main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I watched them all in chronological order over a period of 4 days last summer. Too much marathon, too little sleep. :p

I'm probably going to watch a few a weekend once the BC comes out with the intent of rolling straight into Rebels.

Seerow likes this.
  2. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah I keep saying I'm going to do it and then things like my water heater going out and flooding my kitchen force me to do something else. BTW gas water heaters are a real pain in the a** to install.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I was inspired by this very thread the other day to slap together a video to throw at people (in various places across the Internet) who dismiss TCW out of hand as a kids show not worthy of adult viewing, or not part of "real" Star Wars.

I started it yesterday, worked on it for about an hour or so, then today I must have sat there for four hours at least getting it finished. Amazing how much time is consumed for a 3 minute video. Much of it was getting rips from various DVDs etc. I'm not sure if I'll leave it as is or redo it, I might take the songs out or change them as the vid is currently blocked in Germany and Japan because of the music. And I think the black section at the end with nothing but speech needs spruced up. But for now, here's what I've ended up with:

][/B]

What you think?

JackG, AnakinColodin, Seerow and 8 others like this.
  4. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That's never fun. We had a small water heater in our pool house catastrophically fail after one of the many direct lightning strikes we've had over the years. The little ones make one hell of a mess, I'd hate to see what the full size heaters would do.

5. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  6. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    Kenobi Skywalker: Yeah, I've still got a minor leak in the discharge side of the hot water, but I did manage to get the natural gas connections done without blowing my house up so that's a win in my book.:D

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  7. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Darth Valkyrus

Awesome video, although you might want to put a language warning below the video next time. Since I don't have the Season 5 DVD/BD yet, this is actually the first time I've seen the censored decapitation scenes in Eminence and Shades of Reason. They certainly don't disappoint! Also, good selection of scenes overall depicting TCW's violence; this level of violence is comparable to all of the worst stuff in the six films, with the possible exception of RotS. And even then, I'd say it's pretty damn close. So yes, if you ever have to argue it, TCW is definitely suitable for adult viewing.

8. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Watching the series chronologically is a lot of fun. I love how the Domino Squad keeps popping up throughout the chronological run, slowing dying off until only one member is left.

moonjump05 and Obimus Primobi like this.
  9. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013

Yeah, chronological instead of broadcast order really helps with the storyline and helps the pacing.

Poor Domino Squad...

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Darth Valkyrus I love the timing for the words "kiss me" in the video.

11. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    darklordoftech That was intentional. :)

I was actually quite proud of how the lyrics of all the songs kinda lined up, mostly, with what was going on at the time. Especially during the first two beheading scenes (Savage / Black Sun and Ahsoka / Mandos), backed by Amon Amarth's Where Silent Gods Stand Guard. The thing I really liked was that the lyrics of one single verse were spanned across both scenes but actually still managed to fit both of them. It was something that didn't really occur to me until after I'd put it together and let the sequence play, initially I was going for something good for the Black Sun decapitations and just let it play into the following clip while testing it during editing.

"The last head falls to the ground;
    No-one is left alive..."

Fits pretty well with the Black Sun sequence. But then the rest of the very same verse:

"They thought that they could take me down;
    But it's not my time to die."

...which plays over the Carlac beheading, also fits well, if you know the background to that scene and the situation Ahsoka was in right before that clip. Once I noticed that, I realized I pretty much needed to let the song play for the entire beheadings sequence.

Unfortunately the next part, about wiping off and stowing a sword doesn't really fit with the Vizsla beheading at all, but hey, you can't have it all your way all the time. If it had been something fitting that really would be a jackpot.

Zer0, Seerow, Barriss_Coffee and 3 others like this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

And that one member is..........Fives :)

13. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    According to Word of God Echo's still alive somewhere.

14. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    One with the Force?

If it's true that he is alive, his survival is ever dumber than Maul's. He was vaporized on screen by an antiaircraft cannon.

15. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    An off handed remark by DF unfortunately.

I decided to add spoiler tags with the warnings. Good job on the video highlighting the violence in TCW Dark Valkryus.

TCW was easily the most violent animated series on TV. Its truly shocking at times some of the stuff CN aired thinking about back in the day what was getting censored on Toonami. I can't think of another show that put kids on the line like in the final arc of season 4. Sure ROTS did it but it just feels different on Cartoon Network. Put in on Adult Swim and it feels more at home. I do wonder what Star Wars will look like on the Disney XD, I just can't imagine it'll be like that. But last I checked Disney doesn't edit or even bother to throw up parental guidance warnings for the feature films.

I think Disney was the example being brought up earlier. Disney's full length animated features are prime examples of universal writing meant to appeal to all ages. That's something easily forgotten since up until Tangled came out that was something folks at Disney had forgotten how to do for 10 years. There are some surprisingly violent deaths in those movies, not all Disney villains just fell to their deaths like Gaston. Ursala was impaled by a ship, Ratican clawed Basil all to hell before he finally did fall off of Big Ben to his death, Sykes was hit by a subway train, Shan Yu was blown up by a mortar, and Clayton hung himself on vines to name a few. Beast and Malificent bleed. Characters like Li Shang and Gurgi (granted this one comes back to like) were good guys who committed suicide. And Zira sang about Simba's daughter squealing in her grasp and blood red skies.

I do think TCW like the Saga was written for all ages, kids and adult alike although there were plenty of times it bombed at it. I tend to agree with other posters that kids can handle alot more violence and at time philosophy than they are given credit for. Even Power Rangers has killed off a few characters over the years including Zordon.

16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't think TCW was better suited for Adult Swim, it stayed in its PG rating and there was nothing that "shocking" to break it IMO.

Mr. Atom Bomb likes this.
  17. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    The Clone Wars. Well I feel like the writing style is on par with a kids show. There's usually clear-cut villains and heroes to identify with. At least in the first two seasons.
    Adult Swim shows, well almost everyone in them is morally repugnant or incompetent because grownups like watching messed-up characters. The Clone Wars is wholesome and safe compared to that.

18. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    I would rather watch TCW on Adult Swim on Saturday nights than the Japanimation they show. Sorry, I know some are big fans of that style of animation but I never really got into it.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW will probably never be on Adult Swim

20. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    The whole heroes-on-both-sides / CIS parliament / Mina and Lux storylines heavily averted the kiddie-esque "bad guys bad, good guys good" type of black and white storytelling.

Asajj Ventress and, eventually, Barriss Offee were messed up characters. Bo-Katan started off as one of Vizsla's village-burning Mandos, but eventually became a heroic character and ally of Obi-wan.

General Tandin of Onderon served the despotic CIS puppet king but was a man deeply conflicted. Eventually he switched allegiance. "You're a traitor!" "I was. Not anymore."

Characterization of various individual characters was all over the page.

21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ You need to watch more animated tv if you think TCW is the peak of mature, deep storytelling for cartoons.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW can't be for Adults, it features Droid episodes :p

23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I liked that arc! I watched it today. Gorgeous visuals.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Does have nice visuals

25. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Darth Valkyrus

I decided to make a gif from that epic aftermath of the Savage Opress quintuple-decapitation scene:

[​IMG]

First post of 2014!