main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Not to mention the amount of time he has to talk to himself.

darthzac14 and Seerow like this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    No body talks to themselves quite like Baker and that's where that man really shines.

Listen to the dinner table scene in 'The Deserter".

3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well that's disappointing... [face_sigh]

I feel like he does a good job, but when they constrain his range of inflection, pitch, and other effects, that's when his acting begins to wear thin.

For instance, he does an excellent job with the clones, lending slight variations in accent and inflection between several otherwise "identical" voices. And without looking at the credits, I don't think I would've connected the guy playing Rex to the one playing Bossk, considering how Baker changes up his vocal pitch and adds that animalistic growl. But when the voice directors give him a general Coruscanti accent to portray for the likes of Saesee Tiin, then it bleeds into his New Zealander/Australian accent that he uses for the clones and the figurative mask starts coming off. If they want to use him so much, they need to realize variation is the key. The same goes for the likes of Corey Burton; these people can pull off dozens of voices, but when you assign Voice #3 to multiple characters, their actors' involvement quickly becomes apparent and it grates to the observant ear.

MistrX likes this.
  4. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Filoni is actually one of the more immersive voice actors in TCW. I didn't know he was the homeless Gotal until I saw the episode guide. Embo is a distinctive voice, electronically altered albeit, but even independent of the alteration, it's very different to other Filoni voices, such as some of the background supercommandos in the Mauldalore arc. Most of his voices are "weird" ones like Embo and the Gotal, though.

5. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Well Filoni is an Alien.

6. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    Has anyone seen him without his hat?

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Sorry about that, not happy about the new for Transformers: Prime either.

DBB is amazing as the clones and I think he does an okay job as Bossk and Saesee Tiin myself. I think he gets weaker though with all the extra voices where DBB starts to suffer from 'Its that guy' syndrome. Like with Colburn and the mushroom guy from the beginning of the droid arc. He does better than JAT with the extra voices IMO. Doing all those background characters will inevitably max out most talents. I wish they would take more advantage of Jim Cummings's range.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I hate to be the buzzkill, but yes, several times he appears without his Stetson. In the recent commentaries he's been wearing a beanie, and in the Maul?Ventress finale arc commentary on the Blu Rays he's actually not wearing any headgear.

10. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    You've dashed our alien invasion fantasies, Fanboy. :p

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's what I do, I am the crusher of dreams, the destroyer of souls.

LawJedi likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I love the range he's given the clones. It's great to hear the myriad of inflections he can give what is in many ways one voice to make them all individualistic. I do wonder if that works against him, though, as it gets to the point where many of his characters just sound like altered clones or clones doing voices. Interesting that you two would mention Bossk as I think he was the first time that I really noticed that happening. Now, Karina, she's another story. :D

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Now that Tim Curry does Palps... every time I hear him speak, I will be reminded of this... [face_plain]

Paparazzo likes this.
  15. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Except if that were Palpatine lightning would be coming out.

16. Lucas01210

Lucas01210 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2013
  17. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    So if Dr. Frank-N-Furter's voice is coming out of Palpatine, does that finally confirm his full name: Frank Palpatine?!?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hmmm... both Colburn and the mushroom guy DBB did just sound like Klaus from American dad. I think DBB does have an advantage over other VAs in that he's just not as well known as so I don't get alot of "Oh its that guy" with him. Really that's one of the things I appreciate about the voice acting in TCW. I rarely get that feeling except within the show itself. DBB has always been better known for sound and really strange voices so perhaps when it comes to regular voices he does't have the best range out there.

19. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    I'm kind of hoping they give us iTunes season pass buyers the theatrical cut of the finale. It sucks paying for 22 episodes and getting 20.

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its just one more arc to add to the list I want edited into a movie.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    We already have 2 TCW movies, well if you Darth Maul Returns DVD a movie :p

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's not one of the arcs on that list unfortunately

-Umbara
    -Rako Hardeen
    -Mauldalorian
    -Ahsoka

23. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd hope they'd release the Ahsoka arc as a movie since it's already been edited that way.

But if they won't I'll edit it myself. [face_not_talking]

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  24. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    This arc is already edited into a film, besides the 2008 theatrical release, we've had The Nightsisters Trilogy released as a film and Darth Maul Returns.

I'm fairly certain every 4 parter is a film. We know that Young Jedi was screened as a film as well.

This one is particularly cool though because it has the Star Wars main theme and additional "Star Wars" style wipes.

I believe part of the justification of doing the main theme for this one was to add it to the start of all the films they will release in the future where the royalties just go to an orchestra in Prague instead of cats John Williams uses which are likely very expensive. Because the multi-part episodes lose narration for each episode, sometimes the opening crawl could be needed to situate any confusion and perhaps set up the stories better.

25. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    What about the Geonosis arc? That one would make a great movie.

Force Smuggler likes this.