main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

It does kinda shed light on why the populous going without hot water and reading light (because in the GFFA with all its glorious tech no one even thought of something like the Kindle Paperwhite) got so pissed off they signed on for the genocide of the Jedi Order and were cool with Palpatine. The C.I.S.'s big bad is always running away while lowly bounty hunters like Cad Bane can hold the senate hostage so are apparently more dangerous. Yet the Jedi can't win the war, more clones are being made, and bounty hunters are able to just waltz into the senate. That does look really sketchy.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Wat?

The people signing off on genocide in exchange for hot water and electricity is not a reasonable inference.

Really, I'm not even sure the people signed off on the genocide at all, or if their signature was required, they have no presence in the PT at all and hardly any in TCW.

Once again, Cad Bane did not hold the Senate hostage, he held a few Senators hostage.

Grievous swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine. Far more dangerous than what Cad Bane did.

I thought more clones were not being made? Doesn't Padme's speech prevent that in Pursuit of Peace?

Regardless, it's something the Jedi had nothing to do with, it was up to the Senate.

Another thing the Jedi had nothing to do with. They're not Senate security, the Senate Guards are.

If it looks sketchy, then the blame should be placed on the leader of the Galactic Republic, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, he's the one running the war, not the Jedi.

3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I love the Hulk comparison with Savage's Force abilities, spot-on.

4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Senate Murders reveals the outcome of the vote. Bill passed, more clones.

5. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Redeemed himself only to be shoved aside as a bouncer for Maul. All that potential, gone.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Savage should have been Dooku's apprentice for more than an arc. More like a whole season.

7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Indeed, and the show should of had more Dooku. I wanted to see the Separatist leader do awesome things all the time. Dooku was my favorite character in TCW. :(

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes- Monster had far too much happenings. They could've made entire trilogy about the battle of Devaron for example. But TCW did a lot of things not so well instead of focusing on few happenings and portraying it well.

Exception was focusing on Padmé's diplomatic politics (that they didn't do well however). I would've liked to see more "pointless" scenes like jedi and officers discussing about the battle plans and people having discussions about the war and all. Plus more entire episodes having just action and war. There was few of them but mostly they had too much plot-twists and too fast-paced episodes with a lot of happenings

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just as long as he didn't face Anakin and Obi-Wan anymore times. They had that more than enough times already. Have other Jedi find him, or him training other apprentices or scheming with Sidious. The show was way too Republic heavy. Give us a season from the perspective of different CIS leaders.

Monsters, Mortis could all be extended another episode imo. There were a lot of different stories going on. Maybe less of Anakin and Obi-Wan in every battle? That did get old after awhile. Or focus more on the CIS or rebel groups in the battles? Or the common people or smugglers and bounty hunters. Padme did get a lot of focus. Wish they kept in her political scenes from ROTS.

10. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm inclined to agree with those who claim some of the arcs could have been more explored. When I think about it, however, I think in terms of mini-movies. If these stories were made for release in a theater, we're looking at a 4.5-5 episode long story arc, much like what they did with TCW movie. The best arcs of this series could be viewed like this. When you're telling a story in an anthology format, you just concentrate on the highlights.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think they were meant to be viewed as mini-movies.

I would have preferred more stand-alone episodes myself.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think Aayla deserves more in TCW. She only had like one arc?

13. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    Didn't they start doing the arcs in case they got cancelled. Oh, the irony.

She was also in The Zillo Beast Strikes Back but I think they probably just inserted her because her character model was already made.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_laugh]

And as such, the droid arc was locked into being an arc when it might have gotten less negative press as a standalone.

Oh, the irony indeed.

15. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    Personally I would have preferred if the droid arc was a leftalone altogether.

eht13 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Left alone in the depths of someone's nightmare, yeah.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  17. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Maybe in Rebels we'll get an Imperial battlegroup conducting Base Delta Zero practice on the Zilkin homeworld. Just for the evulz. :)

TKT likes this.
  18. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I agree that the show was too Republic heavy, I mean just look how many Republic characters were left alive compared to all the CIS characters that were either killed or captured.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It makes no sense whatsoever that the war would go on for three years, and leave enough devastation in its wake that the average citizen was willing to accept totalitarianism as a pathway to peace, if the Republic won as often as the show depicted.

20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    The OS has Part 2 of Dave Filoni's interview on TCW up: http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/in...-star-wars-the-clone-wars-season-five-part-2/

Here are some interesting quotes I pulled out regarding creative decisions on Darth Maul's story and the epic three-way duel on The Lawless:

Regarding the duel:
    Insights on Maul:
    This might explain why it could be inferred from the ending of the Shadow Conspiracy novel that Maul would end up being killed by Sidious; however, evidently Lucas wanted Maul to live, because he had some future plans for him; it remains to be seen what those plans are, assuming they will even honor them now that Lucas has given the franchise to Disney.

More insights on Maul, particularly in regards to him being portrayed in a (somewhat) sympathetic light at the end of The Lawless:
    It's interesting to think that there is still a bit of humanity remaining in Maul, despite being raised from infancy in the Sith way. That side did show itself when he witnessed his brother's death, and I wonder if the TCW team meant to explore this side of him more in future stories. I am very curious, more than ever, to see where they go with the character.

The rest of the interview covers Ahsoka's character and the events of the Fugitive arc. To summarize, Filoni confirms that he's always been in the "Ahsoka lives" camp (no surprise there), and mentions the evolution of her character through the show. It's interesting that he brought up Luminara and Barriss, contrasting their Master-Padawan relationship with the Anakin-Ahsoka dynamic, and he notes how detached Luminara is from her Padawan; the model Jedi, in comparison to Anakin and his unwillingness to let go of his Padawan during the events of Weapons Factory. He also notes the flaws of the Old Jedi Order, and how they were essentially so hung up by bureaucracy that they ended up leaving one of their own to dry... Of course, this is all open to interpretation, and I know a lot of folks here disagree that the Old Order was wrong, but ultimately, Filoni wanted to convey that Ahsoka's realization that the Order was flawed was also a reflection of the growing discontentment with the Jedi in the eyes of the public, and naturally led to the conversation in RotS where Mace Windu, Yoda, and Ki-Adi-Mundi discuss plans to arrest the Chancellor, despite the fact that the public would likely view the Jedi as traitors. Speaking of which, no elaboration whatsoever on the thought process of why they chose Barriss as the traitor. Shame... Now that being said, I think it's clear when taking the films and TCW as a whole, that the Jedi were as much victims as they were responsible for what befell, them, probably more so the former.

Finally, Filoni revealed that it was Lucas that wanted the final scene where Ahsoka departs the Order to occur in two stages; inside the Temple where she refuses to take back her braid, and then outside when she has her final conversation with Anakin. That scene was originally set to be outside the Temple, and combined with Anakin and the Council offering Ahsoka to return to the Order, and her final words were also different. Also, Filoni mentioned that the initial impulse was that Ahsoka would return to the Order, but they decided against it; I imagine they wanted to permanently change the status quo, and I agree that this was easily the best ending for her, between the two choices.

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Still, Aayla deserves more time.

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    So, Dave considers himself one of the writers?

See, Dave has plenty of dumb ideas and killing Maul would have been one of them. In this case George was right, it would be incredibly stupid to kill off Maul so quickly after bringing him back.

This is why, when I criticize or place blame, I just put it on TCW in general, because I can't really know who was responsible for what and in the end they're all in it together, they all put their names on it.

Would you mind explaining why?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think that scene is when I finally became at least somewhat OK with the idea of Maul being back. I felt really sad for him there and I think the idea of a "spark of humanity" is interesting, although I wouldn't expect it to last if the show had continued.

I'm sitting on bleachers at the pool while my kids have swim practice, there's a concrete wall behind me and I'm ready to beat my head against it.

I'm not surprised either, but...go figure, Filoni. Unnecessarily add to anti-Jedi sentiment among fans just so your "filthy obnoxious little pet" (thank you, Asajj) can look good. And while I can understand the issues that some fans have with Anakin's character, or maybe because I understand it--there was no need to make him look bad in order to make Ahsoka look good either.

We know Anakin gets attached. We saw AOTC and ROTS, movies that showed his annoying side in all its glory. Just let him keep his cheerful awesomeness in TCW.

Exactly. Unfortunately so much commentary has centered around the mean old Jedi and poor little Ahsoka though.

I personally would have preferred that she stick around or return later, realizing that for all their perceived faults, they were her family and up until that fiasco, they had been nothing but good to her.

Just commenting on what you summarized; I'll get the article when I don't have to read on my phone.

24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    This is true... but, on the other hand.. how would you feel about it in Rebels if they brought Mace back, only to have him killed by Boba Fett within an episode or two of his return?

IMHO that could just work, if done right.

25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I suppose anything could work if done really well.

But that sounds stupid and I have no confidence in the crew of TCW/Rebels' ability to pull it off.

Even if done well, it would still come up short of its full potential.