main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Teaser Poster

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ewoksimon, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Every person I've shown the poster to, I've had to explain who is on the right. Most people mistake it for Rey.

I find this depressing, too.

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I presume the way they have portrayed Luke's head bigger than Kylo's is some sort of psychological trick to unsettle the viewer?

3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Okey... my two cents:

My first impression when I saw the poster: - "Rey is not a Skywalker - she is ending the Skywalker dynasty and is starting her own Force business" .. (if you want to get terribly metaphysical, you could substitute Disney for Rey and Lucas for well .. Luke and yeah - the new trilogy is about Lucas ending and Disney starting something new).

I saw it amongst fans so everyone knew who was on the right - the person next to me commented about how much they made him look like .. Anakin.

nightangel likes this.
  4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    very spot on and I saw the same reaction in other fans eyes. it was a little giving up.

5. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    ^ Well .. this is me writing as someone who very much hoped that Rey would be a Skywalker but having her in Luke's classic pose from the OT poster - a very deliberate choice of course, the is a new hope and the two up top - the old order.

nightangel likes this.
  6. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
  7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'll admit I thought it was Rey for a full 24 hours. Still love the poster. Mebbe they should have done it showing the side of his face with the scar?

8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Really?! Wow.

Artoo-Dion and oncafar like this.
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I still see nothing but 2 faces and a girl on a movie announcement[face_dunno]

Dark Horse likes this.
  10. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    oncafar and Gigoran Monk like this.
  11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Letting go can be a good thing.

12. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    When I first saw the poster, the first thing I saw was the blue to the red light saber, its obvious Rey is having her She Ra moment so there was zero confusion who the other two were. Daisy's eyes, nose and mouth look nothing like Driver's.

13. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    There are quite a few fans who thought Kylo was Anakin but I'm sure that the poster makers went for that connection.

14. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Just for comparison
    - Luke doin' the Rey one (+ California dreamboy muscles never being shown on screen)
    - An oversized Vader head that is so big that even a moon is orbiting it
    - Leia practicing contorted movements like she is hoping to get a role in a possible Barbarella spin off
    - 2 robots and way too many X-Wings
    - A lot of sand

And now please give me a clue on what will happen in the film.

I think we see something in the TLJ poster that isn't there.
    What is in fact is there: Luke, Kylo and Rey and a LS. The main characters for Ep8 put together in a fancy way.

HostofJakku likes this.
  15. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    ANH poster is beautifully pulpy, and as explained before, a throwback at Frazetta's iconic Princess of Mars - buff sword-wielding hero, sexy princess, a planet above, a creature (in ANH case droids):

[​IMG]

TLJ poster is a throwback at ANH one but with pulpy elements removed and characters rearranged in such a way that it blurs the line between heroes and villains. There's no clear color code divide, for example, that one might expect, cause everyone is in red. The saber light goes from blue to red, so colors are integrated rather than divided. Kylo, who's the antagonist, is smaller than Luke on the image, so you don't get the threatening, clear-cut baddie of the piece feel like from Vader in ANH poster. In fact, if someone didn't watch TFA and knew nothing about it, likely wouldn't figure out what characters designated roles were, save that Rey was obviously the hero due to classic hero pose.

So I would say that ANH poster and TLJ aren't showing the same things, but we know from the teaser that TLJ poster is very likely showing:

_____Light_______Darkness__

[​IMG]

________The Balance_______

Chewies_bandolier and oncafar like this.
  16. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Lukes head is too big to bring balance to Kylo small head IMO

17. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    If their heads were the same size, we'd get that horrid split face effect. Also, as some pointed out on previous pages, this arrangement creates Yin/Yang effect which is fitting with the Balance between Light/Dark theme:

[​IMG]

18. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    You can put anything on there

Cut out the head of Slot and he will fit as well
    [​IMG]

Jedi Daniel and Fat midichlorian like this.
  19. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    in the poster everyone is on the red side, so everyone is dark? [face_dunno]

21. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    *LOL* I did not know that this was already used on twitter.

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think we should panic. Everyone is going to turn evil or die, whilst also throwing themselves under a bus in a symbolic attempt to purge SW of every last remnant of the Lucas era because that's how Kathy Kennedy, that Han fan-boy JJ and RJ roll.

23. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    it was a serious question and colors always mean something in SW. No need to provoke on a serious meant question. :rolleyes:

24. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    nightangel Someone asked Rian if red could mean blood as in bloodline and Rian said they could go with that interpretation if they wanted. It isn't confirmation or anything, but I think it's encouraging for you because it shows that there are more interpretations than dark/evil. And bloodline is certainly a plausible one cause 2 characters are confirmed bloodline. Moreover, since the balance is the endgame or something so much bigger than even that, no reason to fear staying in the dark. Whatever happens will be So.Much.Bigger. :)

nightangel likes this.
  25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    The response was to the general trend that began several posts above. If we look at the red I would suggest blood line and conflict. The two faces of light and dark appear to be out of alignment and it seems that Rey must balance them.

CEB and oncafar like this.