main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, only a few more weeks until Season 2 starts. Huzzah.

2. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    About a month.

3. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Dang I was excited for a second and then I realized that it was from the premiere and isn't new to me! :p

4. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    30 days exactly!

5. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Oh no, you poor thing... XD

6. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    They've definitely captured Vader's fighting style.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It's very heavy

Don't know if that's the right way to describe it but I love it.

8. Mr. Loth Cat

Mr. Loth Cat Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 4, 2015
    I would describe Vader's style as deliberate. Notice how Kanan seems to be taken random stabs at Vader, but Vader seems to be much more calculated, strategic, and to the point.

9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They made kanan still playing around with his lightsaber rather than actually trying to fight for his life and for the life of his friends. One thing they did was to make Vader more monstrous than he was even in the movies. Kanan should be around 6'2" while Vader like 6'6 or 6'7", but there is a titanic difference between Vader and Kanan on the toon.

[​IMG]

He towers over him, and surely over 7 feet. And despite being very thin, he's larger in scale proportions to Kanan who is also skinny in their artistic stylization on the show. He's very Frankenstein monster, and reminds me of how they did Savage, as a lanky giant and Frankenstein monster. Vader's strength should tore Kanan's arms outve his socket and broke his wrist, and Vader is making the same classic villain mistakes that Inquisitor made, talk and play with his prey and never kill them to drag the series, which of course they need to do. ;)

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Vader moved less robotic; seemed very fluid with his movement.

11. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Not sure how else they should do it tbh, without outright killing the main characters and end the show. Dismemberment of limbs doesn't really work since Vader doesn't have reason to not kill them outright unlike with Luke in ESB and not sure if they're willing to directly show it on-screen due to the target audience and what not. Capture? We already had that with Kanan, another one will be repetitive and we all know escape will happen one way or another, sooner or later. Characters joining the Darkside or betrayals? Too soon imo.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You should read the summaries for the pilot, there's a reason for why Vader acts the way he does.

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It would've been too easy for Filoni to write Vader as cold, brutal killer. As Darth_Pevra said, there is a reason why Vader let's them live; it helps add another dimension to his character, which was lacking in the OT and - to an extent - with Anakin as well. He's no longer the "kill first, ask questions later" mentality.

podjazd and Senator Kelberry like this.
  14. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I have to admit, as awesome as I think the clip is, I was vaguely wondering why Vader didn't just cleave Kanan in half, but then, it is just a few seconds and should be fairly evaluated in the larger context of the full episode. Which of course I'll be doing next month. Very much looking forward to it!

15. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @DanielUK Why does Vader need "another dimension". His story's been told there's nothing they could add now that makes me surprised that I/the fans have discussed and have it as an accepted opinion.

Generally:
    Why can't the show just make new characters with a better story?
    I don't think you can say the show has achieved it's intended purpose when most people just want to see Darth Vader vs Ahsoka Tano. I feel that it's pandering.
    Likewise the main draw to season Two is the Clones and Vader. They are already existing characters. I don't have any desire to see the show again for just those characters. Don't get me wrong it's a good looking show but story wise it sucks. It's too one dimensional and there's no motivation.

16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yea, however the real world reason is cause its a serial with multi arc storylines, the TV movie pilot is setting up the series. Vader in-universe is making the same mistakes Tarkin, Kallus and the 1st Inquisitor had made. Vader is also failing to follow his own edict of if they cannot be turned, destroy them he gave to the 1st Inquisitor for the first season's special edition premiere. Vader taking out rebel canon fodder may be nice visually and cinematiically but it amounts to nothing as the Rebel military obviously survives and eventually has a victory shortly before ANH(crawl) and again their triumph on Yavin IV which ultimately leads to Vader's fall from grace in Sidious's eyes and he begins seeking a new apprentice openly and other replacements.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Tarkin didn't make any real mistakes, he was the victim of plot contrivances. A villain who is bested by the power of plot can't be called dumb.

18. Knight Wolf

Knight Wolf Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 6, 2014
    We were told in the beginning that Rebels was not Clone Wars 2.0. However, when you can sum up season 1 with ‘Fulcrum is Ahsoka’ then like Darthmaul208 said the show hasn’t achieved it's intended purpose. And it’s not completely the fault of Rebels. The way TCW was ended/canceled left a lot of fans and even people on the production side of the equation feeling like there was no closure. Personally, I think TCW should have been allowed to run its full course before introducing Rebels.

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Filoni and Lucas planned a Clone Wars spin-off set after ROTS, one series was to lead directly into the other seamlessly I guess. So likely he's incorporating and porting many of those ideas on Rebels, especially with the massive outpouring & encouragement of TCW fans and backlash directed at Disney. It should make Rebels a stronger and broader program and more open world like TCW was.

20. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    But there's the problem for me. Rebels isn't TCW. It's sub par. The writing and characterisation are all over the place. It would have worked and been more fruitful to seamlessly transition into a Dark Times show. It just seems rebels dropped quality (writing not animation or design) straight down. As much as I hate that TCW the fact that now we get TCW 2.0 makes it even worse. Rebels isn't TCW or lives up to what I expected from the show. Now if they include TCW it feels generally more because we can and because it would be "exciting" to rather than interconnected stories.
    All Filoni's favourite clones live in a desert- I just can't buy that. Ahsoka vs Vader- I don't want to see it or need to.
    It ruins the new characters who just don't have room to develop and feel "squashed in". I can tell you a bit about there history but that's from interviews with the cast than the show. Take out TCW characters develop the characters like Firefly, give them a backstory, motivations, conflicting opinions and then have TCW incorporated when you've proven these are real people who do real things.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Rebels isn't TCW and it shouldn't and doesn't need to be either.

i agree with Pevra. A lot of the 'lameness' of Rebels comes from plot convenience, not character stupidity. Tarkin is anything but dumb. I do agree there is no credibility or realism to invest in thus far. I hope that changes. I particularly tire of Sabine acting like she's simply a video game ping pong ball.

22. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013

We had a whole season of new characters in Rebels, and are still getting their backstories in the future. The fact that the VAs for example know backstory for their characters shows they will be shown.

Whether or not that was enough 'alone time' with the Ghost crew is subjective, I think we have gotten a good feel for them all with enough mystery still left to whet the appetite.

Ahsoka and the clones showing up is great for me, I was one who thought Ahsoka and Rex got shafted by TCW being cancelled and can't wait to see them again. Plus, they will play really well off of Rebels original characters like Kanan and classics like Vader.

Watto and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Knight Wolf

Knight Wolf Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 6, 2014
    TCW 2.0ness (is that even a word?) that’s in Rebels over shadows/over powers Rebels itself. Like I said TCW should have been allowed to run its full course before introducing Rebels. Then Rebels could have stood on its own instead of being the closure for TCW. That’s not to say Rebels couldn’t have cameos from TCW they just wouldn’t be as big of a deal as they are now.
    And that’s the dilemma I’m having. I want closure for TCW but I don’t want it in Rebels. In hindsight I find it kinda sad that the thing that got me excited about Rebels was the pitch changes for Fulcrum.

24. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    It sounded pretty clear from the reviews Vader wasn't out to kill the Ghost Crew.

Octavian Dibar likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, they dropped the show onto the market as fast as possible. There's at least some hope that they now have enough time time to develop these cardboard cutouts and start writing better plots.