main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 1 Retrospective

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darthcaedus1138, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    There is so much good to say about it.

The characters are believeable.
    They interact well.
    So much more.

But let me instead focus on what should change.

1. More CIS victories. It's gotten to where now, if the Republic is in a tight situation, there is no reason to worry because we all know they'll pull out an amazing victory. I love the way that the show is trying to teach a moral, but it's a completely one-sided war.
    2. Less nicknames. I'm still tired of hearing "Sky-Guy" and "Snips", and dare I say it? "Artooy".
    3. I agree with the whole idea of stringing together the episodes to tell one story.

2. Quiff_vs_Sith

Quiff_vs_Sith Jedi Master

Jan 22, 2009

Sidious fighting! I kept hoping he would destroy the bountyhunter in the last episode but did nothing. (probably was in on it ofcourse)

[/quote]

Although we all know the truth about Palpatine, I think that would be a little too much. However, I would like to see a little more interaction between Palpatine/Sidious and Dooku. After all, Palpatine is, ultimately, the man pulling the strings on both sides, so it would be interesting and intriguing to eavesdrop on the occasional meeting between them.

On another note, I do agree that we need to see more Separatist victories in the second series. It's been too easy for the republic. Yes, one could argue that this is a galaxy wide conflict so, while the republic won the day on Ryloth they could be losing four other battles somewhere else in the galaxy. This is supposed to be a bitter, drawn-out war that actually threatens to overthrow the republic and I think we need to see this.

Like many others, I have really enjoyed how the series has humanised the clonetroopers. Some of the best episodes - including "Rookies", of course - have been those where the men in white have played a prominent role. It reminds me of reading the "Death Star" novel, which featured some of the thoughts and stories of ordinary stormtroopers on the Death Star. Although the novel was a little slow, these details did add something to the greater tapestry of the galaxy far, far away.

On a final note, does anybody think that the producers might - or could or should - flirt with some Lost-style flashback/flashforward sections in any future episodes?

3. The_Wise_Plo

The_Wise_Plo Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2009
    I really enjoyed the series and look forward to season 2.

Criticisms/what I'd like to see more:

1) Anakin is too goody. I almost can't buy TCW Anakin turning. Needs to be more unpredictable in mood.

2) Need more obscure episodes away from the PT characters. My favorite episodes were ones that got away from the norm: Rookies, Grievous's Lair, Ambush, Droid Duel, and Innocents of Ryloth. Those episodes grew characters and expanded the imagination of Star Wars.

3) More lesser known Jedi's like Kit, Plo, Alaya, etc. Several have yet to appear like Ki, Shaak, etc.

4) Need more behind the scenes plotting/manipulation with Dooku, Sideous, Ventress. Have entire stories that focus on just them and have the Republic characters as the extras.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    See, it's weird. Whilst I'd love for the show to adopt a darker tone, overall, I really don't want to see... well... any of Anakin's "dark" side, overmuch.

I think we had quite enough of that in AotC and RotS. If TCW goes dark, I want Anakin shining as a beacon of (false) hope, not correspondingly dark.

Though, if they wanted to darken Ahsoka. [face_devil]

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I thought Anakin was handled very well in Mystery of 1000 Moons.

Still a good guy but obviously really worried about his lover and his Padawan.

6. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Bump.

Just re-watched the Ryloth Trilogy for the first time and it is class.

The last 2 are 2 of the best episodes of the entire season, and I like Storm Over Ryloth quite a bit because we see Ahsoka in a different (i.e. better) light, and because of Mar Tuuk.

7. BandofClones

BandofClones Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2009
    I'll second that. He's my favorite character, actually. I think they did a good job of making him likeable without making him so gung-ho that he's annoying.

8. Sloppy

Sloppy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2009
    New clothes for characters (Ashoka really need some new one) they should change them for each season.
    Less of the child safe part, I want them to raise it from age 3+ (I think it is) to 11 (the same as the movies)it would give them more room for intrestin combat and story.
    I can't see the wrong doing if they behead a clone ore something.

It would give them the opportunity to for example let some species like the lurmens be massacre.
    Greivious should bee the one that does it. (he has done it before in the comic)

More details would i like, most worlds aren't detailed so immensity that it hurt.

I would like grievous too appear in the original clone wars armor in at least one episodes, would explain why he changes from damaged armor in clone wars too the rots armor in the movie.
    I fiend it possible to do because all they have to do is putt some new legs and arms and modify the body chassis.
    Oh yea let him fight with the cloak, might give him some luck. I have only seen him kill Jedi with it on (except for nadar)

9. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    That, especially number one on your list is exactly how I feel. But, then again they have another 3 or 4 seasons to show some of the turn.

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not reallt worried about much, becuase these guys are going to do a minimum of 100 episodes. If it does good, which I don't really see why not they'll do more. Plus the comix books and video games, and two novels left by Karen Miller. Yeah, we have alot of clone wars to go. We are going to see the entire rainbow before everything is aid and done. Like it or not EU minded fans

11. cheapLEY

cheapLEY Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2009
    1. I definitely agree. It should be much more tense in us not knowing whether the good guys will actually win. As it stands, we always, always, always know the Republic will prevail in the end.

2. Agreed, again. "Sky-guy" and "Artooy" are completely appalling to hear. "Snips" I actually don't mind so much.

3. More multi-episode story arcs would be awesome.

1. I completely disagree here. Although it's not really portrayed in the films too much, Anakin has another side. The feature films focus on his downfall into Darth Vader; is anger and fear. Before RotS, during the Clone Wars, there was the other aspect of him: the side that was known as a great Jedi Knight, a hero. A true Jedi, the likes of which Qui-Gon was. The RotS novel explores this a bit in the opening chapters. Clone Wars is showing this side of Anakin, and I rather like it.

2. I agree completely here. More unique/original situations are definitely welcome.

3. Not going to argue with that. Agreed.

4. I'm torn here. I would like to see some Sith themed episodes, as well. An episode where we se Palpatine as Sidious would be great. More than that, though, I would love to see some Palpatine-as-the-good-guy episodes. Perhaps an episode where he is somehow threatened and Mace Windu must protect him. A so called "happy ending" where the good guys win, and the good guy of the episode is him (i.e. We're happy to see him win.).

I rather liked Season 1. Some 'bleh' moments, but for the most part a very good show that fits well within the established universe.

12. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    It has been a while since I have seen the series, but I would like to comment a bit.

To be honest, after seeing the movie, I was not too excited for the series. I started off as a skeptic. But, as the first season continued, I definitely grew into it. By the last episode, I was definitely wanting to see more. The main thing I loved about the first season was the way they portrayed the clones.

A few problems/things I want to see in the future:

1.) I did not like Ahsoka. An apprentice like her, even though she is Anakins, should not be calling her master "Sky-guy". Anakin was even more respectful than that. I hope to see less of that.

2.) Not enough of Anakin/Obi-Wan interaction. I thought that the Clone Wars was suppose to be where Obi-Wan and Anakin developed an even deeper bond with one another. The opening chapter in RotS (IIRC) stated something about Anakin and Obi-Wan were heralded as "the duo", the couple sent in to do what others could not do because of their great chemistry. From what I remember, there wasn't much of that in the first season. I definitely want that in the next season.

3.) More clone interaction (like I already said)

4.) I was not a fan of the droid jokes. They were lame, IMO. I know, kids show, but a little overkill, if you ask me.

5.) More of those awesome assassin droid things! Those were awesome.

6.) From the way that the first season went, it seems like the war would end in a few months because, from what I remember, the Republic won almost everything. If that kept up, the CIS would be destroyed very quickly. So, I hope the CIS wins more often in Season 2.

7.) More Cad Bane!

8.) I definitely would like to see what The_Wise_Plo said: "Need more behind the scenes plotting/manipulation with Dooku, Sideous, Ventress. Have entire stories that focus on just them and have the Republic characters as the extras"

13. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    I've been lurking a while and I figure I'd chime in with one of those 'criticism' type comments, especially since I'm rewatching Season 1. =]

- Less Ahsoka. She's pretty much 'The Wesley' of the show and that's... not a good thing. I know they have to market it to kids (and Ahsoka appeals to young girls, which as a woman myself, I can understand) but less of the annoying Sue would be nice. Though if we have to see more of her, I'd like to see more moments like in 'Storm Over Ryloth' where she gets called out on her attitude and actions and actually gets punished for it. (Though, no more 'Magic Emo Tears' please. The scene where Yularen wakes up after Ahsoka's emofest made me want to throttle the TV)

- More of the bad guys winning. I'm very much for the good guys and all, but let's see Grievous win at least one battle, please?

- On that note, I'd love to see more Separatist-sympathetic planets/senators, though they'd have to be unaware of its true intentions, of course. Ono in 'Bombad Jedi' was a nice start, I'd love to see more in that vein, but hopefully without the predictable turnabout at the end.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the first season. Next to Flapjack, it's one of the few television shows I watch these days. And that's saying alot, considering I used to watch tons of cartoons just about, mmmm, 3-4 years ago. =[

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Really liked Lair Of Grievous. Especially with the rooms showing his ah, design evolution I guess. Made him a distinctly less tragic character than the older Grievous backstory, which makes sense to me-this guy was portrayed as not having any sympathetic traits in ROTS, and making his story a tragic one is like trying to feel bad for the Sarlaac. :p

Also really liked Rookies. I'm in the Army, so I suppose I'd like the clones by default, but that opening scene in the command room....yes, that's us when we're not doing anything.

The Ryloth Trilogy was...okay. Bit disappointed they didn't sink more money into it-I thought this was supposed to be the highlight of the season with the most of everything-but it was still a good enough story, I guess. Also, it scored points for realism with this shot:

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/Chrlsgain/star%20%20wars/vlcsnap-16403387.png]

That's what is called a 'tight wedge' in the Army-the spacing and orientation is designed to make the element less vulnerable to machine gun fire or grenade attacks, as well as provide good firepower in all directions.

Really loved Bane-he's quite a good villain, right down to his clothes. I wasn't expecting much out of this episode, but by the end, I was just waiting for the next season to start so Anakin can throttle the life out of him for daring to threaten his beloved. :p

All in all, a fairly lightweight show that's undeniably fun to watch. Also, it sums up 3PO's character in a single shot:

[image=http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/Chrlsgain/star%20%20wars/vlcsnap-12309139.png]

That's 3PO defined right there. "Wait for me!"

EDIT: Really like this series' take on the clones as a general rule. I thought the last few Republic Commando books got borderline ridiculous with the clones/slaves comparison (despite actually agreeing with it :p) and it was refreshing to see something different, and more in line with the old Republic Commando game. The one time this was brought up was pretty well-done, I thought-the traitor clone has his tantrum, Obi-Wan and Anakin share uncomfortable glances, and that's it.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    To keep:

- True Star Wars stories like the ones from: "Ambush", "Rookies", "Cloak of Darkness", "Lair of Grievous", "Trespass", "Hidden Enemy", "Innocents of Ryloth", "Liberty of Ryloth", and "Hostage Crisis".
    - Focus on stand-alone episodes and arcs.

To change:

- Ashoka's arrogant, and childish behaviour.
    - Droids jokes.
    - Less Amidala adventuring (She is a Senator, not a warrior or a Jedi to be seen in the middle of the conflict. As on "The Blue Shadow Virus" episode, why would she, a senator, go seach for the virus with a Senate representative? There are no special units on Naboo to do that?)

To see:

- Anakin's dark side behaviour.
    - ARC Troopers on special missions.
    - CIS victories.
    - More Darth Sidious.
    - An episode on Cloud City.

16. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I totally agree. The music may be okay or even above average for any other program but for Star Wars it's simply not good enough.

It lacks melody, with a few exceptions the already established cues and themes have been ignored, the music is monotone most of the time (as you mentioned, those pan flutes and similar ethno sounds are really annoying).

If only Shirley Walker was still alive. She and her team managed to make the haunting, epic and beautiful music for Batman: The Animated Series. They should tell Kevin Kiner to take a hint.
    Or perhaps get one of the other amazing composers that worked on Batman: The Animated Series.

Anyway, I thought Season 1 was a good start. There is still lots of room for improvement.
    The stories feel a little too simple at times, so do the characters.
    It was so obvious Arguyus would be a traitor from the second you were introduced to him.
    Anakin gives Padmé his Lightsaber as a proof that he loves her only to have a reason for having him without it for the rest of the episode. Not very original.
    And the dialogue is without any sort of substance a lot of the time. Especially the banter between characters.

To me, the greatest episodes of Season 1 were the following:

1# Trespass (perfect mood and an "enemy" who stood for his principles)
    2# Jedi Crash (great action, Anakin being in actual danger, a race who refuses to be involved in the war)

Other great ones:

Rookies
    Defenders of Piece
    Hostage Crisis
    The Ryloth Trilogy

I'm very mixed about the humor in this series. Some of it I find hilarious, some simply pointless. The Battle Droids were so cool in TPM and AOTC, now they're just there for comedic purpose, save for the beginning of "The Hidden Enemy", where they were actually doing what they're supposed to.

But all in all, it's still probably the finest animated show of this decade. It manages to capture the Star Wars feel and wrap it in it's own beautiful stylization. The visuals are incredible, as are a lot of the ideas. I know the team is just getting started and the episodes will be getting a lot better as you can clearly see they're on the right track.
    I know I this post sounds a little harsh, but I am really impressed with what we got so far, save for some of the music. I'm really looking forward to Season 2.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    My complaints for season 1 was they dumbed down the force powers nd made too many stupid cartoony droid remarks that sometimes detracted from what they were trying to convey. Like Gilroy said, GL wanted those quirky moments in there. Guess thats why Gilroy ain't coming back. We need more serious epsiodes showing the different aspects of the clone and droids military. Don't put Dooku and Anakin in another fight, get together and stuff like that.It makes the movie scene really dumb and retarded.

With force powers I don't want anything too ridiculous, but not like that episode where Anakin, Obi and Dooku could not kick the crap out all of them. That was bad and my low point of the series. I acepted the Jar Jar episode more than that one.

More development between asohka and anakin. maybe a twinge of affection, a small pop kiss. okay maybe not.

More action and include the waponary arrayed in the clone wars, not just the AT-TE that wasn't the only thing used.

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Is Henry Gilroy gone completely? I know he left the "Decoded" project, but I didn't realize he's no longer on the show at all. :(

19. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    They are portraying how force-users were in the movies, they are not trying to make the Jedi uber fighters like the EU and Gennedy series did. I think the TCW overall had a great starting point, for the most part they played it safe and kept the storys simple. I believe that with the evidence of Season two, the storylines will become more complicated and the overall tone will get darker.

20. Mekairinek

Jul 7, 2009
    Same here. I'm a huge fan of Grievous, but I never could buy that whole 'tragic' background of his in the EU. Suffice to say, I rubbed my hands together and cackled evilly when Matt Wood steamrolled over that in an interview once. I think I felt a disturbance in the force, though... like the sound of a thousand fangirls crying out and then were suddenly silenced*. Awesome.

And that episode too is one of my favorites. I'm not sure why exactly, but everything about it just makes for an enjoyable rewatch time and again.

* Yes, I know I butchered the quote. I've been battling hay fever for the last couple days and I'm running on total 4 hours of sleep and after a few long days at work.

21. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    I haven't found anything that suggests that he's left the entire show. I wouldn't worry too much.

Still, that would would suck if he didn't return.

22. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    I think he said in theforcecast that he is no longer head writer for season 2, but he said there are a few episodes where he was, but these are holdovers from season 1.

23. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I also remember hearing on the forcecast that he is not the head writer for season 2.

...which is strange, because all of the pre-season one interviews kind of left me with the impression that he was still actively working on the show. (And at that time, they would have been working on season 2 and beginning scripting for season 3.)

Anyway, the word was that they hired more live-action "1-hour drama" TV writers for season 2. (Like Drew Z Greenberg, who I believe used to write for Buffy The Vampire Slayer.) And are relying less on "animation" writers.

I love Henry Gilroy (and am especially grateful for his interaction with the fan community) but I think this move could pay off for the show. The season 2 episodes that have aired so far seem to have a bit more of a serious tone to them than the season 1 episodes. Just look at Blue Shadow Virus part 1 versus Mystery of 1000 Moons. 1000 Moons just seemed more intense and emotional to me.

24. Mekairinek

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't think they should get rid of "animation" writers completely. I know due to scheduling conflicts, Paul Dini won't be writing any S2 episodes (so I heard, anyways, though I may be wrong. Either way, it's a shame, since he actually wrote a tolerable Ahsoka. Still hate her, though) and he's a darn good "animation" writer.

25. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I could have sworn I heard that Paul Dini wrote two episodes. So far we've only seen one of them. Perhaps one of the season-one holdovers is his? (Then again, I could be wrong and maybe he only wrote the one.)

Also, I have no idea if they got rid of animation writers completely...I'm just going by what Steve Melching and Henry Gilroy hinted at in one of the forcecasts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.