main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**OFFICIAL Starfest Meeting Thread** -- April 20th

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Grimby , Apr 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Event: StarFest (April Meeting 2)
    Location: Holiday Inn DIA I-70 & Chambers (Lobby Lounge Area)
    Date: Saturday April 20
    Time: 2:00 PM
    Activity: Meeting and flyer giveaway
    StarFest website
    -------------------------------------------

ok, so who's going to this? what time are you guys showing up and who's sticking around for the whole day?

who would be nice enough to organize a carpool and come pick me up?!!!!

2. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Definitely not going to be there this time. Watching a buddy play football at 2 on saturday and then spending time with the girlfriend.

3. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    what part of town do you live in I got a lot going on that day but if its on my way I might be able to pick you up.

4. teneniel_djo

teneniel_djo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    sigh. i won't be there either. i took my car to brakes plus a few weeks ago and ended up spending $700 on new brakes. so three weeks later, i'm hearing this grinding noise in the rear of the car whenever i brake. LAME. so i'll be taking it up to them to get it fixed on saturday. if i can make it, i'd love to, but i don't think it's going to work....again. sorry i keep ditching.

5. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    well if you dont get it fixed to your liking I wouldnt mind looking at it for you.

6. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Those guys are walkin' rip-off artists, darlin'....watch 'em like a hawk and tell them you want all your old parts and you want to see what they are talkin' about(even if you don't know what yur lookin' at)!!!!

7. teneniel_djo

Dec 6, 2000
    i've heard bad things about just brakes, but not brakes plus. i guess it's too late now....i already forked over the $700.

edit....chunk sent me a pm that tom martino did a story on brakes plus and i got a little worried. :) (but thanks for the info, chunk.....i really appreciate the fact that you guys are looking out for me). so i looked it up on tom martino's site and found this...

BRAKES PLUS IS OUR KIND OF BUSINESS
    10/10/01

Congratulations to Referral List member "Brakes Plus" ... they know the meaning of customer service.

Over the past year they have monitored their complaints compared to total jobs ... The results: 99.83% in 29 stores! That is fantastic.

The figures are based on 225 complaints after servicing 133,562 cars ... and keep in mind not all of those complaints were justified ... and where they made a mistake ... they CORRECTED it!

I have alway said no one is perfect ... but Brakes Plus may prove me wrong.

so i feel a lot better. :)

i'll be buying a new car within the next few weeks, so i won't be having any old car problems anymore (my car sucks). anyone heard anything about automotive avenues? :D

8. Clockwork

Clockwork Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2002
    I will definitely be at Starfest the whole weekend (I am running the British Science Fiction video room). I plan on at least stopping by the meeting to say hello to everyone.

9. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    TD - Did you see the article about Tom Martino's website? Apparently all you have to do to get on that site is pay them a significant amount of money.

Your best bet, anytime you want to get your car fixed is to go to an established, & reputable garage. These specialized retail repair shops are infamously over priced.

For example: We had the complete brake system repaired/replaced, including new calipers for a 94 Bonnevile w/ anti-lock brakes and it only cost $500 at a full service garage. 6 months later, one of the calipers started grabbing & they fixed it for free, including new pads for both front wheels.

Those deals they "offer" almost never get done for that price. And I'm sorry to say, if you're a female they never get done for that price.

Good luck and make sure you do what Kit said. You want to see everything, don't let them get away with faulty repair jobs. As an added tip, take a grease pencil or something & mark each brake, so when they hand you back "your" stuff, you can be sure.

10. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I just noticed what time the meeting is, so unless class gets out way early (which it never does), I won't be able to make it.

Are we still on for the after Con activities?

11. teneniel_djo

Dec 6, 2000
    i didn't really base my decision on tom martino's site (i don't really have a very high opinion of him). i've actually had a lot of friends who have gone to brakes plus and gotten very good service.

really, it's all after the fact. i already paid to have everything replaced as far as the brake system goes so i can't go back and get my money. i have warranties on all of the parts they fixed so i'm execting them to fix everything for free. if they do not, then i will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

12. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    IS ANYONE GOING TO STARFEST FRIDAY NIGHT?

13. Jedi_Guy16

Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm gonna try and be at the meeting. If not, maybe I'll see you guys at starfest on saturday.

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    i live off of 112th and sheridan

15. Lewis_Black

Lewis_Black Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 6, 2002
    Grimby, I can probably swing by and get you on my way from Boulder. You shouldn't be too far out of the way. Getting back would be trickier since I'm not sticking around for the Con.

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    cool! i live right off the boulder turnpike so it should only be a few minutes out of your way.

17. Lewis_Black

Lewis_Black Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 6, 2002
    Nevermind. I just read who was going to be at StarFest. Just tell me a time and I'll be there. I may have to leave around six or so.

Oh. And how much are tickets?

18. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    All the info is off of that Starland link grimby put in the first post.

Anyone who doesn't know (arrowheadpodracer) Jedi_Dragon and I will both be at StarFest all weekend, including Friday night.

19. Miccu_Resea

Miccu_Resea Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Sorry, i will join the list of the people who wont be going :D....

But tell us everything.

20. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Who's picking up the flyers from me?

I've got 200 1/4 sheet's for the Smuggler's Alliance to hand out next week & around 500 (I lost track of the count) for StarFest.

I'll be incommunicado until tomorrow morning, so hopefully I hear back from somebody fast.

-Jennifer

21. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    not sure if ill make it to the con but we're gonna be there after for sure .

how much to get in ? will it really be worth it ?

22. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    grimby , what time are you going ? and where abouts do you live ?

23. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    EVERYONE GOING TO THE STARFEST MEETING PLEASE READ

For the meeting, let's just meet in the lobby lounge. We can just kick out those slightly more geeky than us.

There are 3 entrances to the Holiday Inn, 2 are to the convention area, if you park and go in either of those, just head to the right down the really looooooooooooooooooong hallway, all the way until you hit the hotel lobby.
    If you enter by the hotel lobby, the lounge area is directly across from the hotel's front desk.

I'll try to make sure i'm there at 2:00, I can't guarantee any earlier, I still don't know my security shifts. Hopefully either myself or Cory (Jedi_Dragon) can be there.
    If we only get a few people we can go to my room, i'll still contact someone with my room number tomorrow after I get it so they can let ya'll know to try there.

I'm not going to be able to provide anything snacks or drinks related, so if someone wants to do that, that would be excellent.

For those who haven't met me, i'll be the guy with the long hair and a beard wearing a red staff t-shirt. Cory will also probably be in a red staff t-shirt, he just won't look as cool in it. :p

24. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    cool beans whats the word on the flyers?

25. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    We are sooooooooooooooooo golden for flyers.

Jen printed over 500 on white today, if someone can pick them up from her house, then we can have those for StarFest.

If not, I printed 600 today on 5 different colored papers and we definitely will have those at the con, they will go on the flyer table before the con even opens.

I think 1100 will cover us for awhile!!!!

The new domain name will be ready!!!!!!
    or i'll die trying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.