main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Looking for a few hundred people in a galaxy of trillions... first few years? The best results were had in ROTS, before the Jedi knew they were betrayed. Armies of clones at their unsuspecting generals' & commanders' backs, fish-in-a-barrel in the temple with a blue-sabered apparent Jedi hero leading the slaughter...

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You mean the same Jedi who couldn't deduce there was something fishy about the fact that Jango was connected both to the clone army and the Separatists could hide from a Galactic Empire that is everywhere? You've seen how they convicted Ahsoka without properly questioning her before. The Jedi are morons.

This being OJO Jedi, I expect monumentally stupid behaviour.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. ac4155

ac4155 Jedi Knight

May 11, 2013
    I sort of hope this shares the same animation style with TCW. I think it would tie it all in better and be less off putting, in a sense, with multiple different film/TV styles.

Plus, TCW animation has quite grown on me by this point.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    However it looks, there needs to be a transition from ROTS to ANH.

5. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    The Empire isn't "everywhere".

Nor is everyone IN the Empire automatically evil & Jedi-haters.

The Jedi Order are morons... there were probably members that questioned the links between Jango, the clones, and the Seps, but the Council and/or the Chancellor said "Hey, there's a war on... no time to investigate this."

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Of course not but a lot of civilians work for the Empire and the Empire will also send spies to every location where dissidents could hide. Mandalore, Onderon, Alderaan, those are the most insecure places of them all.

7. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Most former Jedi, tho, wouldn't be dissidents... and would probably avoid places where dissidents were gathering, to avoid Imperial attention.

8. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Some Jedi would attempt to fight back. Most of the surviving Jedi had no idea about the possible future for the Jedi Order in Luke and Leia. They wouldn't know why two of their surviving Council Masters have chosen to hide themselves and not fight back. They wouldn't know of that hope. Some would hide but some would fight back because they wouldn't want to see the Sith rule the galaxy. To not have some Jedi in Rebels would be a bit silly since not all of them would have gone into seclusion or led a quiet life.

PraenomenCognomen likes this.
  9. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    There are some places that were kinda beyond the empire's borders. Sure it liked to call itself the "Galactic Empire" but it didn't in fact rule the entire galaxy, and its writ didn't run everywhere.

The Unknown Regions and Chiss space were not part of the Empire, for example.

10. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't the Chiss worship the Empire? Or have I got that wrong? I'm just thinking of Thrawn...

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Chiss are allied with the Empire. Obviously your best bet is too hid on some backwater planet.

hlc88 likes this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Even in Hutt space they run the risk of being sold out by some lying gangster type. No mans land like Dagobah or the Tattoine desert is more or less safe, but any civilized location is dangerous.

13. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Not terribly dangerous, unless they're going around floating stuff with their mind, or brandishing a lightsaber every time someone looks their way. If rebels like Bail could survive for 19 years of Imperial rule, why not more former Jedi than the only two that knew about the twins?

Galaxy's full of backwaters, and full of TRILLIONS of people. Ben Kenobi didn't even change his last name, and nobody looked twice at him... while someone DID tattle on his saber antics in Mos Eisley, I didn't see Greedo or any other unsavory individuals in the bar attempting to kill him or arrest him.

But why would the Chiss turn anyone over to the Empire? They were barely allies, anyway... if someone shows up in Chiss space that's not Chiss, they may question it. But, there was a war, so refugees might not be uncommon. The Chiss aren't gonna know that some of these scattered newcomers are Jedi, again unless the newcomers are running around in brown robes all the time, brandishing lightsabers, making things float, attempting Mind Tricks every other day (and Watto shows us that even a failed mind trick doesn't always make the one who resisted it say "Oh, you ARE a Jedi!"). The only reasons the Chiss would have to turn newcomers over to the Empire is because they're not blue... or if the Empire asked them to turn over any & all newcomers, which seems pretty damn extensive for a new, not-yet-totally-evil Empire. Probably TONS of worlds in the Unknown Regions, even in Chiss space, for someone to go to disappear.

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Bail is not as dumb as the Jedi though. OJO have zero social skills and are incapable of reading other people. If some fleeing Jedi ever came across a gangster who is working for the imperials they would probably be screwed because their lack of savvy would give them away immediately.

As for Ben he was still living in the middle of the desert for the most part. But he still would've been screwed if Han had chosen to phone-call the imperials instead of delivering Ben and Luke to Alderaan.

The Chiss could turn over Jedi to forge a good relationship with the empire. It would be a cold but very logical thing to do...

Side question: Do the "unknown regions" exist in movie- and TCW-verse?

15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Again, tho, how would the Chiss KNOW they were Jedi? And their social skills... you make 'em out like they're Sheldon Cooper. They had plenty of social skills, and obviously have to go undercover from time to time on their missions, disguise their true nature... fear of death or imprisonment will do a lot to motivate them to hide their true nature.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They ARE Sheldon Cooper. Have you seen Yodas talk with Anakin in ROTS? Or just recently the very premature conviction of Ahsoka? The inability to connect the dots of Palpatines rise to power and the fact that "a Sith controls the senate"? Etc. The Jedi (especially of higher rank) are pretty much clueless in any situation that involves interacting with people or reading them, possibly because they rely too much on their "keen force insight".

I think most simply don't have the ability to successfully hide let alone from special forces like the Inquisitorius.

VanishingReality likes this.
  17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    To be fair I think that is plot induced stupidity but then again Ashoka could not use an elevator correctly.

VanishingReality and Darth_Pevra like this.
  18. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Do we even know that kind of special force will exist, tho?

But, again, I can't stress this enough: SPACE IS BIG. A few hundred people hiding among TRILLIONS of other people among tens of thousands of inhabitable worlds--if not millions--across a hundred thousand lightyears.

You make out the Empire to be far more efficient than they are.

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They don't need to be overly competent to deal with Jedi.

What I also think is that the Empire uses lots of civilian spies like eastern germany back in the days of the USSR. It's not necessary to make your own hands dirty when you can motivate neighbours to betray each other. And then there is the bounty on Jedi.

In Hutt space the Jedi are even more in danger because there is no honor between thieves and so on.

20. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    If they can lay low it's more safe because they don't have to face Force users.

21. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Space, again... BIG.

Jedi not dressing like Jedi, not using Jedi powers, not using Jedi weapons, and motivated by the government turning against them, they won't seem or look very Jedi-like.

PLENTY of worlds that don't give a spit about Jedi, or assume any new neighbors are secret Jedi. Even "crazy old wizards" don't get turned in.

PLENTY of worlds that don't feel the full weight of the Imperial regime, ESPECIALLY not in the first several years of the Empire--and by the time they do, the ex-Jedi will have learned to blend in.

Also, short of holonet news or whatever, the vast majority of the galaxy's inhabitants probably have never even seen a Jedi up close or in action. There were only 10,000 of them. That's a RIDICULOUSLY small amount of people. Not even a single percentage point of Coruscant's population, if they were all at home in the temple.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yea, yea, Space big. Just not in SW where Luke randomly lands on a planet a far kilometers away from Yoda's hutt or where the droids land a few kilometers away from Lukes home. Or where defeating the rebels at one place would mean the defeat of the entire rebellion.

You can say that all happened due to destiny but then I can as well claim it is the destiny of the Jedi to die until a saviour comes around.

Realism is just not that important in SW. And the size of the universe or planets is never portrayed in a consistent and realistic manner.

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

As much as I'm always the one saying that Jedi could easily survive, this is an argument I can actually get behind. Some try to use logic and realism as a way of explaining why the Jedi don't survive, but the logic is always flawed.

So yes, I think this all depends on the sort of narrative they're trying to set up. There's a way to do it with Jedi alive, and a way to do it with them dying all over the place. Just depends which story they want to tell.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well right now I go with what the OT sets up. The tyrannical Empire has all but wiped out all the memory of Jedi (Tarkin talks of them like they are just a vague memory of the past) and in RotJ it is down to Luke, the very last of them, to restore the order and fight Vader and Palps.

No K'kruhks, no Tra Saas, no however they are all named.

If there are Jedi I hope they are few and far between in the Dark Times (I don't think the series should overly focus on the force users anyways) and bite the dust before ANH.

25. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    I go with what the EU sets up, that the Jedi hide... and most of them quit being Jedi, certainly by the time ANH rolls around. We still don't know how K'Kruhk survived for as long as he did yet, or exactly when/how Tholme died & T'ra Saa rooted herself, or what any of 'em were up to during the OT, but for the rest? Not being Jedi, that's all. Tarkin & Ben's statements, they can easily be taken to mean "there aren't a whole lot left, and whatever ARE left aren't a threat thanks to Imperial propaganda & Imperial dominance". Only Obi-Wan & Yoda know of the twins, so only THEY know of a plan to overthrow the Sith... so they train Luke, who has the best shot. After the Empire falls... those hidden ex-Jedi might think about taking up the saber again, but until that time Luke's still the only Jedi left. You seem to have forgotten that ever-so-important lesson in ROTJ, "a certain point of view". From a certain point of view, Luke's the last Jedi... but from another, there are plenty more out there that might want to learn a newer, better Jedi way than the one that led them to ruin at the end of the Clone Wars.

Also, regarding Dagobah & Tatooine, there are extremely easy explanations other than "destiny": Yoda subtly guides Luke thru the Force. Maybe Obi-Wan's spirit planted the seed in his mind about a target landing site. As for the droids on Tatooine... who was flying the escape pod? R2. Who knew that Anakin had a stepbrother on a farm on Tatooine? R2. Who probably knew (not sure if he was IN the conference room scene, but he may have easily overheard if he wasn't in the room) that Obi-Wan was taking Luke to Anakin's family on Tatooine? R2.

That's why the droids landed fairly close to the Lars homestead... tho still quite a ways away, being picked up by a band of Jawas who had spread out in two opposite directions, a roving group in the canyon, the Sandcrawler much further south.