main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmph. I like the prequel era. They had some interesting characters at that time.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    One thing I really enjoyed in the Clone Wars novels and comics was the effect of the war on the Jedi - how to act like soldiers, how to order people to their deaths, how some Jedi left the Order.

Lucas could get more into that side of things.

3. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Yeah I am surprised he remembered Shaak Ti's name. That was really cool.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    One hundred possible episodes of exciting star wars clone war fun. Laser blasts galore, and lightsaber swing jedi.:oops: No serious, it sounds good, but 100 Episodes? For just the last 6 month period? Plus all the video games, and eventually novels and comic books that will be brought out. The live action seams to be now in a distant future, and a second animated series in the works? I hope that it is in the star wars era and not Indy

5. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    GAHHHH! Vong dude, must you complain about everything?!?!

6. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if the "2nd animated series" was something like Knights of the Old Republic - they could do pretty much anything they wanted.

I'm a little perturbed by Lucas saying they're going to finish 100 episodes and THEN sell it to some tv network.

How many episodes did Coleman say they had finished? There's no way they would actually work on 100 episodes without having some kind of contract in place - Lucas is very good with his money.

7. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I think the series would've been more interesting if it was set between Episode IV and V. So much possible material in that gap. So many neat stories that could be told. But no, more slimfast robots getting diced by Obi Wan and Anakin.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's pretty smart, actually- ensures the story is fully told without network/broadcast reliance. This way, even if the ratings are poor enough for whatever channel to cease broadcast (and whose contract would likely prevent another channel from airing them for awhile), they could still release the remaining episodes straight to DVD.

Though obviously such low ratings are unlikely, but even then it's cutting out the middleman, reducing season delays, etc. Probably more cost efficient too.

9. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    GL could afford to shoot another enitire SW trilogy - just for something for his kids to show for friends at barbecues.

10. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    :confused: Yeah like there is a whole lot to cover between ANH and ESB...

And I am quite sure we just had confirmation that this show will be centered on a new character, and not Anakin and Obi-Wan. The Clone Wars are such a huge, wide scale war to cover. The main character's story may have been told to death already, but if the show is indeed about more obscure and new Jedi, there is a lot to be told. Way more than anything in the OT era. The Clone Wars raged 24/7 across the galaxy, the rebels were fighting a hit and run war with the Empire. A whole series at the time would be ridiculous, not to mention it is so overcrowded in the EU as it is.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    No, I understand the benefits, I'm just impatient to see the series! [face_laugh]

I'm just trying to imagine how long it's going to take to do 100 episodes....:(

12. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Well actually the same can be said about The Clone Wars. It's overflowed with EU and it's still getting a 100 episodes. And the Civil War had to have been 24/7 as well. You can't tell me the Rebels didn't liberate any worlds during that time period and that Vader hadn't wiped out any other civilization or Rebel base.

13. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    What '2nd' animated series???

14. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    The Clone Wars could be good. I doubt it will top the storyline in DS9 about the Dominion/Federation war. That is still the best Sci Fi war ever to grace television.

As for the second CGI television series, I wouldn't mind seeing a Rogue Squadron CGI series or some type of Rebel Alliance/Empire series. Something with a good overall storyline that will constantly make you excited or interested to see the next episode.

15. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    ... you don't even know the storyline yet!
    How can you doubt it's potential - against something as Star Trekish as... well... Star Trek!!!???
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!?!?

16. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    I believe Lucas himself said that Rebel and Imperial pilots would factor into the dark times-era live action show. So I wouldn't count on the second animated series to be Rogue Squadron then.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think that the animated series will either be an Indiana Jones or a Star Wars one in the Galactic Civil War era. Which the latter would be good.

18. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    WHAT 2ND ANIMATED SERIES???

19. Jango_Fettish

Aug 17, 2002
    There ya go :)
    From George Lucas himself.

20. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    merci buckets.

21. TragicLove

TragicLove Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2005
    Wait, I'm really confused by the "100 episodes then shop-to-networks" thing. Hasn't the date been officialy set by Lucasfilm for 2008? How can they possibly finish 100 30-minute CGI episodes by then? That's 1500 hours of animation! Consider how long it takes for companies like Dreamworks and Pixar to finish CGI feature films, which are normally an hour and a half, maybe two hours each. The time it would take to complete both the animation and voice acting before even going to the networks is mind-boggling. They must know how many people are looking forward to this series, why would they give us an official date and then push it back years and years into the future? That would be a really bad move on Lucas' part IMO. This just doesn't make sense to me. Lucas must have been misquoted or not articulating himself well.

22. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    When they interviewed Rob Coleman, he said they had finished 2, and were in production on another 11 (or something) and he was directing 5 of the first 26 episodes. This was in early 2007.

At that rate, we won't see the animated series until 2009, if they have to finish all 100 episodes.

Perhaps Lucas wants 100 episodes guaranteed from whatever network buys the series (?).

23. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Um... according to my calculator that's 50 hours (actually 42-44 hours; commercials, right?).

[face_mischief]

24. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Actually closer to 36-37 hours, figuring on 22 minutes per episode (the standard for US "half-hour" broadcasts on commerical TV). And that's including opening and closing credits, so the actual episode length could be more like 20 or 21 minutes, which would drop the hour-total a bit more.

I'm not too worried that they'll be able to get it done by 2008. Think of it this way -- it takes approximately 9 months for a single Simpsons episode to be completed. Yet they still produce 22-24 episodes a season. Lucas's series will avoid a lot of time expenditures by presumably doing a lot more work "in-house" than other series may do. And given the nature of CGI animation, things get easier and go quicker as more is done -- decreasing the need for new scaling and movement algorithims to be input, character models and the way they move and interact will already be in memory, etc -- the more that's produced, the quicker the production process can (theoretically) move.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Even with that lower number, it will still be the equivalent of about 15 Star Wars movies (2.5 hours). [face_hypnotized]