main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    =D=

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

EU sucks :p

cwustudent and Darth Kickass like this.
  3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    As far as the Mandalorians go, it's a non-issue. While it was troubling at the outset, later material has comprehensively outlined how both the TCW depiction and Republic Commando depictions align in a reasonable, cooperative fashion. Both are canon parts of a larger whole. Just be aware that the show focuses on a Mandalorian sub-faction, the peaceful New Mandalorians, and their conflict with the returning Death Watch, not the warrior clan Mandalorians of the RepCom novels. Each exists apart from the other, separate societies living in different parts of Mandalore, with the New Mandalorians based their own capital city in the desert, Sundari. Several characters are going to offer their own opinions and views via dialogue that will seemingly conflict with what's been previously established both by RepCom and other sources, but we've been officially told not to take them as canon truth, for the New Mandalorians are prideful and insular, and prone to cultural posturing over the clans. For the clans' part, they don't really like them, either. Keep that in mind, and even those episodes are mostly enjoyable.

That aside, if you're familiar with existing Clone Wars-era canon, then you'll hit some moments that are sure to be frustrating. A couple Jedi die before they were previously supposed to, a few previously dead characters turn out to have survived, and there are a few...bugs, let's say, with one or two characterizations of pre-existing characters when they're brought to TCW. All of that said, I'd still recommend giving the series a go. As a long-time EU fan myself, including RepCom, I'll be honest and say that I found more to like than hate across the series' five seasons, though there is a fair bit to hate as well.

4. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Yeah, what was up with that?

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Crack.

6. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    A breath of fresh air? Reducing a rich, multifaceted and diverse culture to a racist, all-white pacifist caricature society with no real culture isn't what I'd call a breath of fresh air. It's more like a lungful of smog.

Pretty much this. The show's New Mandalorians suck because they're ******, racist, badly written takes on a pacifist people, not because they're canon breaking. And there are enough good stories in the series to balance out the bad ones and justify at least one watchthrough.

It's because George Lucas couldn't make up his mind with how he wanted Palpatine's transformation into his deformed ROTJ look to go. Was it age, dark side degeneration...he didn't know until ROTS.

7. Corr

Corr Jedi Padawan

Oct 12, 2012
    I think you've convinced me. Like I said, I do think there is good stuff to find in TCW just based off the bit i've seen. The New Mandalorian thing having an explanation that doesn't ruin the RC novels is nice (although they sound like horrible people). The only big controversy besides the mandalorian thing that I know about TCW is Maul's resurrection, but that one isn't that big a deal to me. Its stupid, but no more so than some of the stuff in the prequel movies. So, I'll give TCW a try.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Going with what Todd said; I like a good bit of the EU but I like a good bit of the show as well. My issue with retcons, both with the Mandos and Barriss Offee, wasn't that they were retcons, it's that the revisions were just bad. Other retcons, such as Even Piell's death, Ventress' background as a Nightsister and Anakin's Knighting date, were fine IMO.

Let us know what you think as you watch it. There's a thread here called Discussion of Old TCW Episodes in which several of us have posted reviews upon doing watch-throughs; I can't link to it as I'm on my phone but it should be on the first or second page. :)

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's HERE. :D

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Bold mine. Instead of seeing the same old warrior/mercenary Mandos, we got to see a completely different part of Mado society. It makes them way more diverse as a people and less one-note. Think about real life. Most countries are a menagerie of various types of people, often vastly different from one another beyond the unifying element of a shared nation. Same goes for Mandalore. And this is a civilization that's thousands of years old. I know a good amount of the GFFA has social stagnation, so that's why I think the New Mandalorians are a cool, new take on this established society.

darth fluffy likes this.
  11. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    1,117 pages. I really get this feeling that whatever we could talk about, we have talked about.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Impressive, isn't it?

:p

13. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  14. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    We could start over...:p

Still one of my favorite Yoda moments from the series...
    "Strong you are with the darkside young one...but not that strong."

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That makes me want to watch Ambush again.

Maybe I do need to consider one of those chronological order viewings...

16. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    If you had to pick an episode to introduce someone to the series who was maybe a little skeptical and hesitant...which would you suggest?

I usually tell friends to at least watch "Ambush" before they make up their mind not to like the show.

17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If it came down to a single episode to positively sell the series to someone teetering on the fence, knowing that if they didn't like what they saw right there and then they might never watch another episode, I'd show them Darkness on Umbara. It may be Season 4, but it's the first episode of the best arc TCW has to offer; once they're into it, then they can go back. Plus, knowing that there are great episodes to look forward to should help them weather the weaker episodes.

18. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    If I had to pick an episode or arc I would recommend the Geonosis arc. "Landing at Point Rain" epitomizes what I always thought when I thought about the Clone Wars.

19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yeah, it's the offseason (has been for over nine months now), so really there isn't anything really new to talk about, so we're all going in circles rehashing old discussions.

But on the topic of the overall appeal of TCW to someone new to the series, I'd say Todd the Jedi already put it best. To add to it, I think there's something for almost every kind of Star Wars fan in TCW. The wide variety of stories told, the breadth and scope of the series ensures that there's often something that will appeal to any sort of fan; be it a Jedi fan, fan of the clones, fan of bounty hunters, heck even fans of the CIS and the Sith. While many of the stories won't appeal to everyone (I myself wasn't fond of droid episodes, and generally preferred episodes focused on Force-users as opposed to non-Force users), there are plenty of stories are well worth it for those wanting to see the series through from beginning to end. I first watched this series as a marathon from Seasons 1 to about halfway through Season 5 (incidentally I finished my run shortly before the start of the much maligned-droid arc), and so I had no time to watch the featurettes on the OS, except for the Season 5 ones after the new episodes aired on CN. Honestly, while they might add more background, I don't see them as essential, and many EU fans can save themselves a lot of potential headaches by not paying attention to them.

I actually have yet to do a chronological order viewing. Need to get the Complete Series DVD/BD first. Saving up!

A rather loaded question, and one that I think will honestly vary based on the interests of the person you are introducing the series to. Like I said earlier, there are episodes suitable for many different kinds of fans: episodes about the war in general (Republic vs. CIS), which are definitely the most common, especially early on, with some episodes focusing more on the Jedi commanders (especially the Big Three) while still others focus more heavily on the clones; episodes about the Force and insights into Jedi training; episodes focused on bounty hunters and other "scum and villainy" of the GFFA; episodes; episodes centering on droid characters, especially R2D2 and C3PO; more personal stories like the Season 3 finale arc; and even villain-centric episodes that offer a glimpse into the Sith and dark side training. Depending on what kind of stories the person you want to show the series to likes best, you can then adjust your choice of episodes. Remember, it's all going to come down to that individual's own taste. Different strokes for different folks, one man's trash is another man's treasure, yadda yadda yadda. As such I really cannot recommend one specific episode, but I would definitely encourage a newbie to the series to give it a chance, and if they really like your choice, to watch it from beginning to end.

For me, it was well worth it. I'm glad I endured some of the less appealing episodes in the earlier seasons to get to the ones that I really enjoyed in the later seasons, particularly in the second half of Season 3 and beyond. The continuity between episodes might not have been perfect, but watching it from start to finish does give you a sense of some plot development and even a little bit of overall character growth over the course of the Clone Wars. Overall, I definitely enjoyed the series far more often than not. I have high hopes that Rebels will be able to surpass TCW overall, especially in terms of consistent storytelling.

Seerow and Ananta Chetan like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That would be my choice as well. It's a well done battle in the Clone Wars, with several familiar Jedi characters and the Separatists appearing as a genuine threat.

21. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Am I the only one who can't post a reply that posts the quote I'm replying to?

22. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Rookies, definitely

Contessa likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Rookies is another good one.

Darth Kickass : there was a Comms thread recently about one of the browsers having that issue, Firefox I think. I haven't had trouble in Safari or Chrome or with Tapatalk.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

You're the only one

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Why is Talzin hated so much?