main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official SW Shop - New Shopping Portal Now Open

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by MandalorianDuchess, Jul 14, 2011.

1. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I was just taking a quick look at the official store (shop.starwars.com) and was surprised that they're "closing the virtual doors" on Monday, July 18th.

This is probably not a good sign for the fans.... [face_worried]

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like it - the official notice is here. However it says they are working on new ways to showcase SW merchandise and will have news on that in the coming months.

I can't say I'm surprised - they've already shut the forums there. I'd imagine they'd have something new well in place for Christmas though.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, that sucks. Now where am I to get a Space Slug Oven Mitt? As for shirts akin to my awesome Greedo shirt, guess I'll either need to check Junk Food's site for more or design my own...

They'd better have something new up soon, else it'll just further cement the fact that the OS simply doesn't give a crap about the fans anymore. Sellouts.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I never used SW Shop much - their overseas shipping rates were prohibitive. Some of the things I priced the shipping was more than the item.

5. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    Yeah, their shipping rates were horrible even living right here in California.

And their customer service was less than the fans deserved.

Still will be interesting to see what their "new ways" will consist of.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Wow that sucks. I ordered stuff from there earlier in the summer and was happy w/ what I got. I've bought stuff on and off there over the years, they always had strange and odd goodies that I got there that weren't available elsewhere. :(

7. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    This is somewhat disheartening. The selection wasn't AWESOME, but they did have a lot of stuff in one place so it was easy to find. I ordered my Celebration V stuff from there (even though I didn't go). I love my Hoth beer mug and Orange Death Star shirt.

8. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Maybe they'll partner with another site(s) to offer products?

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Zazzle.com offers a large selection of SW shirts, so it's a possibility that they may outsource that part through them. At one point, Zazzle was part of StarWarsShop.com.

Hopefully we'll see something regarding their next move some time prior to the holiday shopping season. To miss out on that would be very unwise. This move may prove harmful to the fiscal year.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, I just heard the news today. I wanted to get a Darth Vader apron and I've been looking for some iPhone 4 cases and I don't like the options on Amazon. Oh well. Hopefully they bring something back and not charge an arm and a leg for their stuff.

11. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Aww thats a shame, I liked browsing through it.
    True that the overseas shipping was terribly expensive, but I did get a Darth Vader light-up chestbox shirt CV exclusive when it was on sale from them. Guess it's just as well I got it when I did.

EDIT: Also a little annoyed that this is the first I've heard about this.
    They could have at least emailed everyone with accounts.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You should check Collecting more often - this thread was started Jul 14! :p

13. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    The only thing I bought from SW shop was the DVD of the TV special "Star Wars Tech". Now I realize that I didn't even need to, since it's going to be on the Blu-Ray set.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Upping this with the news that SW.com has opened their new shopping portal just in time for Christmas shopping. You can see the full story here on TFN. And you can see the new portal here.