main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* TCW televised series Reviews Thread (highlighted spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To clarify- these reviews are for an epiosde from the series, not the pilot film.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Not bad for an old fossil, huh? ;)

3. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Looks like we're finally getting a few negative reviews--although they seem to be from people who generally don't like Star Wars anyway.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080711.WBwbladiary20080711155151/WBStory/WBwbladiary

This one is unbelievable. He tries to paint the critical reaction as unanimously negative. "critics started shuffling in their seats", "laughing at inappropriate moments", people had "fled the room". Sheesh.

I almost want to leave a comment on that blog to tell him how silly it is that he's trying to justify his own negative opinion by making up stuff...but why waste my time? He'll just brush me off as a nerdy Star Wars fan who is upset because of a negative review. Honestly though, I don't care if his opinion is that the show was bad. I just think this review is super-lame, in light of how almost every other review says it was great and that the audience was receptive. Why would somebody just make up stuff like this?

4. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Someone already left a comment on the blog to that effect. The guy clearly paid no attention to the presentation at all as evidenced by statements like this:

"Twenty minutes later, critics were laughing at inappropriate moments, while Imperial Storm Troopers blasted each other on the giant screens..."

Storm Troopers? Blasting each other???

Yancy

5. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Yeah, one negative reviewer complained about Yoda's backward speak. If you're still not used to that after all these years than SW is not for you!

6. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    It's clear that guy knows nothing about Star Wars.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    A review of the first 2 episodes! (spoilers in black highlight)

READ IN FULL HERE

Title: Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Series Premiere Episodes: ?Rising Malevolence? & ?Ambush?

Over three years in the making, Lucasfilm Animation?s first weekly television series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, reunites Star Wars fans with classic heroes from the prequel trilogy such as Anakin Skywalker (voiced by Matt Lanter), Obi-Wan Kenobi (James Arnold Taylor) and Yoda with the villains of The Clone Wars such as Count Dooku AKA Darth Tyranus (Corey Burton) and his apprentice Asajj Ventress (Nika Futterman), who was introduced in the previous award winning animated microseries Star Wars: Clone Wars.

We also get to know new characters like Anakin?s Padawan Ahsoka Tano (Ashley Eckstein) and the series does much to humanize characters we only saw fleeting glimpses of such as the various Clone Troopers themselves, who are all voiced by Dee Bradley Baker. Anthony Daniels is back again to reliably supply the voice of C3PO and Matthew Wood reprises his role as the voice of General Grievous, but neither Christopher Lee nor Samuel L. Jackson return to provide the voices for their animated counterparts, which they did do for the feature film that opened this past August.

Fortunately the talent behind their voices for the TV series do a very good job at making the characters their own and the series moves so quickly at times that I doubt anyone will notice outside of hardcore fans.

While the animation style remains unchanged between the feature film and television series, the TV series somehow looks more polished and the serialized storylines are more interesting and entertaining than what was seen in the feature film, but what the series does that the animated movie never really had a chance to focus on was to bring Lucas? heart into the story.

The reason why Star Wars resonates generation after generation is because of the humanity of the characters and the non-denominational spirituality inherent throughout the two trilogies. While not everyone is force sensitive enough to be a Jedi Knight, that does not hinder our ability to better ourselves through it with the Jedi serving as inspiration for the Clones in both episodes. Quite honestly I think in some ways the new TV series comes closest to carrying the same spirit the classic trilogy had and it also makes the events most of us are familiar with from Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith all the more poignant because now not only are we becoming more aware about some of the background Jedi characters from the films, but I have to state I see the tragedy of it all even hitting the Clone Troopers, who will lose what humanity they gain from the experience once Order 66 is given.

In short, the TV series in my opinion is among the best Star Wars I have seen outside of the feature films and it is much better than the animated feature. In fact there should be no worries for anyone who missed the feature film because in my opinion one does not necessarily have to be all that familiar with Star Wars in general to enjoy the show, which is suitable for adults too. I guess the only thing I cannot shake from my mind is a direct comparison between this and Paul Verhoeven?s 1990s CGI television series Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles though The Clone Wars offers storytelling potential the animated Starship Troopers TV series could not in that since the opposing sides are anthropomorphic in one way or another, it is easier to portray the opposing point of view in episodes and give viewers more backstory into the characters of Asajj Ventress, Count Dooku, General Grievous and even the battle droids.

If we are going to get episodes that show the plight of the Clone Troopers, why not do an episode from the point of view of an ordinary Battle Droid? In Star Wars sometimes the droids are more human than the humans so perhaps this is not

8. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Two new reviews of the first two episodes, (Beware of Spoilers!)

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=26401

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=26399

9. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Two pretty positive reviews there. Affirms my high expectations of this series. I really think its going to be fantastic, much better than the dissapointing film.

10. VladTheImpaler

Apr 13, 2000
    Cool. Toonzone bashed the theatrical CW movie pretty heavily, as I recall. Not sure if it was the same reviewer or not, but it's good to see them change their tune for the TV premiere.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    ls a devastating Separatist mystery weapon terrorizing the Republic Starfleet. An obvious pre-cursor to the super laser on The Death Star, the super weapon leaves a fleet of Jedi cruisers helpless and then to be certain there are no survivors, Hunters are sent out to kill any life forms in escape pods helplessly floating the debris field. Can Anakin and Ahsoka race to save Jedi Master Plo Koon and his Clone Troopers in time?

I really enjoyed the segment from this episode shown during the preview show last week. The suspense was nicely modulated and I thought the dialogue was definitely at a higher level than the CW movie.

12. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Why does everyone here think that the PT got all bad reviews??? There were plenty of good reviews for TPM and AOTC as well as the bad and most of the time the only ones that were negative were the ones that compared TPM and AOTC to the OT.

ROTS got better reviews than most of the OT! Thats right i said it! before anyone says anything i want to remind you about the TV spot thatS RIGHT ON THE ROTS DVD named "review". In it it clearly says...

Ebert & Roper give the movie "Two thumbs up".

The Boston globe said it was "THE most emotional powerful of all 6!"

The Chicago tribune said in all caps, "EPISODE 3 DELIVERS!"

The new york times actually said that its "BETTER than the original star wars!"

and thats from some of the biggest, most respected reviewers in America! yet most people here only give credit to the last half of the movie, if that. That just gos to show you how unfairly high fan expectations are. I find it to be very funny that most big time critics give credit to the PT but its the fans that are stubborn to the point where they actually made it a Cliche to make fun of star wars. The fact is that the only reason the PT got such a bad rap is becouse of a bunch of 30 something year old fanboys saying that George Lucas raped there childhood after TPM came out and then it snowballed from there.

The "perception" of the PT is that its bad but the truth is that while its not as good as the OT they are still very good, very entertaining movies that complement the OT and make it an actual Saga.

I believe that if all the movies were released AGAIN in theaters but without star wars fans knowing it (some how) the PT would be liked a LOT more than the first time around and would bring in millions and millions of new fans with much more positive attitudes.

13. VladTheImpaler

Apr 13, 2000
    I don't see the reason for this argument. Fair or not, the PT generally gets criticized more than the OT.

14. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    And sorry to go further off topic but yes it gets criticised, but its always certain outlets and minorities who criticise it. Remember all three films of the PT got way more favourable reviews than negative ones. Its just the negative guys keep chirping on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.