main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Happy to help. :)

Darth Vader likes this.
  2. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    That always struck me as a ridiculous justification for why Rex is still a Captain. Back when Barriss is Luminara's Padawan in S2, she is a Commander, this being at a time when Luminara also has Commander Gree as her subordinate officer, Gree serving as her second-in-command up to ROTS. The Geonosis arc (ie. General Unduli with Commander Offee) takes place after Cloak of Darkness (General Unduli with Commander Gree), so Barriss being knighted doesn't explain this if a Jedi Commander somehow can't be in the same hierarchy as a Clone Commander. That's just in TCW. Elsewhere in the EU, we regularly see Clone Commanders take a subordinate role to Jedi Commanders.

Also, Rex and Anakin begin working together some time before Ahsoka arrives on the scene at Christophsis. Where was the 501st Clone Commander before Christophsis? Nowhere. All through TCW, Rex has been regarded as the leader of the 501st Legion. Sure, he is also referred to as leader of Torrent Company, but Commander Cody also has "Ghost Company" under his direct command during the Ryloth campaign, despite having "enough clones to take three star systems twice the size of Utapau" beneath him in ROTS in the form of the 212th Battallion/7th Sky Corps.

Basically, Star Wars (at least in the films and visual media) doesn't do well with military ranks. They choose ranks and unit descriptors because they sound cool, not because they make sense.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  3. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I think it's safe to assume he is, TCW at least. Anakin>Ahsoka>Rex.

Well obviously Ahsoka isn't around anymore. Rex was also called Anakin's second in command in the Umbara arc.

4. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Nowhere...on screen. But considering the 501st's nature as a divisible unit per Battlefront, the current 501st's commander may have been on any of a dozen other fronts.

And yeah, as sad as the reasoning is, TaradosGon is right. Rex was made a Captain so that Ahsoka would have a distinguishably different and higher rank than her clone officer, so that people wouldn't mistake them as peers. Which, as you noted, went out the window anyway with later characters.

5. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    Yes, I can see why they chose that from an artistic perspective. Having two commanders on screen would probably confuse much of the audience.

You mentioned earlier the idea that Rex made a positive impression on Anakin, who subsequently made him his second-in-command. I actually think there's a good story in there: freshly knighted Anakin Skywalker takes command of the 501st Legion; the original 501st CO (an actual commander) is killed in battle and Rex takes his place; character development ensues.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    That is also a video game, I'm not gonna really count Battlefront and I'm sure the TCW crew won't either.

Star Wars has always been terrible with rank and military positions regardless.

7. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    I've always like the idea of that as well, along with Rex earning those Jaig eyes.

Seerow likes this.
  8. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    While specific gameplay elements are disregarded, the storyline and surrounding aspects of both Battlefront games are considered 100% canon. Furthermore, the specifics of the 501st as a divisible unit have been reflected in other subsequent sources. You can feel free not to count it, but it remains official canon all the same.

9. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    Like the story of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and the Kryze sisters in the time of the Mandalorian clan war, that would seem like material for a Lucasfilm Animation feature film. Presumably "back in the day" before he earned the Jaig eyes, long before the TCW film, Rex would have been close in demeanour and attitude to Dogma. How he became the 501st Legion's commanding officer and the somewhat unorthodox clone of later times could be a compelling origin story. It would also allow the evolution of Anakin into a respected, responsible General to be shown.

Seerow likes this.
  10. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I think they outline it all pretty well in the essential guide to warfare...

"commander" wasn't a single rank within a hierarchy...It wasn't: General, Commander, Captain

TCW just doesn't show all of the ranks in between and describe it since, well...why is it that necessary for their main audience to know the minutia of military ranks??

Basically, this is how it goes (and TCW doesn't really contradicts this):

Squad: Led by Clone Sergeant > Platoon: Led by Clone Lieutenant > Company: Led by Clone Captain > Battalion: Led by Clone battalion Commander > Regiment: Led by Clone regimental Commander and Jedi commander (often the Padawan of the Jedi General of that Legion or Corps) > Legion/Brigade: Led by Clone senior Commander and Jedi General > Corps: Led by Clone marshal Commander and Jedi General > Sector Army: Led by a highly experience Jedi General > Systems Army: Led by a member of the Jedi High Council as the General > GAR: Led by Palpatine

Gree can still be Luminara's commander - either as a battalion commander, regimental commander, senior commander or even marshal commander - and Barriss could still be the Jedi commander of that regiment...

As was said before, due to the 501st, fractured nature - being split up and sent to help out other armies all over the galaxy - it would make sense that Rex's superior officers may not be present at the same engagments that Anakin and Ahsoka are.

Anakin led the Legion (4 Regiments) with a senior Clone Commander. Obviously, 4 Regiments is a lot of troops, My guess is that many of these troops were dispatched elsewhere and the Sr. Clone Commander led those regiments. The remaining regiment (4 Battalions) remained with Anakin and was led by Ahsoka and her fellow clone regimental commander. This clone regimental commander probably led 3 of the battalions in many situations with Ahsoka taking control of the remaining battalion and its Clone battalion commander. It was most likely this specific battalion that was with Anakin and Ahsoka through much of the war and Rex would be a leading officer in the companies that made up that battalion....

Also...just because Appo is a Sergeant, that's not really a problem rank-wise IMO. Considering that makes him enlisted during the Battle of Umbara. That means that after Umbara, it is completely possible for him to be commissioned to a completely different Regiment than where Rex and Anakin spend their time. He would never have to Climb over Rex rank wise...

EDIT: Just going off of real-world military, in general...the rank of "Captain" is the longest held position that an officer usually has. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense that Rex is still a Captain. The fact that Appo becomes a Commander - he could be commissioned as a LT in a different Regiment shortly after Umbara, then before ROTS, be promoted to Captain and have his superior officer KIA right before Order 66, resulting in a quick promotion from LT to Commander.

Seerow, QuangoFett and Mia Mesharad like this.
  11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I just found this, what the heck? It was an image for 'Revival', Savage vs. Ima-Gun Di, I mean it's obviously not going to happen now, but it doesn't look fake, maybe it was a deleted scene?
    [​IMG]

12. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Maybe it was an animation test? Where was the image found?

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
  14. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    It's just another Nikto Jedi. Doesn't necessarily have to draw conclusions Ima-Gun Di rose back from the dead.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  15. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    It looks a lot like Gun Di's particular model. Even if it's not him, that's still a still from a deleted scene.

16. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah definitely agree. We already basically know season 6 with Clovis, the clone arc with Fives written by Michnovetz, there should be a bounty hunters arc because of a pic I saw on Filoni's Facebook with all of the bounty hunter va's, then there will likely be an arc with Maul, one with Ahsoka, and possibly one with Mandalore. So there's 6 arc which will be 22 episodes. So then season 7 would wrap everything up and lead right into ROTS.

Sally_Mothma likes this.
  17. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    That's his brother Ima-Not-Gun Di.

18. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Since SPOILERS are allow in this thread, I'm going to post this here:
    I'm hoping we'll get some tidbits of the future, or at least something to speculate with.

Sally_Mothma likes this.
  19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Remember what we learned from "Shadow Warrior'? All non-humans look the same.

I'm begging you, say something about ******* season six.

Sally_Mothma and phatdude1138 like this.
  20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I thought that was from the opening reel of Revival, that Savage and Maul killed a twi'lek and nikto (?)

21. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Its confusing since - based on the Plop Dribble's diner in the background, it appears to be an image from before he found Maul - in Brothers...why it would be attached to Revival and feature a Nikto....who knows?

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    They probably just reused the model a bit. There have been other guys like that. Recall the Rako Hardeen arc?

23. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I just finished listening to Rebel Fore Radios live interview with Ashley Eckstein.

I'm not sure if it was Jason Swank or Jimmy Mac but one of them said:

"I know that work has been going forward on season 7 and season 8"

But like we all know already, it is unsure if Disney will allow it to air in the future. It might just be a straight to DVD or online content show. We of course would all want it to be a TV broadcast show.

To do that we have to keep writing letters to Bob Iger of Disney : Save Our Clones

Sally_Mothma likes this.
  24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah, that didn't do much for my spirits, sorry to say. Thanks for reposting my link. Please place it in your sig. I encourage members to do this. the Save Our Closes page of a collection of information on how we can all voice our support. TCW really needs to be on TV, IMO. You didn't happen to catch those voicemail numbers they gave out did ya? I would like to add them.

I also got the impression from that podcast interview that Ahsoka has been written out. I think one thing that really bothered me was Ashley said new lines were being recorded for the ending of "Wrong Jedi" as late as December. I know we always knew something emotion was going to happen there. And I hope it really was just GL changing stuff but I'm worried there was a last minute change to that.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Now that's the type of news I like to hear! :D

Sally_Mothma likes this.