Clone Wars Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>Is that really true that more people read the novels than read the comics? If it is, I'm suprised. It seems like a much more major investment of time and energy to me to read a novel than a comic, so I would have thought it would be by necessity a smaller number of people willing to do so. <<

I believe it is true- books tend to have a broader appeal than comic books, though I'm sure certain graphic novels have outsold some of the novels.
  2. Mace_Won Jedi Knight

star 1
    I can't wait to see the first full-motion preview of this new series! CIV, perhaps?[face_praying]
  3. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    In any case, I have all the clone war novels, and for me it didn't jive too good. My biggest dissapointment stemmed from the lack of usage of clone war material. It was based too much on jedi philosophy and not on the war, its equipment and the like. The only exceptions were the Shatterpoint and LOE novels. Those were good. The rest can blow over. The clone war comic books were excellent and it is unfortunate that a lot of people don't read comic books, becuase I felt that they really had the pulse of the clone wars. The clone wars cartoon series was pretty good, despite the hippy dippy format that GL and company gave Genndy. My hat goes off to Genndy becuase he did with the animation what Nelvana could not do with Droids and the Ewoks cartoon series. That was have very high ratings in the cartoon network, win awards (Emmy and Annie), and be a fan favorite. Also, it was the success of that cartoon series that got GL to continue to do more. It was not like GL had the idea already to do 30 minute cartoons. Until futher notice, the animation is not placed in any other era of star wars, except the clone wars. On the issue of over the top, well, after looking a the clone war cartoon series, I can understand some of it becuase it fits the format good, and in a way, a jedi should be able to do super leaps, and the like. Heck, though I am not going to go over every incident of super duper stuff, the comic books and the novels have been replete with over the top stuff. Including video games as of late. The Force Harvester and the Repear from the Clone Wars video game are canon and are covered in the Boba Fett book, and NEC, and it is in the overall time line of clone war campaigns. So for me, I thought that and the super duper force storm, the magic tree (Dark Empire 2), were very outrageuos. I hope that this new series is full of chock full of action: Fleet action, starfighter action, massive ground campaigns, and some jedi action (not a lot). This story should be about war, and though I want characterizations in them, I don't want the small stuff that has been plaguing star wars as of late. Just my two cents.
  4. Jamiebacca Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think the cameras will have even begun to have "rolled" by then.

(and by 'rolled' I mean 'captured digitally', if ya know what I mean)
  5. DSucrose Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    http://www.theforce.net/swtv/story/3D_Star_Wars_Cartoon_News_103405.asp

One episode is completely finished. Another is almost complete.
  6. Jamiebacca Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay... by 'full motion' I incorrectly assumed that you meant 'live action', as in the 2009 series.
  7. Lavaman Jedi Master

star 4
    What I don't understand, is why is it taking so long for them to animate something this simple. They have been working on the animation for nearly 2 years, and they only finished 2 Episodes? Yeah, I know that there was time spent on coming up with the designs and scripts, but Rob Coleman and his crew have been working on the digital animation since the beginning. I could understand if this was more detailed, but this animation is simplistic. For example, Yoda's hair is just one solid block with almost no texture, instead of seperate hairs. I am wondering if maybe the spaceships, cityscapes, and backgrounds, will be a lot more detailed, and just the characters themselves will be this simplistic. This is the only way I could see why it is taking so long to animate this, and have Rob Coleman's comments make any sense.:confused:
  8. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I do find it odd that they have only finished two episodes but that could also mean the animation is so good that it takes a very long time to do each episode.
  9. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree. I was expecting something like Final Fantasy-esque graphics/animation.

They're certainly taking it seriously, and a large part of the time would be story/character development.

Plus, they're shuttling stuff back and forth between Skywalker Ranch and LFL Singapore...

But the results better be worth it.
  10. ObiWannaKracker Jedi Padawan

so 2 yrs. to do 2 episodes? and they're slated for...what did I hear...100 episodes?

good knight!

somebody tap gently on my cryo chamber when they're done.
  11. StoneRiver Force Ghost

star 4
    Check the title of the thread...

the live action series is slated for 100 episodes ;)
  12. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah I don't believe they have ever announced how many episodes they intend the animated series to have. I know the live action is to have 100.
  13. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Do you guys think we'll see animated versions of any of the novels/comics?

I think I might be interested in that.
  14. Earthknight Jedi Master

star 4
    ^I would love to see a CGI Shadows of the Empire or a CGI Thrawn Trilogy.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think it's possible we might see some events from the Clone Wars novels and comics adapted or integrated into the stories of the show- they requested copies of the existing CW media when the show started development so maybe it was more than just continuity concerns. We also know the DHC SW editor visited the animation studios to coordinate with them, so there could be some crossover between the two coming up.
  16. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    From the interview with Coleman, it appears to be 26 episodes. 5 will be done by Coleman
  17. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4

Yeah I am wondering if that will be the entire series or if it is one season. I think that might be all since it deals witha limited time period.
  18. Kol_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Huh?

At that news clip of George Lucas over at IESB, he says that the animated series will be set between Episodes I & II?!? NOT II & III? Is this a mistake by the Grand-Master?

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_xevidmegafx&Itemid=139&func=detail&id=259
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Probably a slip. He also mentioned a new character in the animated series- a young female padawan named Osoka.
  20. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    It was kind of funny watching Lucas try to remember the term "Togruta" to describe Osoka.

Looks like Fisto's getting an episode to himself too, judging by one of TFN's articles.
  21. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Found this on AICN:

George Lucas Says
    The Live-Action STAR WARS
    TV Series Is Still ?Years Away?!!
    I am ? Hercules!!

George Lucas came to the Museum of Television and Radio?s William S. Paley Festival Saturday night. The first 90 minutes of the two-hour event were devoted to ?The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles? and Lucas? efforts to bring that series to DVD with accompanying documentaries and study guides.

There was interest in the project, but the crowd was clearly hungering also for details on the upcoming ?Star Wars? TV projects.

They didn?t get a lot. Lucas spoke briefly of the upcoming animated ?3D? ?Clone Wars? series, describing the Cartoon Network?s earlier series of ?Clone Wars? shorts as ?a test.?

He told the Paley audience that the upcoming animated series would ?create the ambiance of the movies in cartoon form,? noting that there is currently ?nothing on TV quite like it.?

He said his objective with the series was to ?create a pretty good adventure, breaking all the rules.?

He described the upcoming animated series as ?episodic.? ?We don?t have to deal with the Skywalker story,? he said. ?There could be some episodes that have nothing but Clone Warriors in them.?

He said he would produce 100 episodes of the animated ?Clone Wars? series, ?then make a deal to show them.?

When asked to discuss the characters his upcoming live-action ?Star Wars? series would focus upon, Lucas said that project was still ?years away.?

He also suggested that a ?second animated series? might be produced before he got around to the live-action series.

?It?s one show that splits up into four shows,? he said, ?and each show will deal with a different character.?

There was no follow-up, so immediately after the event I consulted with some of my fellow "AICN Jedi Council" members in attendance regarding that last statement. Everyone agreed that when Lucas spoke of the ?one show that splits up into four shows,? he seemed to be referring to the the live-action ?Star Wars? TV series.

So does Lucas intend for the live-action ?Star Wars? series to follow an ?American Graffiti? structure, following four sets of characters in each episode? Or does he intend to revisit each set of characters every fourth episode? Or does he intend something else entirely?

So cryptic. But interesting.

?For me, the future is TV,? Lucas told the Paley crowd. With features, he said, ?the odds are so great, the risk is so high. I just want to have a good time.?
  22. Jango_Fettish Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't believe how loose lipped Lucas was in that interview. I mean, it appears he just let out the possible main character of the animated series. I'm glad to see it is not going to be all Anakin/Obi-Wan stuff, their time during the CW have been more than covered in the EU.
  23. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Wow... I never thought Lucas would become our prime source for spoilers.
  24. Earthknight Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh joy. 100 episodes of a war that was an entire set up. 100 episodes of prequel time period:( .
  25. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    //shrugs
    Don't watch 'em then :)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    cwustudent likes this.