main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Can't unsee

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  2. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    I wish Lucasfilm would put out a statement about the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic as some websites are still reporting it as the intended TCW finale.
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=39753
    I had to LOL at Empire's sub-heading: "Darth Maul achieves climax" [face_laugh]

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Cause maybe it is the Clone Wars finale and people don't want to admit it.

4. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    But... but... but Revenge of the Sith is the Clone Wars finale.:D

podjazd likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

OMG you may be right!!! :eek::p

Obimus Primobi likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Only if they end up not releasing the Bonus Content after all, even though they said this comic doesn't affect those episodes.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    That's what they want you to think :p

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Maybe... I don't even know what to think about the fate of the Bonus Content anymore. :p

9. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    you guys are all just filling my head with sad thoughts.

Stop.:(

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Neither do I.

11. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    From Dave's Facebook page:

12. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    It's a bluff. Maul's...apparently too popular to just be killed off willy nilly.

Honestly, I miss Savage. The duo dynamic was working pretty well.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I miss Savage too.

And the "too popular to be killed" idea just needs to die from writers' and creators' minds permanently.

Popular does not mean immortal.

Mzukiller and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  14. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Popular got Boba Fett out of the sarlacc in the EU.

GL said he almost put a scene in the RoTJ SE of Fett climbing out of the thing.

Mzukiller likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I rest my case.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why hasn't he?

17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The best stories - for me - always make me feel something for the characters. Anger, joy, sadness, whatever. Now sometimes something can make me kind of sad vs. very sad, or kind of happy vs. thrilled. But I should feel SOMETHING.

And when it comes to a character being too well loved to die, that argument to me is ridiculous, because at times the death of a characters is definitely the means by which powerful emotions can be transmitted.

When I play a game like the Mass Effect series in which you get to know characters over the course of three games, only for some of them to die based on the choices you make, and then not appear in a subsequent game, that's actually quite powerful IMO. One of my favorites being killed is more impactful and is going to make that story stick with me more than someone I don't care about dying or if nobody died at all.

I've heard Harrison Ford argue that he wanted Han to die because he felt the character's arc was completed by ROTJ and felt that Han's death would give much more weight to the final conflict. And IMO, I agree 100%. That doesn't mean I hate Han or want him to die because he's annoying or anything like that, but walking away from ROTJ after Han made the ultimate sacrifice (going from a selfish guy worried about saving his life to a selfless guy that lays down his life to save his friends) would have been SO much more powerful IMO than what we got.

I think it's ridiculous when creators are too afraid to kill off their creations just because they are loved. Taking away something that is loved, if done correctly, can make a very, very powerful moment and keep me thinking of the story long after I've walked out of a theater/closed a book/finished a games/whatever.

Now Maul... is completely different, since I'm not exactly sure where his arc is going, it's not like TPM set him up for any storyline since he hardly said anything and died (and thus it wasn't a very powerful death scene). Whether it be sadness for Maul as a tragic character (which is where my gut instinct tells me they are taking the story), or whether Maul's death is something to be excited about, like seeing Vader take out Palpatine, I only hope they make me feel something. And if he gets to walk away from TCW alive just to keep a popular character around to milk more stories from, that would be a phenomenal let down IMO.

In the Alien franchise, I liked the Ripley character. In the first Alien film she didn't exactly radiate charisma IMO. She was more just the rational voice of reason character that makes it out alive. Her crew is wiped out. In the second film (director's cut) we learn that she had a daughter and that while Ripley was in cryo-sleep for decades following the first film, her daughter grew old and died. Ripley missed her entire life. By the end, she has taken it upon herself to take care of Newt, and is developing feelings for Hicks. In the very beginning of Alien 3, Newt and Hicks are killed off.

A lot of fans (including James Cameron - who directed Aliens) hated Alien 3 because of this. I loved it. It worked. Ripley didn't get to have her happy ending, and that made me feel something and fit with the ending. The alien killed Ripley's crew, it robbed her of being there for her daughter, it robbed her of her second chance at a family with Hicks and Newt, and then it eventually impregnates Ripley. And at the very end of Alien 3, Ripley is given an offer for the alien to be removed, giving Ripley yet another chance, but Ripley knows that the Alien is going to be removed and kept alive and that it's too dangerous, so she commits suicide.

(That's from the extended cut, not the theatrical version, so the alien doesn't burst out of her chest as it does in the theatrical version as she falls, and the editing of the music is just weird, but I couldn't find a clip on Youtube of the theatrical version of her death)

I loved what they did with the Ripley character and I loved her arc, but they killed her off and that was immensely powerful IMO. Then they brought her back in Alien: Resurrection which was just an embarrassing abomination of a sequel, regardless of how popular Sigourney Weaver was as Ellen Ripley, that character became a joke when they brought the character back after the conclusion of her arc.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've made peace with Maul's return due to Eminence and The Lawless. Those episodes were awesome.

That said...the argument that a character is "too well loved to die" makes me want to slap the person making the argument with a reality stick.

I doubt anyone gets past the age of 40 under the delusion that "love can keep someone alive," and most people probably don't keep that delusion past age 20 or 30.

I'm all about hope, but keep it somewhat realistic, please.

19. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Thank. You.

I got over the Maul thing, but that's it. I wish Palpatine, Plagueis, Bane, aaaaall the Sith - would just stay dead. No dopplegangers, clones, essence-transfers, horcruxes, maxi-chlorians, or ghosts. I'll have no more, EU, no more.

I miss Savage. And Satine. That's how I know they were great characters. IMHO.

20. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Does Star Wars have horcruxes now?

21. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Muur talisman.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Yes

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    May I ask a TCW question?

24. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    *looks at thread title*
    I believe so :p

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Does Tarkin begin in the Republic ranks or is it a sham? I's been a long time since I watched any of the series.