main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    To what are you referring to? What does the PT/TCW fail to convey? If it is Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, then read my sentence below.

Isn't the reason why he would fall and how it was shown in the PT/TCW that we were discussing? Unless I misunderstood, the first and last sentence of your argument contradict each other. Please clarify if you can :)

2. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    For me TCW showed more of the SW universe in visual material(which I really liked). It did a great job adding more sustenance to the story of the Fall of Anakin but also gave us that for the Council as well. Both of those things could never have been done in the movies cause there just isn't enough time. I loved the show and the exploration it did for the GFFA. Still is one of my favorite shows all time.

3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Yeah, man, love for TCW!
    [​IMG]

4. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    Man, "A Friend in Need" is one dark episode, especially after coming off the "slaves in Kadavo" arc. First, the scene where all the messed-up droids are begging R2 to help them and then Death Watch gleefully burns that whole village. Damn.

cwustudent likes this.
  5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    So I've spent a bunch of time in LIT today collecting a list of just about EVERYTHING we know about content that would've aired beyond the "Lost Missions". We've actually learned quite a bit in the past year. I'm gonna quote both posts here so people can look it over and postulate over it...

Before I do, let me remind people that season 6's finale episodes were going to be 2 arcs... The "Son of Dathomir" arc, and the "Bounty Hunters" arc involving Cad Bane and Boba we've heard a lot of talk about. Only the former is being adapted into any medium, with the last issue coming out on the 20th. It may or may not conclude Maul's story (if it does, this likely deviates from the original planned script, with Filoni's permission I'd assume). With these, season 6 would've had 21 episodes. It is ALSO possible that an arc from the "season 7" would've aired in TV season 6 if the Clovis arc aired in season 5 when it should've. What arc would come after the previous 2 is unknown, as we don't know the production order numbers for any episodes beyond what's been released. However, season 6 would've ended with production number 6.01 assuming the clovis arc still aired when it did, or 6.05 if it aired during s5.

Next, for those unaware, one of the confirmed arcs is now being adapted into a novel, and it involved Ventress and Quinlan Vos. The press release says it's a season 7 arc, but it's hard to tell exactly when it was being produced. See below to learn why. Regardless, it's likely a major 4 episode arc, and I didn't mention it in the list below since it was already being discussed, so keep it in mind.

Without further ado, here's the other posts...

So there you go. That's everything I can think of. Feel free to add more if there's anything else. I'm not sure if production season 7 was actually going to have 26 episodes (they only planned to write to the end of airing season 8, and if production season 7 had 26, that'd mean some eps air in season 9), but we know for sure what we've been shown so far is a good chunk of all that existed and was planned. Follow the details, and you learn a lot about how the rest of the show would've played out.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ok guys so I gotta admit I never saw Season 6 yet. Gonna start today. Been working in a 3rd world country for the last year and Netflix and all that jazz wasn't available.

After this I can finally join all the conversations about these episodes! Trying to be spoiler-free has royally sucked. :oops:

I've heard about Fives and Tup though. Don't know the details. But I've got the tissue box handy.

Also I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the Mace and Jar Jar arc. And I don't know what's in the vault. And the Yoda arc can't be anything special because Lit didn't explode like with Even Piell and Mortis. I heard Darth Bane doesn't have eyeliner or a birdcage on his head though, so that's already got me disappointed.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was not expecting the Yoda arc to be better than Mortis, but it was better than Mortis, so there's that. I think Lit actually liked Bane's portrayal? I never read those books and have no basis for comparison.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

Bane looks nothing like that in the books, but the attitude the Bane in TCW could match the attitude of the original character.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah I noticed no one ever complained about that arc outside of the designated TCW thread (which I was avoiding), so I assumed it couldn't have been anything too blasphemous. I think I'm going to save that arc for last because it looks like the coolest.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

I was just happy that the arc mentioned Bane! :)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I watched it last as well. Wasn't my favorite but didn't hate it either.

12. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    Was I the only one that watched it last, because it was the last arc? :p

cwustudent and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's just about the best expectation you can have for those episodes.

And TBH, I was never fond of Bane-o the Clown, so not a huge loss from my view. :p

Barriss_Coffee and gracesonnet like this.
  14. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    Bane-o the clown?! [face_laugh]

But yeah, I also was not very keen on his appearance in the books. I still liked him better though than a faceless Japanese Samurai with a crispy voice.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You can't not love Mark Hamill doing any voice. And FWIW, he was a pretty good Bane.

cwustudent and gracesonnet like this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If Imperial Army has soldiers who aren't Stormtroopers, does the Republic Army have soldiers who aren't clones?

17. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Edit: My bad. For whatever reason I clicked the wrong thread and posted something here meant for Rebels. Sorry everyone.

18. gracesonnet

gracesonnet Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2014
    Plus, I liked the idea of Star Wars' heroes doing bad-guy voices on Clone Wars. It would have been cool if TCW switched it up too with the saga's bad guys guest-voicing good-guy characters. Like maybe Ian McDiarmid voices a kindly cantina owner who helps out Obi-Wan, or Denis Lawson plays the role of a shady senator. Natalie Portman as a bounty hunter wreaking havoc on an Outer Rim world.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Mark Hamill playing Darth Bane. We really have come full circle.

Coming from you, that is faint praise indeed. :p

20. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

I think that all admirals were non-clones and technically so were the Jedi, as they were part of the Army.

21. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    My two cents:

I love Star Wars as a saga. Explanations below:

The Phantom Menace: Good concept, average execution. I loved the look of the film since it at least bothered to look more natural and be less involved with CGI explosions. Liam Neeson was a God-send for the film and I enjoyed the struggles on Naboo thematically. Padmé was a great character and had legitimate progression, even though the script gave her little moments to struggle with in terms of just pure emotion. The Gungans were an absolute atrocity and it's not the species' fault that their two most-profiled characters were basically racial stereotypes. Maul was a great villain, wasted at the end. The droids were competent and not comic relief. And "YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" made me furious. Anakin should have been much older than 9 in this. The three-way lightsaber duel still stands as my favorite from the entire series. John Williams as always is amazing and "Duel of the Fates" stands as one of the single best pieces of film score of all time. The story would have been served better. 6/10.

Attack of the Clones: For heaven's sake, this was absolutely terrible. The first shot was well done and then the film just went downhill from there. Ewan McGregor holds his own as Obi-Wan but Hayden Christensen was a terrible casting choice for the specific role. The dialogue was by far the worst dialogue from all of the six films and I was cringing half of the film. The CGI is phenomenally terrible and a quality that is to be expected from a low-budget Sharknado sequel, not a major 20th Century Fox production. Padmé's exclusion from the Senate vote was an unfortunate turn of events that essentially created one of the most dull love stories of all time. Oh Gosh, that was awkward. Kamino was fantastic to see, even though it took a ton of exposition to get there. Geonosians were interesting as was the concept of the Confederacy. But Geonosis looked so fake in half of the scenes it was difficult to buy into it. The buildup to the Jedi in the arena was amazing and then it was over so damn quickly it felt. The most underwhelming galactic trip of them all. 5/10.

Revenge of the Sith: Padmé dies of a broken heart and that beyond pissed me off. The idea of a strong female character, or even a male one, dying because of a broken heart is just lazy, lazy writing. Nothing else. Natalie Portman still sold it though, even if she was given dialogue like "Hold me like you did back on the lake on Naboo." Hayden Christensen still underwhelmed in the role and the Anakin dipping into the dark side was far too quick. Everything else was more or less fine and the stakes for the most part could be felt. Ewan McGregor was great as Obi-Wan and Yoda's duel with the Emperor is stuff of legends. The bad guys win amidst an ambitious cap to a trilogy that made its final chapter nearly buckle and collapse under the amount of story it had to carry. 7/10.

A New Hope: The beginning in all reality. What a phenomenal film. The effects were magnanimous and the opening shot of the Tantive IV escaping a Star Destroyer is still one of the best film openings of all time. The story was great and the film didn't shy away from moments of utter brutality. The characters were infectious and yes, Han shot first. The dialogue was fantastic and the rapport between the characters felt genuine. The villains were instantly memorable and few characters inspire the fear that Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin was able to emanate. Vader, just Vader. Plus R2-D2 and C-3PO's friendship. :) And the Battle of Yavin. Rarely have been I so close to falling off the edge of my seat. So much love. 9/10.

The Empire Strikes Back: My favorite from the series, and for very specific reasons outside of general consensus. A sequel takes a story and existing characters, making them fundamentally challenge who they are and leave them in very different places from where they began. The Battle of Hoth was incredible, the interplay between our main trio was excellent, and the betrayal of Bespin? Gold. Nay, platinum. Plus, thew visuals of Cloud City are so damn hard to beat. Lando was a welcome addition to the cast and it was Leia who uttered the original "It's a Trap!" "I love you." Harrison Ford's improvised "I know." That lightsaber and Force duel. "Luke, I am your father." Chills and an agonizing cliffhanger. Perfection, absolute perfection. 10/10.

Return of the Jedi: The original trilogy follows the typical trilogy path of a strong beginning, an amazing middle chapter, and a decent but underwhelming finish. The shield removal of Endor makes sense with the second Death Star, but the idea of a second Death Star has always seemed phenomenally lazy to me. I don't hate the Ewoks, but they were completely unnecessary. The speeder chase scene was fun, but again it was unnecessary. Boba Fett's death was idiotic. I would have much preferred a Rebel assault on the capital planet of Coruscant with actual, serious consequences. Han dying on Coruscant, et cetera. The main problem tonally I have with the film is that it just seems to be incredibly light in comparison to the actual story that's at stake. 7/10.

The Clone Wars: The series premiered with a shaky film. But as the show went on, it easily became the best part of the entire prequel trilogy. The characters became deeper and more nuanced (for the most part). Anakin was the hero we were always told he was and his relationship with Obi-Wan was a real treat. How the two brothers handled the crises in their lives was handled wonderfully. The show had its fair share of missteps, including a certain snail-like creature who should never seen the light of day. The battles, sparse, were executed wonderfully and the show made the best use of the animation medium to show things that would have been incredibly difficult in live-action. Speaking of animation, The Clone Wars grew to house some of the most gorgeous animation ever done. And the relationship between Anakin and Ahsoka I really liked, even though I wish they had gotten more screen time together. And Ventress, oh Ventress. [face_love] The series deepened the Star Wars mythos and frankly in my opinion, it salvaged the entire prequel trilogy. Now the tragedy Lucas wanted with the prequel trilogy truly became one. 9/10.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Technically you are correct. I always throw Revival in with the two S4 Maul episodes though because of his costume change, and there really is not much connecting Revival to the other 3 episodes.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    True that. Brothers + Revenge + Revival, all the way. And sometimes Young Jedi + Revival, because Hondo. Likewise, I usually watch the Nightsisters trilogy + Massacre.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    About that, I'd definitely include Bounty on a rewatch as well since it completes the Ventress story arc with her having found a new life that seemingly sticks (seriously, Bounty feels overlooked sometimes).

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Quoted this just because.

Watto, Kablob and AkashKedavra_93 like this.