main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Someone has to ask him how did he pick up "Jedi knight" in RotJ, when he was blind.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

I understand the dilemma but it also depends on the backstory both he and Lucas had in mind for Han, he couldve came from poverty and something a saddle tramp so his education was lacking. Huttese to Han would be important next to Basic because of his job and who deals with on a daily basis. Han may understand some or all of Huttese but cannot speak it or speak it fluently, so just talks in Basic. The EU stuff was out even back then to them. But I can see why Tano would be a more affluent multilingual.

3. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    This whole confusion has to be settled.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Han's background is irrelevant. It is exceedingly clear to everyone except, apparently, Filoni, that Han understands Chewie just fine and is not just reading his emotions.

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Maybe that means Han can't understand Chewie at first and he started to learn his language after their first encounter ?

credar and Saga Explorer like this.
  6. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I understand what they're claiming. And it is not irrelevant, it is important For all we know Han met Chewie 2 months or 2 weeks before he met Luke on Mos Eisely. Han's education doesnt seem particularly high as he didnt know anything about Jedi or The Force, which seems to indicate he was born in some rural backwater in the Outer Rim and he's supposedly an experienced spacer. He was basically an outlaw and just a pirate is about all we know from ANH alone. Most elites travel with protocol droids, and even small time farmers on Tatoonine need protocol droids or something to understand different languages as they were not educated. We don't really know how literate many of these characters truly are. We do not know much about Corellia even, which could like Lothal/Tatooine or Han's life there, if he was from there even as nothing is settled truly until they air it or print it in a new book, episode or movie. Does he understand Chewie, sure, but not in language as it not not a human-like language, like say Huttese is. You may need to be highly educated and/or highly intelligent to understand wookie, like Jedi. I never really thought he understood him anymore than Luke understood R2-D2, whose comments are displayed on a cockpit screen for Luke in Galactic Basic. Same thing with the Ewoks. Was more a feel and emotion understanding plus its a movie , that didnt really go into any great detail, which others like Leia and Luke eventually began to communicate by much like Han did. The Star Wars universe has been either retconned or rationalized by either Lucas and his team or the in the broader EU, but Lucas and his team are the only ones that actually mattered and still matter.

But as someone else said above, we need more information and explanations.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why?

Han understood Chewie. The end. It doesn't matter how.

It's grossly insulting to Han to claim that Ahsoka was the only one who understood Chewie or that, apparently, Han was too stupid to do anything but read his emotions.

BTW, I speak three languages, despite growing up in small-town eastern North Carolina. The "backwater" argument doesn't work. Especially since Han was in the Imperial Navy.

What I understood from Filoni's comment is yet another need to downgrade a character in order to elevate his favorite.

8. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    No it is not the end just because you wish it so. You're going into old EU and personal taste, and you're also far to dismissively hostile to any other views and even facts that you do not agree with and keep reposting your same opinion which often is not rationale but emotional based. Until they officially state such and such is the case - which so far Filoni said Han does not literately understand what Chewie is speaking, then Han simply does not. If storygroup overrides him then that would be something else as well. Filoni is/or was next to Lucas on canon, so not much we can do, its something we have to accept and move on with. If Han Solo was in some Imperial Academy, which canon-wise so far no he was not, also depending on what class status or aptitude status he personally held(as not all Imperial recruits are equal and come apparently from all classes of society and are likely assigned positions based upon all of that kinda thing), perhaps yes, like Sabine he could or should be fluent in multiple languages and cultures. And learning what Chewbacca is speaking, especially if they been hanging out with eachother for months or years, should theoretically be very logical and Filoni would need better articulate or fix a mistake.

I don't think Han understanding Chewie literately is particularly important, as he understood him enough to function in-universe for the audience and thats is probably all that matters to many.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I love it when "You just don't like Ahsoka and therefore you are a TERRIBLE PERSON!" is thrown out as a counterpoint. [face_laugh]

I watched the OT, and if Dave Filoni thinks that only Ahsoka understands Chewie, maybe he should do the same.

Or...are people supposed to accept the dumbing down of Han Solo in order to elevate Ahsoka Tano because that's what Dave Filoni wants?

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  10. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Me on the whole who can and cannot understand Chewie:

[​IMG]

In all honesty, whether or not they understand him by what is being said, if a translator is doing the work for either, or if both Chewie or Ahsoka both understand him and Filoni is just talking out of his ***, it really doesn't matter. They both were able to effectively carry on a conversation.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Filoni could come out with a statement that clears this up, but he probably won't, for two reasons: one, it was four years ago and it's been talked about in several places since then, so if he were going to explain, I think he would have done so. And two, because if indeed the real reason is "I'm retconning Han and Chewie's story pray I don't retcon it any further in order to give Ahsoka more importance," he knows it would not go over very well with us old-school fans.

I'd like to think that there was some sort of misunderstanding, I'd welcome it because there is quite a bit I like about Filoni, I'm just not optimistic about that.

12. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Argument over whether Han can understand Chewie?

Abandon thread! Fall back! Fall back!

[​IMG]
    :p

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Just be thankful that Dave isn't in charge of canon.

Just be thankful.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Not yet anyway Dave is Like the Emperor just bidding his time.

15. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I for one welcome our new Filoni overlord. :p

TheMDOSS1313 and Werebazs like this.
  16. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    To be fair, no one said that she is the only one who can understand Chewie.

(That said, Han still understands Chewie in my book no matter what Filoni says).

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014

If Han couldn't understand Chewie, how could he possibly understand that Chewie was talking about Lando at Jabba's sail barge. Because Han obviously didn't know that Lando was there.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TESB:
    "Raaagh"
    "Found him in a junk pile?"

ROTJ:
    "Raargh."
    "Luke? Luke can't even take care of himself, much less rescue anybody"
    "Waaagh!"
    "A Jedi Knight?! Come on, I'm out of it for a while and everybody gets delusions of grandeur."

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Jedi Knight" and "junk pile" are emotions. Don't you know?

podjazd and CT-867-5309 like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If Chewie is "the family dog" as Randy Stradley put it, maybe "3PO's trapped in a junk pile" is the SW equivalent of "Timmy's trapped in a well"? :D

21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't get how people can take off the cuff comments from interviews (that make no sense objectively speaking) as canonical law. I don't give much weight to what they say in interviews. It's much better to let a work speak for itself. Same reason I ignore Lucas' "The Fetts were never Mandos" nonsense.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Something tells me that Filoni's statement was taken out of context. Who is he to decide whether or not Han understood Chewie, anyway? What was he, like 5 when the original Star Wars (ANH) came out?

23. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Qui-Gon should say to Filoni: "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent."

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was 5, and Filoni is younger than I am, so, 2 or 3 maybe.

If he was taken out of context, he's had time to clarify.

I agree though, it's not up to him to decide.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    As far as clarifying, has anyone actually asked him about that statement in the past four years or so since the convention?