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    CommanderColt

You bring up some interesting points for the younglings playing a major role in the upcoming series. I had originally thought that they decided to push the Youngling arc to Season 5 in lieu of the Clovis arc because of the decision to make the Ahsoka Fugitive arc the finale, so they had to ensure that all arcs with Ahsoka still as a Jedi needed to occur before her departure from the Order. But the idea of having these teenage Jedi fugitives is admittedly quite intriguing. But I'm not sure I want them playing a major role as a protagonist. We have to remember that the Onderon arc of Season 5 is just as likely a precursor to Rebels, as others have mentioned, having already starred teenage rebel leaders in the Gerrera siblings and having a hidden Jedi playing a role behind the rebellion.

I share similar concerns with 07jonesj and Darth Valkyrus regarding the possibility that Disney will insist on focusing too heavily on the younger crowd of children, pre-teens and teens while leaving some of the older fans out to dry. Hence, what I really want is something darker, something more reflective of the grim nature of the Dark Times, so you gotta break up that group by having a casualty or two right off the bat, and/or have Petro fall to the Dark Side. I would especially welcome seeing Katooni abandon her Jedi heritage and join Hondo's merry band of pirates, which may well be the best opportunity to see our favorite Weequay pirate outside of potential Boba-Fett / Aurra Sing tie-ins. That being said, it's all speculation at this point and I am sure producers as experienced as Weisman, Filoni, and Kinberg will ensure that Rebels will appeal to SW fans of every age.

One more point, I remember reading that Rebels itself has a double meaning as a title, not only focusing on the formation of the inital rebel groups that would be precursors to the Alliance, but also a reflection of the rebelliousness of teenagers, hence the teenage protagonists. It is something to think about.

23. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    Like Storm Troopers? Wanna see Tie Fighters in action? Trying to keep animation costs down? Well then welcome to the new Imperial Academy on Kamino! There's always plenty of angst filled teenagers to be found on Kamino. They practically grow them here ...

[​IMG]

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I knew that happened on places like the official SW site, but I didn't think it did on YouTube. So you can't even see the embedded videos in the Robot Chicken thread here?

25. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

I can see some of them but not the full episodes. If the videos are posted by the official channel and they have the full episodes up then I can't. I've seen a few of the videos but once you've seen some of them, I'd like to see all of it.