main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

Well I'm sure you can already find fanart. :p

2. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    As someone who was really invested in the EU, I'll always be a little frustrated with them. However, they did say they would continue to use stuff from it, and that gives me hope!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. The Last One

The Last One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2014
    The EU still exist. I don't care what Disney says..

4. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Well yeah it still exists. It's just in a separate continuity now.

5. The Last One

Jul 24, 2014

Not for real fans.

6. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Stop acting like anybody whose tastes are different from yours are not real Star Wars fans. Seriously.

7. The Last One

Jul 24, 2014
    Do you like the EU?

8. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    A "real" fan would move on and embrace all this great new stuff we're getting, not try to dwell in the past and keep grumbling.

9. The Last One

Jul 24, 2014

I'm not grumbling. I just don't care what Disney says.

10. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I love a lot of it, I like a lot of it, I dislike a lot of it, and I hate a lot of it. The quality is all over the place. Vector Prime and everything set after it was total crap, in my opinion.

But the point I'm trying to make here is that there's no such thing as "true" Star Wars fans. Just Star Wars fans.

Right.

11. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    You may not care what Disney says, but they are the ultimate authority now when it comes to Star Wars. Like I said before, sounds to me like you're just trying to dwell in the past and refusing to embrace all this new content that's being put out.

12. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I have a question. The rebels are going to go around and fight against the empire in their own way right? I'm also assuming that people aren’t going to be on board with them right away. (I’m talking about Star Wars citizens). So, which planet/people and/or fraction do you think will 'join' them first? Like, work with them secretly and form rebel cells.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I mean really, would you rather they pretended the EU was still canon and then procede to change a lot of it for their purposes?Ryloth, Eeth Koth, Even Piell, Barriss Offee, pre-Traviss Mandalore, post-Traviss Mandalore, TCW Mandalore, Troy Denning, etc.

I'm glad that they're being up front about it this time instead of adding to the mess of retcons that the EU became over the years.

14. The Last One

Jul 24, 2014
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Well, I suppose I could, seeing that I agree that the corporate overlords and copyright holders are a bunch of PANTS. But canon does indeed serve a narrative function. In fact, that's exactly what it does, it serves as a continuous narrative. It means actions and events have consequences. It gives a common history to build off of. It means that many different writers and artists can contribute to something that is larger than the sum of its parts without all of it making no f-ing sense. You might like to think that it's we the fans that should control what and where the story should lead, but think of how many times fanservice would have destroyed the integrity of the story? Now, you can argue that the story isn't in better hands with the corporations. They've certainly made decisions that have tanked fandoms (see Return to Labyrinth anyone? my god I hated that story line). But let's be honest, I don't want to be in charge of the story. I want to be told what happens. It's the reason we burn through our entire Netflix queues in a weekend. I don't watch a cliffhanger episode and then just never watch the next episode because I can imagine what will happen afterwards and take satisfaction in my own version of events. I want to know what happens. And what if there were two versions of what those events could be? Well, I'd honestly feel cheated. Like, which one is it really? There's a satisfaction in knowing what really happened, whether we love it or hate it. There's a reason we feel cheated when stories ret-con everything, or suddenly the universe reboots, or we're thrown into an alternate timeline where everything else didn't matter. It's because then it's no longer the same story or the same characters. Instead of getting rid of canon it should just put the fear of God into those that are in control of the canon to not muck it up. Without canon, I feel like none of it is real, and if it doesn't feel real then what is the point?
    It also ruins world building. I used to take great pride in knowing all the little off-shoot stories and characters in Star Wars. If nothing is canon, then how can I really dive into a particular universe? If I want to know what character X thinks about Z, do I have to question whether it's in storyline A, B, or C? It might seem like it's that way now (think of the different Sherlocks we have), but at least Moffitt's Sherlock has its own integrity. If I had to answer a question about Sherlock, and take into consideration the show as well as all the story lines other people have created in the fandom, I'd have no idea how to answer. That that's the problem right there. [face_relieved]

darthosaka and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  15. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Asajj Ventress, the climate of Ryloth, Barriss Offee, Adi Gallia, Eeth Koth, Mandalore, Darth Maul, Moraband/Korriban.

Those are all things that TCW retconned, and I say that as someone who likes almost all of TCW.

And that's just off the top of my head. If I went looking, I could find a ton of comics and novels that contradict things said in previous comics and novels. The EU's continuity was a mess.

darthosaka likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe the Separatist planets will join them? For example, Umbarans, Neimoidians, Skakoans, Geonosians, Muuns.

17. The Last One

Jul 24, 2014

Sorry bro I didn't read the rules.

18. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

I'm going to go with Bail Organa and Alderaan in general.

darthosaka and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I noticed that in TCW, the Republic took control of Umbara against the will of the Umbarans. I could see that coming back to bite the Empire.

darthosaka likes this.
  20. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014

That would be an interesting turn of events. I know the Empire doesn’t like anything that isn’t human, so maybe those people are being oppressed so badly that they want to fight back? We have slave Wookies being shown already, and I don’t think that anyone who is a non-human is much better off. Maybe they join out of sheer desperation for their people to actually survive the war?

Kablob

I was thinking that too. I’d imagine he’d be able to get a few other senators and planet’s on board as well. I wonder if we’ll see Riyo Chuchi again. Or would she not be allowed to participate in the senate because she is not ‘human’ by the Empire standards?

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Yeah, possibly a few other senators like Mon Mothma and Garm Bel Iblis? ;) And Chuchi isn't that alien. I'd imagine that Pantorans, Mirialans and the like are probably treated a lot better by the Empire than, say, Wookiees and Lasats. If still around, I definitely feel like she'd be one of the Imperial senators that defect to the Rebels.

22. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That would be good. :) Hmm. I just thought that since they didn't look too mcuh like humans in the sense of skin tone and such, they might be in for a rocky ride. Anyway, Senator Chuchi as a defector huh? That could be very interesting. Actually, now I'm kinda hoping they do that.

darthosaka likes this.
  23. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Well I'm sure they're treated worse than humans, but that the more human your species looks the better off you are under the Empire.

darthosaka likes this.
  24. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I really liked Chuchi, I hope they bring her back. And it would even be interesting to go to Pantora at some point, the very brief glimpses we saw of it in TCW seemed intriguing.

darthosaka and cwustudent like this.
  25. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I would be surprised if Pantora didn't join the Rebellion at some point, because
    in the sample chapter for Heir to the Jedi it's mentioned that the Rebels are doing environmental training on Orto Plutonia.