main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Girl. Two things: One, you are welcome in here. And two, everyone around here listens to me so when I say you are welcome in here, I speak on behalf of the entire forum when I say "Crash the thread any time you please." :D

Now that said...you're going to get a wide range of opinions and it depends on what you're looking for. The micro series had a lot of solid action but no time for much else. It linked with the movies better. TCW had a bit of everything. Action, character development, great interactions between the characters, philosophical ruminations on the Force, and episodes that ranged from awesome to mindbogglingly awful. And continuity with itself and the movies was all over the place.

I got into TCW due to Anakin and Obi-Wan and wasn't sorry, because their interaction was everything that was amiss from the PT, and Anakin was everything he should have been there. He even had a few Han-worthy moments.

Give me a second and I'll link you to a couple of threads.

ETA:

Microseries vs TCW

Micro series Appreciation Thread

Discussion of old TCW Episodes

Hope that helps. :)

2. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Thanks a million, anakinfansince1983 !! I think I'm gonna give TCW a chance first (I like the idea of character development and all that, besides its on Netflix Instant which simplifies things). Just one question, are the series supposed to be separate from each other? I don't have to worry about never having seen the first series to get this one, right? Should I be okay as long as I've seen the prequels?

And thanks for the welcome and letting me "crash". *grabs a few snacks off the buffet table, stuffs them in pockets, runs off*

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, you're fine, no connection at all.

4. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    Welcome! I recommend the little hot dogs in blankets. God, they're awesome.
    I saw the microseries back when it first came out but only discovered TCW earlier this year. So far, I've been able to keep them separate but still enjoy each series on its own. I did like Grievous' first appearance in the microseries-- especially Ki-Adi Mundi's characterization in those episodes. There's also some random, unexpected bits of humor between Obi-Wan and the clones, similar to The Clone Wars.

So I'm watching "Lightsaber Lost" and one of the bounty hunters has the same name/nickname that I do (Cassie).

Yay. That's...swell.

Barriss_Coffee and Yanksfan like this.
  5. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Being a Ventress fan, did you like her introduction in CW? For you personally, does the CW characterization mesh with TCW or no?
    "[Ventress] is merely an instrument to bring forth the eradication of the Jedi." Beside the obvious (defying orders, recklessness, defeating an opponent through offense), how does their interaction lead to Vader?

6. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    So i'm almost done with the seres and i'll probably do a in order watching afterward.

Does season six have a Blu-ray release soon?

7. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    We don't know yet, but a lot of us are thinking around the holidays.

8. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011

Welcome to the forums, Yanksfan! We're pleased to have you!

If you're getting into TCW and want to follow it chronologically, here's a link to the chronological episode order:

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

Yanksfan likes this.
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Because now she knows what it feels like to be Anakin Skywalker forever....

JackG, QuangoFett and Circular Logic like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I preferred her in TCW because she got more character development. That said, I didn't see major differences in her character in both shows, only how it was expanded.

As far as the quote...Dooku used her for his own purposes in both shows, and Sidious only tolerated her to that end.

If you're referring to Anakin when you say "their" interaction...I didn't see much in either show that influenced Anakin's turn. The story in which she taunted him about Padme, goaded him into a fight and gave him that scar over his eye is priceless though. "Led to Vader", not sure, it didn't take much to make Anakin lose his **** regardless of who was giving him a hard time.

Hope that answered your question. :)

11. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    (Oops, yes, I meant Anakin.) I just wondered how Sidious was working Ventress into his big plan for Anakin. In Volume II, their duel works into Anakin's graduation, but what if Volume II wasn't produced? The Yavin duel is different than, say, Dooku vs Anakin on Naboo. So, I'm trying to figure out what Sidious was trying to accomplish. Perhaps: if Anakin can survive this, hopefully he can best Dooku. Maybe that's the answer I'm looking for.

Yeaaaah, that duel on Coruscant was juicy! And it gave us an answer to the scar! Too bad Ventress didn't give him the scar in their CW duel, like a symbolic consequence for jumping into danger and giving into his rage. Eh, hindsight.

Thanks for your insight!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    For all you hardcore fans of The Clone Wars who are wondering what will happen to all the unproduced character arcs, I found this quote from Filoni interesting. This came out of the SDCC interviews this weekend and they asked him about using TCW bounty hunters on Rebels:
    "I would probably lean more towards creating new ones than actually reusing guys. I would love to find a way to get Embo or Cad Bane in there but their stories are in some ways up in the air. We were working on more stories with both of them in Clone Wars. Part of what we did is we figured out all of the stories we're telling with George when we say "okay, what are we keeping? What do we we like and will we use it in a different way?" So you never know. Cad gets a lot of likes and it means something when we're in the story room."

My interpretation is that for some of these arcs, they are "keeping" the stories they wrote with George for TCW and some of those are coming out as comics and novels, i.e. Son of Dathomir and Ventress/Vos. But then for others they are using the characters or storylines in a "different way" so they could scrap the unproduced TCW story and tell a different story with someone like Bane I'm the Rebels show. Also reminds me of the way they repurposed the Stygeon prison from Son of Dathomir for Rebels.

The beginning of that answer he compares Hondo to the new Rebels arm dealer humorously. Here's the link http://www.comicvine.com/articles/sdcc-2014-star-wars-rebels-interviews/1100-149364/, there are a few other cool parts including Freddie geeking out over the Maul/Vizsla fight from TCW calling it his fave of the whole saga. Impressive.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The new scoundrel will be similar to Hondo? I like, I like.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well for whatever reason the writers did not make Maul use the force against Vizla which wouldve squashed technology within seconds and it wouldve been a shorter fight. I originally positively interpreted it that Maul allowed Vizla a "fair" fight, while Vizla was a dirty fighter and chose to use whatever weapons he had and/or simply that Maul did not care what weapons Vizla employed and use against him he was gonna kill him as a man not as a Sith, a warrior to warrior bout. However in "Lawless" Maul barely, if ever, used the force against Sidious..he was de-forced powered especially in light of how he used the force in past episodes against his enemies during battles- so in that episode it took away much of the positive significance of the Vizla fight and makes Maul look incompetent and sloppy to the point of being a dumb dick(even Savage was once a powerful force wielder but was reduced to a sparring partner). The Vizla episode was good though.

15. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't think Vizla was fighting dirty. Pulling out all the stops is only way a non-Jedi could even consider taking Maul down.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I think the extreme power disadvantage he was at explains why Maul didn't use the Force on Darth Sidious that much in The Lawless. I don't see that as connected to the previous episode at all, in which Maul knew he couldn't appear to use the Force to win because then none of the Death Watch would have accepted his victory or leadership.

17. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    With the Maul comic nearing the end, and the Ventress novel on the way, I'm curious what you all prefer? Comic book, or novel?

With the Maul comic, the drawings give a great sense of action, but the story suffers from being too short. I could see the Ventress novel being more meaty with story and dialogue, but I'll miss seeing new designs. It would be cool if they included some artwork, outside of the cover, but I'm not too sure SW novels do that typically.

18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I prefer comic form but its true about the novel. I don't know why they limited the Maul arc to 4 issues, should've alteast been a 6 parter. Possibly cut down due to Dark Horse no longer having the Star Wars license - although I think Death Sentence was also a 4 parter.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Between books and comics, I noticed it often comes down to who's writing the story. You would think novels could get into a character's head better, but Dark Horse's (former) track record with the comics has proved that otherwise. But it always depends on the author.

Once in a rare while. Only for the best.

[​IMG]

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm more interested in the subject of a story than the medium. If the story looks interesting and the author is good, I'll read it regardless of the medium.

21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I really like the Maul Son of Dathomir storyline but it's clearly the cliff notes version, meaning it's told super briefly without many details or nuances. I appreciate the visual aspect of comic form and getting to see all the concept art and designs come to life, but the artwork in this one is not always the best. That being said, i think we'd get more of a meaty story if its told through a novel (give that the author does it justice) but then PLEASE release the art with the novel. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that these will not likely ever be animated, so at least show us the artwork. Also, they'd probably sell more hard covers if they included the art in there, right?

One more thing, given Filoni's comments on re-doing some of TCW stories in order to utilize characters for future story arcs, I'd be pleased if they decided not to kill off Ventress in the novel even if the original screenplay called for it. She's a cool enough character that she deserves more adventures in animated form (this goes for some of the other TCW characters also).

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_love]

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Haven't read the SOD comics but comics and books are both equally good imo. Comics let you see things and then books let you get into a character's head.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Having read through the third Son of Dathomir last night, I can't help but wish that if we don't get to ever see this on TV, could we at least have a radio drama featuring TCW voice actors? There are so many important moments that I'd love to hear acted out.

25. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Probably good to spend a few extra bucks on the audio versions of novels.