main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series *Official* TCW online comics thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The_Attackinator, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Attackinator

The_Attackinator Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    General discussion of the comics as they are relased, and how they pertain to the series. The comic for Dooku Captured is now up. Looks like Anakin's getting captured tonight too! [face_dancing]

2. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Nah, it's just a setup (which most people know). But it was a great comic!

As are all the others!

3. The_Attackinator

Dec 31, 2008
    I know that; I was just pointing out that more than the title character is getting 'captured' tonight. ;)

4. The_Attackinator

Dec 31, 2008
    Am I the only one disappointed that the Dooku Captured comic directly contradicts the episode it precedes? In the comic, Anakin is shown to have his lightsaber with him while onboard Dooku's flagship, but thais cannot be accurate, as evidenced by a couple lines exchanged during the episode (though I can't remember exactly what they are), as well as this snippet from the episode guide:

This is the first time I've noticed any real contradiction between comic and episode, and we can only hope it stays to a bare minumum.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The lightsaber in the comic was a spare; the comic showed it being destroyed, and we know Anakin's usual saber survived until the OT. So in this case there was no contradiction.

6. The_Attackinator

Dec 31, 2008
    It may have been a spare, but even so, Anakin was therefore still armed. And the episode guide makes it clear he had supposedly come unarmed. So I still see a contradiction.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So it's a contradiction between the comic and the episode guide, as opposed to a contradiction between the comic and the episode itself.

8. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    No, it's a contradiction with the episode too. In the show Anakin complains that he could have done something about Dooku if he had had a weapon, to which Obi replies that he had to arrive unarmed so his capture would look convincing.

It a very stupid contradiction, and for me this whole "Anakin capture" plot is chock full of holes and terribly mishandled.

9. The_Attackinator

Dec 31, 2008
    I agree. Sounds like the people who make the episodes and the people who make the comics need to work more closely together to keep this kind of stufff from happening.

10. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I have to wonder what has been going on with the online comic. Twice in a row now it has been used to portray a major, key event, vital for the following episode and both times it contained glaring contradictions with the TV show. First of all, the webcomic should NEVER be used to portray key major events for an episode, because most of the audience doesn't read them. The function of the webcomic should be, as it was in the beginning, to expand upon minor points, and give us more in depth knowledge on certain aspects of the following show. Something cool, but not essential to the flow of events in the episode. Second, with the webcomics being produced well after the production of the episodes, how can they fall into such contradictions?

Just recapping the purpose of the webcomics so far:

Prelude: Gives a glimpse of Skytop Station and sets up the meeting in Rugosa.
    Shakedown: Shows the Malevolence's attack on Ares Nune's fleet and Plo Koon's assignment to chase it.
    Procedure: Shows how Anakin gets hold of the newly-made Y-Wings.
    Agenda: Sets up Padme's relation with the pirate crisis on Rodia, introduces Argyus and the false meeting with the Banking Clan representative.
    Mouse Hunt: Shows Fox and Cody hunting a mouse droid in some clone outpost. (no relevance to the episode)
    The Fall of Falleen: Shows Falleen being captured by the Separatists (mentioned in passing on the episode)
    Discount: Shows Gha Nachkt selling a spy droid to Argente. (no relevance to any episode yet)
    Departure: Shows 3PO and Jar Jar letting the Naboo Skiff be stolen, replacing it with the Yacht.
    Transfer: Explains why Anakin sent Ahsoka to guard Gunray's transfer. (Inconsistency: Shows Padmé interacting with the Senate Commandos, in the episode it's Luminara and Ahsoka who meet the Commandos)
    Dreams of General Grievous: Depicts some of Grievous' memories.
    Bait: Shows Anakin allowing himself to be captured and Obi-Wan leaving to rescue him. (Inconsistency: Anakin has a saber when he's captured, in the episode he says he was unarmed)
    Switch: Shows Pilf's repeated attempts to knock the Jedi out. (Inconsistency: The Jedi are eventually drugged by poison in the air, in the episode they say they were drugged by their drinks)

11. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    Good catch there.

I don't usually notice that stuff because I kind of treat the comics as bonus stuff and not really an inherent part of the storyline.

It's got some interesting art at times though, a point which I might follow up on soon.

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, I guess you really just have to assume that the webcomic writers are getting early treatments of the episode plots and are trying to find some quick plotline they can use to lead into the episode.

Judging by what Kevin Rubio (and Henry & Dave) said, they're always going through script revisions, and they just might not have time to contact the webcomic guys.

13. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yes, it seems they surely have a weird gap in the production pipeline, and the info is not flowing in all the directions it sould. The whole spiked drink mess is a very clear sign of these. It would seem the people producing The Gungan General thought that Dooku Captured ended with the Jedi drinking the spiked brew. And then the people on the webcomic knew that the Jedi switched their drinks in Dooku Captured, but didn't know that the Gungan General people thought the Jedi had drunk the spiked brew. Heck, I don't even know what I know anymore....

14. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    What I've really liked about the comic so far was how it introduced Argyus. It really came as a surprise to me that he was working for the seps (better safe than sorry ^^), partially because I had seen him before, making his appearence less sudden and more natural. In that way the comic helped but was still not a crucial part to the story, I wish they would have done the same thing with Nahdar Vebb.

The two latest really confused me though, first one did not fit together with the episode and I imagine people who didn't read were equally confused at "Anakin has been captured". The second one I was personally okay with, but I can't help but wonder what people who didn't read it thought since the last thing the previous episode showed was Anakin and Obi-Wan not getting drugged.

Really excited over the sep double crossing though, I wonder why he would want to spy on Wat Tambor :confused:

again, in case someone hasn't read the one with the droid.

15. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I agree with you. The biggest strength of the webcomc is setting things up in advance so we are more at ease and have fewer questions when the episodes come up. Its job should be to fill in little details, add some nuances that they don't have time to deal with in the show.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually would prefer the webcomics are more important to the episode- being used as, essentially, a visualized rendition of the opening narration and depicting a major event that sets up the episode, like Anakin's capture, etc. However, I would obviously prefer that they don't contradict, either.

It make sthe webcomics sort of TCW's version of Labyrinth of Evil or the Micro-Series.

That said, i don't mind the side-story things like Falleen, as it gives some other characters not being featured that week in the show some "screen time".

This isn't technically an inconsitency- the Jedi just assume it was their drinks (and the opening narration montage is always going to use recycled footage), they don't know the actual cause. In this case, the webcomic shows us how it actually happened despite the Jedi switching drinks. In a way, it really explains the inconsistency between the two episodes more than anything else.

I mean, seriously, are we going to believe Obi-Wan can't hold his liquor? The mans been at more bars in the GFFA than anyone else onscreen. ;)

17. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    [image=http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/212/druggedjw2.jpg]
    Are those the faces of two people who don't know they are being poisoned through the air and are assuming it's their drinks?

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Who knows what they remember? When they look up, they could already be half-unconcious for all we know. And most the "what knocked us out" dialogue is when they first come to and are a bit woozy.

I'm not saying it's perfectly consistant- just saying it's not necessarily a contradiction, given the limitations of the opening montage.

19. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Bump.

20. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    What... no comic today? Man, it was so nice when we would get the comic on Wednesday... Plenty of time to dissect it and keep us busy til Friday...

21. goraq

May 15, 2008
    They made a habit of releasing comics late.:mad:

22. goraq

May 15, 2008
    Its up.

http://www.starwars.com/clonewars/comic/

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Mere words cannot describe how phenomenally ecstatic I am to see Separatist Council members again.:D

Especially Tambor vs Argente. They make such great quasi-enemies.

24. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Isn't it weird that the link to the new webcomic is STILL not being advertised on the Official Site? Those guys are dropping the ball lately...

25. goraq

May 15, 2008
    Is there a webcomic for the third ep. of the trilogy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.