main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Like I've said in previous posts, the inclusion of Ezra was more than likely to appeal to the younger audience. Even though Ahsoka was essentially the same age towards the beginning of TCW, she could still hold her own in a fight (no silly slingshots needed) and was commanding her own troops not too long after. Ezra would probably pee in his pants if he was confronted by General Grievous and the droid army.

Knight Wolf likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ezra got thrown around the room by Vader.

Him peeing in his pants would have added to the entertainment value there.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    How in any way, shape, or form was Ahsoka more disneyfied than Ezra? As I've mentioned what seems like a million times on here, TCW was rated TV-PG, Rebels is rated TV-Y. That rating for Rebels translates to a YOUNGER AUDIENCE. And considering Filoni himself suggested that Ezra was "the Star Wars Aladdin", then well, there you go.

4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    As juvenile as I can be at times, him peeing his pants seems overly juvenile..... No matter how scared he was.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked the eopie fart joke in TPM so I'd be fine with it. :p

6. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    That was in Jar Jars face wasnt it? Because then it dosn't, dosn't count.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Charland Burthes

Charland Burthes Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2015
    In the sense that she was 'the Star Wars Hanna Montana.' I don't think Filoni ever said that but, I am now.
    Ahsoka grew over the course over the series, and she became more believable. In the first season she was, in my opinion, overpowered, annoying and a flawed concept from the start (Yoda wanted Anakin to have a padawan because he needed more people to grow emotionally attached to?? That's pretty bad.)
    That being said, I absolutely loved what Ahsoka turned into later in the series.

And I was kind of agreeing with you, but Rebels strikes me as hitting a more believable balance between catering to young audiences and creating interesting stories for all audiences.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm still waiting for season 2 of Rebels to accept that notion that there will be more interesting stories for all audiences. To this point, there's only one that really interests me, and of course it's a carryover from TCW.

Knight Wolf likes this.
  9. henryj95

henryj95 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    This was all good to know. I was merely curious. I don't think Ezra seems anymore out of place than Ahsoka did to begin with. I think they both just have loud personalities and they own that; it reminds me of Luke in A New Hope. I also think that the particular story they're telling in Rebels works much better with a kid.

10. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Can you expand on that statement? I am (genuinely) curious as to why you think this story is told better with the inclusion of children characters. Maybe I am just not looking at the story from the right perspective.

11. henryj95

Mar 10, 2014
    Sure! With Ezra being the age he is, he has no preconceived notions about the Force or anything surrounding the Jedi. After the prequels and TCW made the Jedi look much less "perfectly good", Rebels is revitalizing the true "good" side of the Force.

Kanan was a part of the old order and has since given up on being a Jedi. The creators have touched on this many times, but they are showing how they teach each other. As for the benefit of Ezra's actual age, it's two-pronged. Firstly, canon demands it because of the amount of time that passes between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. But it also allows Ezra to be easily moldable as a person and any changes in ideals or motivation are, in my opinion, more believable because he has yet to become set in what he feels and thinks.

Vthuil and TK-421 Is vader like this.
  12. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Appreciate the response. Makes sense from your perspective. As someone who would rather the Jedi play a minimal, if not no, role in this particular series I can see how that would skew my thoughts. But as far as the Ezra/Kanan and now Ahsoka dynamic I can see how those who are into that sort of thing can appreciate it.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting perspective but one I don't share. A person Ezra's age is already chock full of preconceived ideas. I think he's as 'malleable' as he is because 1. Aimed at kids (which could be concerning) and 2. Because they indeed seem to be attempting to widen what Force-Sensitive is/means which is good.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    What's debatable is the force-sensitive notions in terms of how they relate to canon material. What isn't debatable is how Rebels certainly has traits that are more geared towards a younger audience. But we all have our reasons to watch it anyway, with anticipation.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    To each their own. :)

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    Guys, guys. The real question we should be asking here is "When is Sixes going to make an appearance?"

17. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

Lol @ Ezra looking way cooler in this than he does in the actual show. Seriously tho show Ezra needs a visual update compared to everyone else...

podjazd and cwustudent like this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I really like Sabine's look there.

As for Ezra- he's still young. He may not stick to the Jedi way, and in fact being around Ahsoka might show him that he can still make a difference without pledging his life to the Jedi way. Although, we don't know really if Ahsoka's really veered far off the Jedi path or not.

19. henryj95

Mar 10, 2014
    It's funny, because when there were only rumors about Ahsoka appearing in Rebels, I was hoping she would start out as someone for Ezra/Kanan to look up to. But then over time, it would become clear that her "not quite a Jedi" ways are too dark/misguided for our rebels and they would more solidly commit to being Jedi in the traditional sense. It would help to counter the "Jedi aren't that great" mentality left by the prequels and TCW. A good example of that "student outgrows the teacher" thing was Stick's appearance in Marvel's Daredevil on Netflix.

But it seems that Ahsoka never really left her Jedi ways behind, which I'm willing to roll with. I guess I just really enjoy Filoni and Co.'s style of storytelling.

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No and No

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Yeah, good point. Don't know why they chose Sabine of all people to change at all.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Alot of people within the forum have suggested Ahsoka had apparently left certain aspects of the Jedi behind her. It's one thing to argue that since walking out on the Temple she's abandoned their rules and regulations; but it doesn't mean that she won't use the force while it's still at her fingertips. And it also doesn't mean that she won't be using her lightsaber(s); it's just a question of when would we see her using them?

23. henryj95

Mar 10, 2014
    Actually, I was saying it looks like she hasn't left any of her Jedi ways behind. My comments about her being a bit "off the beaten path" were my speculations of what would be cool before she actually showed up.

As to when she uses the lightsabers, I think that shot from the bts video of her turning them on is from the second half of the retired clones story. On rebelsreport.com, they found some concept art of a city on the barren planet their AT-TE is on. If you look at those pictures and watch the shot of Ahsoka, it looks like it could be that city at night. After they flee the AT-ATs, I have a feeling the climax of that story will take place within the city and that's where Ahsoka shows up. The shot in the trailer of the crew approaching Ahsoka from behind makes me think she's talking to Rex, maybe about Darth Vader.

Dave Filoni said she'll be in-and-out of the story, Gandalf style. Her showing up once they've gotten Rex off the planet to inform him of the connection she made would actually make a lot of sense. Then also, the audience won't hear any talk of Anakin.

I think we should also prepare for at least one of the clones to not make it out of this first two-parter.

Docgeo and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    With regard to the Gandalf style reference, I also took it that it's possible that they may have brief 5 to 10 minute scenes in certain episodes where Ahsoka is separated from the Ghost crew and is on her own agenda somewhere in the galaxy. Of course, then you'll get people on here whining at the show being centered around her yet again.

Docgeo likes this.
  25. henryj95

Mar 10, 2014
    Maybe! In the movies, the audience gets to see what Gandalf is up to but in the books (or The Hobbit, at least) we don't ever actually get to see what he's off doing. I'm excited to find out which it will be.

I'm not concerned about the focal point of the series, at the moment. What Rebels did with its first season (which TCW really could have benefited from) was give us a true POV character. Ezra, and the way he thinks, is so well established to the audience that we can stray a bit from the intense focus on him because, whenever he does show up, we can immediately identify him as "our guy"; our window into the Star Wars Rebels universe (for me, at least). I think Ahsoka would have been more widely appealing to everyone if she had received more individual attention in the first season. If you think about Siege of Lothal and episodes like Out of Darkness, Idiot's Array, and Fire Across the Galaxy, Ezra definitely takes on a more supporting role but it totally works because of the attention he's been given for most of the first season.