main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    What if one of the "strong female leads" isn't actually a rebel, but an imperial?

Mara?

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that two strong female leads are both new characters. While Ahsoka and Asajj probably appear at some point. But they already are fan favorites. At least they both have fans....

3. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    Granted it does look like Ventress ...

[​IMG]

But it could just as easily be this guy. It's a rough sketch. It's hard to tell.

[​IMG]

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

Or an OC female villain. Weisman has had those to granted in Gargloyes they all are hyper-violent sociopaths except for Fox. Kinda anime-like.

VanishingReality likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    An OC female villain could be awesome.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Leia is likely to be one of the female leads, especially if we're only five years away from ANH.

7. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I thought DF said earlier that neither of the twins would be in it.

I thought it was a dumb stand to take at the time. I can buy Luke not being in it, but Leia by this time should be a rising star of the Imperial senate. 5 years before ANH Leia would be 13-14. When her mother was 14 she was elected leader of her homeworld, pled its case before the senate, led the Battle of Naboo from the front, and then took over as senator for Naboo when the previous holder, Palpatine, vacated the post to take up the chancellery. Knowng what we already know of Leia's character, I would certainly expect to see her following in her mother's footsteps at a similar age. So she should definitely be in the show.

Maybe they talked him out of that idea.

8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree that Leia could be a terrific resource for the show.

It's said that Leia was the youngest ever Senator at 16 (I don't know if a distinction is made for Imperial Senator or any Senator in the history of the Republic, but I digress). So if the show picks up at 5 BBY, we'd potentially have two years of Leia before she becomes a more major player. I think that could be time well spent in laying the groundwork for her character, and if the show makes it three in-universe years (and from the sound of Wiseman's "we'll be showing the formation of the Alliance" quote, it will), we could then see Leia take over as Imperial Senator of Alderaan. I think that would be a pretty cool thing to see.

As far as Luke is concerned, even if he's my favorite SW character, I think it works better if he's not shown much (if at all) in Rebels. Still, I've said before that I wouldn't be opposed to, say, a side appearance for Luke (and maybe Owen and Beru) in an arc starring Ben Kenobi in exile on Tatooine (in which case, how great would a Mark Hamill turn as a special guest-star be?).

9. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I honestly hope we do get at least an episode or two showing a young Luke and Leia. Too much would be a bad thing, but their stories are so intertwined with this period of time, and if done right could be really entertaining. I like the thought of Leia beginning her ascent to the Imperial Senate, as well as some glimpses of Luke's life pre-ANH. Hanging out with Biggs at Toshi Station anyone?

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Racially Diverse Cast, Thank God one of the reasons I love Greg. Del Rey take notes.

11. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Honestly having bunch of junior high and highschool age kids in positions of authority in an adult world is one thing I hope Star Wars gets away from now that Lucas isn't running the show any longer.

Having a fourteen year old elected queen by her people is one thing I like to not think about. I hope they wouldn't put Leia in a position of adult authority as a fourteen year old just because Padme was in Ep. I.

To this day I do think the only reason why Padme was so young was because Lucas wanted Anakin to be a young kid in Ep. I and didn't want Padme to end up being a cougar when the time came for them to get together.

12. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    They could have made Padme young but not a prodigy. It was kind of disturbing to have Anakin act like a kid and Padme as an adult in TPM. I think that Boba Fett's story in TCW emphasizes how fast kids grow up in GFFA, so that makes Padme's somewhat story more believable. I didn't like throwaway explanation that it was traditional on her planet. So she's in charge of a planet of gungans and lazy adults.

13. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's a Space Opera, people. Leia was a 19 year old Imperial Senator.

Not even old enough to buy a beer! :)

Come to think of it, she'll be Padme's age in TPM when REBELS begins.

14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Yes but I think there still needs to be a sense of realism in how people act. Funny how people are completely fine with a fourteen year old being elected queen in TPM but are completely not fine with a gungan who tells stupid jokes. A gungan who tells stupid jokes is more believable than a fourteen year old being elected queen.

If only Lucas made the decision to have Padme inheritt the throne instead of being elected to the throne.

15. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I enjoy the escape from realism. And I look forward to it continuing in REBELS.

Laser swords, wizards on lizards, sound in space, you get the picture.

Also Naboo as an uberegalitarian idealistic society meshes well with the Galaxy's fall from grace.

16. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    TCW brought us a 14 year old Jedi padawan who had been summarily handed a commander's commission in the GAR. Because apparently all Jedi are given some kinda command rank automatically - general for knights and masters, commander for padawans. Automatic. The fact the the padawans in question might be in the younger half of their teens has no bearing apparently. They're Jedi padawans damn it, so they get that brass just handed out. Zero thought.

The padawan killed by Savage during his first anti-Republic rampage at that temple looked even younger than Ahsoka. I wonder if he was a commander too.

17. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Lol, well I guess you and I think differently then when it comes to what we want to see from character interactions within the star wars universe/

18. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

If Padme could throw someone off a cliff just by thinking about throwing them off a cliff I would be more accepting of her having a high authority position as well as an early teen.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not a fan of kids being put into adult positions regardless of the universe. It seems that "it's a fantasy universe" is used as a reason to accept kids ruling planets or commanding armies but when a viewer demands that the kids actually behave like adults or receive adult consequences, "he or she is just a kid!" is supposed to be an acceptable reason. Seems like the franchise tries to have it both ways.

I don't see any real reason to have Padme elected as ruler at age 13 or 14; she and Anakin could have been their AOTC ages.

20. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I never have looked into the making of TPM (if there is any explanation out there at all about why the decision was made to introduce Anakin to us as a 9 year old). If I had to guess though it was because Lucas didn't want to make his training almost identical to Luke's (with the only difference being Anakin fell to the darkside while Luke didn't). And Padme was fourteen so by the time Ep. III rolled around we wouldn't have a forty year old woman having sex with a twenty year old guy.

I just hope Disney gets away from the stuff that was done with Padme for future stories in the Star Wars universe.

21. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Technically though now that I think about it if the movies weren't intended to be so kid friendly it would have made a great deal of sense to have Padme be significantly older than Anakin. Anakin could have become obsessed with her because he was trying to fill the void left by his mother not being around.

22. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought that's what happened....in the movie

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Absolutely that's what happened. Just because Padme wasn't 35 when Anakin met her doesn't mean that there weren't Oedipal themes all over the place.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    That's true. But in the meantime Padme's character became entirely unrealistic because they wanted to make their ages fairly similar. If Padme was 25 or 30 in TPM her character would have made a whole lot more sense and she still would have been young enough to have kids ten years later and fall in love/lust with a twenty year old Anakin.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    People are attached to their mothers at ages much older than nine and still suffer pretty badly from a permanent separation. Making Anakin 19 and Padme 24 would have worked just as well for the issues that Lucas wanted the characters to have.

That said...how is this related to Rebels again? We don't want child prodigies in the show? I agree, but since it's about a "band of teens," I'm also not optimistic.