main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Clone Trooper Rex

Clone Trooper Rex Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2014

I believe that's what the fans of The Clone Wars want, to wrap up the loose ends left by the show. We know it couldn't go on forever as it was already nearing ROTS. Lucas and Filoni had 2 more seasons planned to finish wrapping all the loose ends and transitioning the show into Episode III, which included the events of ROTS though the point of view of The Clone Wars characters. Brent Friedman a writer on the show has said they had finished writing the episodes up to the series finale.

I love all Star Wars, I don't have a favorite movie or era, to me it's just one big story arc all connected. I'm looking forward to all the new movies and shows, but it really saddens me that they have left this gap in the overall story arc of the Star Wars Universe and saddens me even more when I hear people don't even care about these stories which are Lucas' own final stories in Star Wars.

TaradosGon likes this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    just thought i'd put this in here.. i saw some of tcw episodes off and on but never really watched it until recently where i watched it all on netflix. i'm always hearing ahsoka jokes and hate and i just don't get it. my point is that i had absolutely no problem with ahsoka as a character. in fact i found her characters resolution (or lack thereof) an amazing end to the show.

then i hear people complaining about the lack of females in the new sw 7 cast and that there aren't enough strong female characters in sw. really? ahsoka was basically the main character for most of the tcw series. so do people want a strong female character or not? i don't get it.

3. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    This may derail the thread a bit, but I am confused about something, and this seemed like just as good a place as any to get this cleared up. Where does Clone Wars the micro series fit in, and are there any important (canon) plot points in it?

4. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

In the micro-series there's a brief montage where Anakin is knighted and we see battles raging across the galaxy. Supposedly, all of TCW took place within that montage.

I say "took" because the micro-series, like so much else, is dead. It is now nothing but expensive fanfic.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not all "strong female characters" are the same, any more than all "strong male characters" are the same. Ahsoka is no Leia Organa.

LFL putting forth a character that some of us found reprehensible and then responding to our objections to her with "But she's a strong female character! I guess you don't want strong female characters after all!", if that is indeed what they are doing, is both sexist and insulting. So if we dislike Ahsoka, it must be because she's a girl? LOL wut?

If you "just don't get" the Ahsoka hate because you liked the character, that's fine. There are enough posts explaining why some of us hated her that I see no need to type another one; one more would not help you "get it". Best to just chalk it up to different taste and move along.

6. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    why are you so angry?

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    TBH The show has only itself to blame. They had 5 years which is more than enough time to wrap things up, but instead decided to do stuff like the Droid/Gascon arc !!!!!
    Then for S6 they decided to do the Jar Jar arc !!!

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked the Jar-Jar arc but you are absolutely right.

Force Smuggler and fett 4 like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Cause........Rebels :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Ep 7 casting is not a reaction to Ahsoka hate. IMO most people like her character anyhow, I think this forum has a specific slant in thinking.

13. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    The Jar Jar arc was dumb. All they did was add a waifu for him and give Mace some air time. It just added more questions than giving answers. The droid one was ridiculous. They added some badass clone who apparently was like the Republic Seal Team 6 only for him to get killed off. If anything you keep the droid arc and for the Jar Jar you replace it with one about that new badass clone team that no one talks about.

thejeditraitor

I can shed some light on your question for you. Everyone on here knows how I feel about Ahsoka because I voice my opinion constantly. The reason some people don't like/hate Ahsoka is because what she evolved into. Me personally I loved her character and what she brought though I hugely disagree with the way they ended her story. The reason there is such dislike is because she essentially became the story of TCW instead of being a complement to Anakin. I liked the way they evolved her character because it mirrored how Anakin was as a teacher and as a companion. Still as reckless and full of attachments which he passed on to her. She did lose her smartass character trait and just became bland near the end of the series. One thing I hate that they did was give her someone to have feelings for...f-ing Lux Bonteri(?) I think that is where her character took a down turn because in that episode she started to question the Order and the attachment. When she walked away from the Jedi order they made her soft and untrusting of herself which is a complete opposite of her character in the beginning. I was watching the Geonosis episode last night again and it is funny that she did not care what anyone else thought but that her gaining her master's trust was the only thing she wanted. All of a sudden in her arc she know cared what the Jedi council thought of her which is a complete 360. She constantly was hardheaded just like Anakin and disobeyed Orders so of course they would put her in the same boat as Anakin.

Lastly really I don't know if you watch sports or not but think of it as people who like Lebron and people who don't. It is pure personal opinion. Don't read much into the comments or the jokes on here because that is the awesomeness about T.V. you chose the way you like the characters and the story arcs.

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I dislike her character arc (especially how it ends - or was left ended, anyway).

Her whole justification for existence OOU seems like it was basically "hey, we need a character the kids can relate to, lets give Anakin an apprentice!"

There was no IU acknowledgement that Anakin ever had an apprentice, so they had to go the route of "well, they never said Anakin DIDN'T have an apprentice either!"

And then IU her justification was that Anakin is given an apprentice to teach him how to let go of attachments, but no progress with that was ever really made. The closest thing is merely Anakin letting her walk away, and apparently getting over it by the time of ROTS, if not S6. Yet, the Jedi don't acknowledge this, and in every other instance where a friend is threatened, or Ahsoka herself, he was extremely possessive and feels like it's his responsibility to keep his peers safe.

Putting hotheaded Ahsoka with hotheaded Anakin seems like it should have been a bad thing. And in the beginning it was, in that they constantly bicker and she picks up on Anakin's bad habits, and it's at least entertaining, even if I'm not sold on her existence. But then she just inexplicably develops greater maturity to the point where she's eclipsing Anakin, it seems, despite Anakin pretty much staying put and not really changing outside of just the basic change that Anakin went to make him more a heroic persona rather than a whiny brat.

Then to cap it off with the immaturity that Ahsoka shows in the finale and her stubborness to walk away from pretty much the only family she knew and to slap Anakin's hand away when he was going to go to hell and back to prove her innocence, it was just a lame conclusion to the character, and I hope that they rectify that.

I think she was really a pointless character whose existence boiled down to giving kids a character they can relate to, because the characters they were given in the films and microseries apparently couldn't be used again for that purpose.

15. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    TaradosGon

I think they made her into a pointless character near the end. The big GL always wanted him to have an apprentice which I don't think is a bad thing. It allows us to see how he never can change and the best step the Jedi thought was to give him an apprentice. Then while he has the apprentice knowing full well that he will kill anyone who hurts someone he loves they just say...."Hey pal you need to let her go" which is another issue in and of itself. I might be reading into it a little too much but it also shows the ineptitude of how the Order handled Anakin in the first place. Did Ahsoka basically throw up the middle and say FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUU to Anakin in her Arc? Yes. She even told him that "Yea I trust you but it's not enough because your trust really doesn't matter to me", that is the point where they made her a different character to me. It essentially destroys the bond they built and makes it seem like she doesn't care for Anakin at all. It was a dumb way for the writers to show us that Anakin let go of that attachment. The Anakin we know would not have done that so easily. He would have followed her down the steps more and reasoned with her or would have gotten made at her and yelled at her. It was a stark change for Anakin and his character. Maybe if it wasn't cancelled we would have had more to work with.

Did they know it was cancelled prior to Season 5 being aired?

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The original contract was just for 5 years and in there arrogance decided to drag it out for 2 more years thinking they would get them.

My own issue with the last arc was not only the story and motivations for the whole thing which made no sense but changing the last part from her not trusting the Jedi to not trusting herself, that MADE NO SENSE as she was right and proved so!

Vader'sGoodHand likes this.
  17. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014

That and the fact that Bariss apparently gets set free and dies with Luminara. She's in ROTS....or am I thinking of something from EU. Yea I think they tried to justify her leaving. She constantly wanted Anakin's trust throughout the whole series and she had it. His acts in that arc were incredible. He went to great lengths to make sure she was set free.

Edit: They had evidence to convict her though it was completely fabricated and wrong place wrong time. Also when did Bariss become aware of the powers of the Dark Side like that?

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting views on why some don't like Ahsoka, Goodhand. Yet, it's not why I don't like her. I don't like her because to me she has no reason to exist. Giving Anakin an apprentice was a lame idea and one he wasn't suited to. Which they proved resoundingly over and over. Personally, I LOVED that she left the Jedi and walked away. I'd take the Wrong Jedi over the pretentious Yoda Arc any day. It's all down to taste and perception. I don't see either Anakin or Ahsoka as 'strong' or 'relatable' characters. I flatly don't like either. I prefer Vader, Tarkin, Dooku, and Luke. Characters that hint at depth I can understand. Not forced 'you're supposed to love this character'. Everyone that loves Ani and Ahsoka, have fun but reasons for not liking something do vary.

thejeditraitor and Lord_Anzeroth like this.
  19. Vader'sGoodHand

Apr 1, 2014
    Cushing's Admirer

Cush Cush lady lighting. For sure. I was just hanging on the jokes that people make about her being a waifu and such. But that is another valid reason. Actually there doesn't need to be validity for a personal opinion. I like that there are such varying opinions about the characters probably more than any other show that I know of.

Edit: You do make a good point about the Yoda Arc being pretentious. Could you expand on that a little? In my original post this morning I did hint at comparing her character to the likes of sports figures specifically Lebron. Some like him and some don't. It's all personal.

20. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    For me the Yoda arc provided coll insight into the Force and its properties. I also really liked to see Yoda fight off his darker self. We don't even see a hint of Yoda's dark side in the movies/show and this addition really was to my liking.
    On the other hand, there were some things in the Arc that I did not like. In the end, we see Yoda dueling Sidious and then Yoda returning to the Jedi council.

What bothers me is that fact that Yoda does not report his findings to the Council. Why would he do that? That was completely OOC and I see no reason for him to hide it.
    However, Yoda's duel with Sidious is problematic on its own. Even if this was a vision caused by Sidious, Yoda is clever enough to not disregard it completely. He would get some idea that the "Sith Lord that controls the Republic" is on Coruscant, and even get a glimpse at how he looks. Yet, no search is initiated, no further steps are taken to find Sidious, nothing.
    It makes that whole vision redundant, if Yoda is not going to learn anything from it. So we have Sidious and Yoda duel, only so the viewers can see some Jedi vs Sith action? Was that all the duel was?
    Some could argue that it showed how powerful Yoda's willpower was against the corruption of the Dark Side. But, apart from already showing that when he encountered his dark self, most viewers already had a concrete belief that Yoda was completely incorruptible by his actions in the trilogy or the EU.

Another, minor thing, that bothered me was the ritual that Sidious did. I know Sith Alchemy and Sorcery is deeply embedded within the Sith, but no such rituals or archaic Darkside power were shown in the trilogy, so this felt a bit out of place.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Yoda arc was pretentious, and my normal take on that the same as that of the poet laureate of Dogwood Lane: An ounce of pretentiousness is worth a pound of manure.

(anakinfan brownie points to anyone who gets the movie reference)

That said--it was not as pretentious as Mortis, and I'll take the Yoda arc with its broad-based scope and no agenda, over the Ahsoka-centric, horrible-agenda-filled season 5 finale any day.

cwustudent likes this.
  22. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Might I ask for you to clarify how is the Mortis is considered pretentious?

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And they had to bring Maul back as well. Those episodes could have been used for something else.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It was supposed to be all deep and philosophical and spiritual and ****. It was supposed to be some uber srs bsns test on whether Anakin was the "true Chosen One" and could he...*drum roll*...possibly...*drum roll*...fulfill...his...DESTINY?

Nah, he just turns to the Dark Side to keep from turning to the Dark Side. And Obi-Wan draws his lightsaber on Qui-Gon (LOL wut?). And Shmi is evil. And Ahsoka wears goggles.

It wasn't deep and philosophical and spiritual, it was an exercise in self-important ramblings by the residents of the planet and stupidity by the other characters.

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  25. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    My problem with Mortis was that it created more problems with the Chosen One stuff than it clarified. And I actually liked the first episode mostly. I liked part of the second ep and loathed the third. The stuff with Anakin turning for 5 seconds really brings it down and wastes time the way it was executed.