main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    So SW.com just released a portion of Filoni's interview back in December, which contains some spoilers for the Yoda arc. He explains how this arc reveals how Yoda came to become the wise Master of TESB following the events of this arc. Just about everything he says seems to coincide with most of what we've speculated in the Yoda Arc Discussion thread. Here is a pertinent excerpt:
    He hints that Yoda wanted Luke to understand all of this and then come to the conclusion on his own that in order to defeat the Emperor, Luke has to come to the realization on his own that his father can be saved. That's an interesting view of what Yoda and Obi-Wan say in RotJ, that while they figure that Vader will likely have to be destroyed, they, Yoda especially, seem to understand that there is still yet a small flame of hope, perhaps even a part of Anakin Skywalker that still yet lives, and that it is up to Luke to bring that out of Vader. Recall the final test in Sacrifice where Yoda battles Darth Sidious in a vision. The whole setup is a reflection of the final Death Star II scene when the Emperor is torturing Luke with lightning. In this case, Anakin Skywalker takes the place of Luke while Yoda takes the place of Vader. The analogy is twisted around such that it's suitably different, but here Yoda and Vader/Anakin must make a choice that would determine whether they are worthy of becoming a Force ghost by gaining the necessary insight that it is ultimately not through war and violence that one can defeat the great evil of the Sith, but through love and selflessness. Yoda chooses to save Anakin and sacrifice himself to defeat Sidious in his vision, in much the same way that Vader chooses to sacrifice himself to save his son and destroy the Emperor.

The final insight that Yoda gains, then, is illustrated perfectly at the end of the RotS novel: "The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins—but in the heart of its strength lies weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." It is this insight that Luke gains in his final confrontation with Vader that ultimately allows the prophecy of the Chosen One to finally be fulfilled.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

Me neither and we've watched every one of them multiple times. The Clone Wars' central character is Anakin. The series is primarily about the journey of Anakin Skywalker through the clone wars and those who were around him although it did sometimes go off into tangents with other characters' whose stories added dimension to the time he was in. Ahsoka is something like the deuteragonist.

and Circular Logic and Dave Filoni. Mind = Blown. That is an interesting way to look at Yoda and Obi-wan in ROTJ and how it all comes together. Its amazing how TCW does indeed add to the saga. Because of TCW really fleshing out the complicated hero Anakin was during the clone wars I now tear up when he dies.

3. henryj95

henryj95 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    Hey guys! I just watched the Yoda arc for a second time and I noticed something that (although not a huge revelation) is super exciting! When Palpatine force chokes Dooku by hologram, it is on the grounds that Dooku letting the Jedi follow a trail about Sifo-Dias is not the first time that he has been clumsy. What I didn't realize before is that this is a reference to Palpatine commanding Dooku to eliminate Ventress! Thanks to the trial of Ahsoka that Palpatine oversaw, he is now aware of the fact that Ventress is still alive.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Very nice find.

5. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    I'd have the exact same face as Dooku if somebody had one lightsaber at my neck and another so close to my genitals.

Revanfan1 and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I noticed interesting parallels between the events of two of the "Lost Missions" arcs with two arcs from Season 5. Namely, Onderon and Clovis as well as the Ahsoka Fugitive arc and the Order 66 arc. The former two arcs end similarly, with a situation where the Hypotenuse is killed. In both instances, the main Jedi character attempts to save the other character who has feelings for the love interest (although I don't think Ahsoka and Lux really applies, despite the conflicted feelings, meh), but ultimately fails. The latter two arcs has the protagonist becoming a fugitive, pursued by those whom s/he once trusted, all the while trying to uncover the truth. The parallel here is obvious, even down to the main character escaping into the Coruscant underlevels.

What's more, these stories must have been very close together in the minds of the writing committee, because based on production code the Clovis arc was written following the Onderon arc and the Order 66 arc was written following the Fugitive arc! Running out of ideas?

Revanfan1 and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    George Lucas is massive on what he once called "rhyme" or parallels. The PT parallels the OT in many, many ways. Dialogue is repeated, scenarios are similar. I wouldn't be surprised if this was his decision.

Whether that means he has a lack of ideas, I'm not sure. That's just the way he likes to tell his stories.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I bet we will see several rhymes in the ST as well. Just no Luke as the mentor dies.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's like poetry. Or something.

I don't know that it's a lack of ideas either, it just gets old after awhile.

I hope the ST isn't too repetitive. Or only repeats the good stuff.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Like the Evil mastermind watching his apprentice fight who would replace them.

11. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'd also like to add that although the plot between those two sets of two arcs is very similar, they still feel very different because of the characters involved. Often, people bunch the characters and the plot together in a critique, but the entire tone of the story is changed depending on whether you have Ahsoka or Fives as your main character. The relationship between Anakin/Padme/Clovis and Ahsoka/Lux/Steela was also very different, with the latter being much more innocent.

Myself, I don't like too much of this. I really like the fact, as mentioned in the Yoda thread, that the scenario in ROTS and ROTJ returns to task Yoda. But it takes me out of the experience when lines are used over and over again by different characters, especially if it's done too often as in the first season of TCW. A little goes a long way when dealing with this, I feel.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

They can arrive at the same general outcome without achieving it by the exact same means.

E.G. Obi-Wan dies. But not really, since his consciousness survives death and he continues to lead Luke, ultimately leading him to Yoda who takes over training. Then when Yoda dies, Luke walks out of Yoda's hut and gets one last conversation with Obi-Wan, sitting on a log as though the man were still alive. So Luke's mentors "die," in theory, but they are never really removed from the picture.

Compare that to Obi-Wan losing his mentor, and it was far more absolute. Obi-Wan has a conversation with Qui-Gon again on Mortis, but remained skeptical as to whether that was actually Qui-Gon and we really see Obi-Wan turn more to Yoda and Mace for guidance, but neither one really fills Qui-Gon's shoes in the same way that Yoda filled Obi-Wan's in the OT, only for Obi-Wan to in turn fill Yoda's again in ROTJ after Yoda dies.

Speaking hypothetically of Episode VII. They could just as well have Luke get separated from the protagonists. Mirroring the "rhyme" of the apprentice losing his mentor as has happened both in the OT and PT, but without requiring physical death. Obi-Wan didn't really die, in the sense that there was nothing absolute about it. He became omnipresent and could manifest from the Force anywhere. Which made Luke's experiences far more different than Obi-Wan's, despite the "rhyme."

Whereas if Luke merely is captured/incapacitated/separated and does not die, that could create a much different situation more akin to Obi-Wan's experience, in that while Luke doesn't die, he also never becomes one with the Force because of it, and so cannot come back and counsel the protagonist in the same way that Obi-Wan did in ANH, ESB and ROTJ.

You can have "rhymes" that still carry with them varied outcomes/experiences for the characters and audience.

Circular Logic and 07jonesj like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just realized something.

As much as I hate love triangles...I'll make an exception for one that ends with Anakin beating the crap out of Clovis. :p

credar, Revanfan1 and 07jonesj like this.
  14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm honestly not too crazy about the repetition of the same lines even in the films themselves. I find Anakin's "Here's where the fun begins" at the start of Ep. III cringe-worthy because of the delivery and the line itself.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

No way man, best line ever written :p jk.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It's not technically a love triangle when the woman is married. Or it shouldn't be. [face_laugh]

Really? I love that line.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    How funny would it be if Clovis was actually the father of Luke and Leia? [face_laugh]

Cevan, Zer0, Darth Wookiee and 2 others like this.
  18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I have no problem with the line when it's heard for the first time in the OT, I have a problem with GL's whole line-repetition thing in general and the Ep. III repetition was my example.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    "Here's where the fun begins" was a great line. Hayden was great in ROTS imo.

Legolas Skywalker Ew. Not cool. Not cool at all.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Not cool" doesn't even begin to cover it.

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Legolas Skywalker, you made me laugh, but I honestly feel pale, worrying that a retcon is in our future.

[​IMG]

22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

But... she did it for the Republic!

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No wonder the Republic became an Empire.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Palpatine had 72 wives and 250 concubines.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    She did it for The Rock :p