main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Before I get on to the main part of my post I just want to explain what I meant yesterday when I said that I would be worried if Man of Action (MOA) was involved with Rebels. You see I know some people are worried that Rebels may focus too much on teenagers with attitudes. I understand that particular concern and with that I just would like to state that MOA shows tend to take the whole "kids/teens have attitudes" trope and turn it up to eleven. Don't believe me? Just watch a couple episodes of the original Ben 10 and Generator Rex and you'll know what I'm talking about. So yeah just be glad that Weisman is involved with Rebels instead. And while I understand the concerns about possible executive meddling from Disney that is another "we'll just have to and see" deal.

Not that MOA's shows are bad or anything. Their shows just tend to exaggerate the whole kids and teenagers have attitudes trope that's all. So yeah that's why I would be a bit worried if they were involved with Rebels in any way, shape or, form.

Anyways, it is possible that the younglings from the Young Jedi arc are going to be the teenagers that rebel against the Empire. Or maybe they are going to be Onderon like (read: Non Force/Non Jedi) rebels. Or maybe there will be a combination of both young Jedi rebels hiding from the Empire and non Force users who don't like the direction the Empire is heading in. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing characters like Gungi and Katooni again.

2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well I don't want Rebels to be all about those younglings running from Vader that is fore sure but 6 or so years in seems like the time they would be on the hit list. Empire is probably going to start with Council Members then Masters then Knights. Padawans are going to be all the way at the bottom unless they are just stupid.

Probably a combination of both at this point. I mean Onderon was obvious setup through and through.

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    You don't have to convince me, I'm not one of those statistically-minded folks you refer to, anyway (especially when I'm creating or experiencing the art of others). I just think that a balance between the two should be something to strive for. After all, if what I'm watching is reasonably realistic, I'm all the more willing to go along for the ride and enjoy that escape.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Being focused on teenagers doesn't mean Rebels can't get all dark and grim. The Onderon rebels are another possibility with Saw, some of the rebels that were with him, and maybe Lux in that 'band'. Saw himself down seem a little old. However I just think there are some hints about the Young Jedi kids. The picture posted alone seems like foreshadowing to me. Heh at there being six, can't use the sixth ranger trope with them..

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    YA books are often plenty dark and by definition they feature teenage main characters. It can happen, especially given an evil Empire as the setting.

6. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

I gotcha. But I'm sure you can agree, many do take it too far, to the extent of missing the point, though.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah probably some combination of both. Do we actually have an age for Saw?

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This exactly.

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

I remember I originally thought Steela was Ahsoka's age and Saw was the older of the two and quickly got corrected. I'm not sure how old he is. And it doesn't really matter since they could always retcon him. It wouldn't be the first time folks who look like 25 year old adults play teenagers.

As for the discussion about suspension of belief. Being a cartoon buff and having alot of nostalgia for the stuff I grew up with I believe I have mastered the 'lame filter' and am capable of enjoying about any lame thing. I use it to some extent on just about everything I watch. I used it plenty on TCW. However a lame filter should not be the only thing that keeps me or anybody watching something.

10. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Remember they may have to target the show for the Disney audiences too which would point to more younger characters... to draw them in and make it a very successful show. There is a lot riding on this show... They've also got to attempt to cater for the fans who may not be too pleased about TCW cancellation. They've got a big task ahead of them to make this work and satisfy everyone.

11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The first episode should involve a graphic depiction of a Base Delta Zero operation in progress.

Just to say "No, this ain't gonna be kiddiefied" right at the start.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder whether the GFFA will have a "PT look" or an "OT look".

VanishingReality likes this.
  13. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    probably it's own look

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    As in something in between? Keep in mind that Rebels takes place in between ROTS and ANH, meaning the GFFA has to transition from ROTS-looking to ANH-looking.

15. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Look at mcquarrie artwork, the feel is based on his work

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    That would certainly... set the tone!

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree. Though I'd prefer Rebels feature a large number of characters and storylines, rather than focusing on the adventures of any single "band" (especially given the nineteen years the show potentially has at its disposal), the idea that teenagers will fill the lead roles isn't the issue, to me.

As long as the producers remember to pay heed to what the climate of the time period is supposed to represent (militarism, oppression, loss of freedoms under Imperial rule, and the like, pitted against the struggle against tyranny, the common man, the birth of hope, unification, rebellion, etc.), I think we'll be okay.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Bet there will be Droid-Centric episodes in this show

VanishingReality likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope not. They tried that already.

20. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I hope General Tandin of Onderon becomes a major early rebel leader.

Granted, he's pretty far from being a teen.

cwustudent and Mia Mesharad like this.
  21. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Come on, it does not have to be about C-3P0.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Supposedly the season 5 one was going to be about R2 but it ended up being about "WTF did I just watch???"

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    All of the stories in Rebels will be told from WAC's point of view. :p

24. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I just hope in Rebels we don't get duff arcs that don't contribute to the overall story they want to tell, UNLESS its for character development/growth.

25. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I wouldn't want the younglings as teens, because the characters personalities work very well as younglings. Due to the trauma of the purge, I wouldn't be surprised if they had completely different personalties as adults. (Like Boba Fett) Also, my favorite youngling is Byph, which means I'm going to have to become an Ithorian fangirl and I don't want to be that person.

They have to match TCW's quality of being consistently great every episode with rare exception.