main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No I'm not sure I do since, if we follow your argument, then PT Anakin (who is a child killing psychotic) is not OT Anakin (powerful Jedi/good friend who was tragically seduced to the Darkside) either and the exact same argument could be used for that. Hell TCW Anakin seems much more in line with the guy talked about In the OT, so the argument could even be put, that, that is the proper Prequel, rather than the PT.

It's not even just Anakin either, most of the characters and story lines are different. Hell I know if I was Darth Vader I would not be saying "Obi-wan once thought as you do" about the guy who just stood and watched me burn to death !

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought the writers of TCW showed Anakin's more cheerful and fun side, a side they did not have enough screen time (or were unwilling to allot enough screen time) to show in the PT. I did not think of TCW Anakin as "a different Anakin," but that may have been because I zeroed in on the speeder chase scene and the opening battle of ROTS, and most of you understandably did not, since those scenes were few and far between and the scenes where he acted petulant and downright stupid were more plentiful.

But that aside...the Jedi do not have to be written as "the bad guys" in order to make Anakin more sympathetic. Anakin can be written as a fun guy who was a little too passionate to follow the "no attachments" rule and little too impatient to engage in diplomacy, a little too willing to believe that the end justifies the means. All of those lead to his downfall without there being anything wrong with the Jedi. In fact, if Anakin fell because of anything the Jedi did, that takes the responsibility off Anakin, which is not OK. As I said, we were not supposed to find his mass murdering behavior sympathetic or justifiable.

I had no problem with the PT Jedi; they were a little too dogmatic and set in their ways but that happens to organizations that have not had a challenge in thousands of years.

3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Eh, I thought the Jedi were pretty well portrayed in TCW with the sole exception of:

- Ahsoka’s arc (mostly because was very one-side of the story)
    - Order 66 arc and that one episode in Season 1 about that that traitor clone. That came off as a poorly conceived attempt to make their Rexs and Codys as the bigger victims of Order 66. Especially that line about they all have nightmares. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I was quite happy with the Jedi portrayal in TCW. I couldn’t care about them in the PT (other than Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan) because they came across as too emotionless, empty characters, more furniture than actual people. TCW fleshed them out, it gave them admirable qualities and flaws and overall made them very empathetic characters.

Anakin’s issues with them is also something I’m glad it was explored because I wanted to know where Anakin’s “from my POV the Jedi are evil” came from. He certainly didn’t pull that out of his ass, and since I do know the Jedi are not evil, I always assumed it came from some past misunderstandings. Still not entirely explained, but I did like the way the arc where Obi-Wan faked his death played out. It was Obi-Wan’s idea and it made sense to me, even though Yoda had a some understanding reservations. Anakin took it the wrong way, and Palpatine fed into his frustrations. I liked that.

I never saw TCW as trying to portray the Jedi as villainous to make Anakin more sympathetic. Didn’t get that impression at all. He was right off the bat a more sympathetic character than in the PT even when he whined with no reason. I would agree that Ahsoka’s arc was told on a quite biased point of view because Ahsoka, and that did indirectly cast a positive light on Anakin, but then again, they did Clovis arc after that.

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Funny you mention that. as I still want to know, how Rex/Wolffe and Gregor all got there chips out, before Order 66 and why no others did.

The only time I felt the Jedi were portrayed bad, was the Boba Fett episode, with the whole training child soldiers to fight and die in the war.

I can't blame Anakin for that. Obi wan, his friend, lied and manipulated him, I'd be hurt too.
    In RotS Even Lucas said that Mace was wrong in attempting to just murder Palpatine, while the whole Military coup and "securing the senate for a peaceful transition"!
    What does that even mean. What if the Senate objects at being threatened and at they're Chancellor being murdered/executed, what do the Jedi do then !

5. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Well there was a Top Gun style arc with Rex and R2. Rex was meant to be injured there so I assume he gets them to look for a chip and then has it removed.
    If it's there, he probably then suggests his friends get it removed.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    But not Cody or anyone else, nor bothering to warn the Jedi ?

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Timing may come into play. Maybe the other two got theirs removed after Order 66, whereas Rex was the only one to get it removed before - with Rex analysing the removed chip and finding out what it does, as Order 66 is being given.

This might explain why Gregor is so weird and Wolfe somewhat paranoid - removing it after Order 66 might cause brain damage.

DarthAnakin96 and PCCViking like this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. In that Filoni's favorites got saved somehow. Not really sure why they bothered with the Clone Commando Gregor though. He was the silliest and unneeded one among them, almost a pet and comic relief. Personally I think his apparent heroic soldier death should've remained intact as he went out good story & character wise. Echo I can see going insane through the years, cause he was severely damaged and all borged out. But Gregor, I don't know.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  9. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Wait...you mean to tell me that Dave Filoni keeps characters around for far too long, making them redundant, superfluous and stale or ends up ruining them entirely through poor decision-making that undermines whatever potential that character possessed? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder: Had he not been thrown into a reactor, would Palpatine's eyes eventually have become red like Son's?

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Yeah, I didn't get the Gregor revival either. It kind of ruined what we remember from the droid arc of TCW.

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Gregor is also the most random choice of Clone Trooper to appear alone side Wolff and Rex, both of whom had previously shared battlefields. Gregor was just some MIA Commando, who as far as the Republic was concerned turned KIA. He had never met Wolff or Rex. Echo, on the other hand, has special connection to Rex, and could have easily filled the role of addled PTSD Trooper.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

That's a good point. One might suggest that Gregor's insane-in-the-membrane inclusion to that two-episode arc of Rebels was just to appease the younger audience of the series, but you don't have to take my word for it. Personally, I think it would've been fine with just the two Clones (Wolffe and Rex).

fett 4 likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The problem is that both Wolffe and Gregor showed up especially because not one of them have ever met on screen! Like what?

fett 4 likes this.
  15. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Yeah, would have personally preferred it to be Kix and Jesse - at least it would explain their association with Rex.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Plus it's got episodes featuring the best pairing in Star Wars history: Jar Jar and Mace Windu. [face_laugh]

As a Mace fanboy, those eps were comedic gold [face_laugh]

17. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Darkslayer Only one pal. I think you ninja'd your own post!

18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  19. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    What's the most underrated episode? Or arc?

20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  21. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
  22. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Can someone explain to me what Dragon Con is? I've heard about it over the past few days.

24. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    A dragon is/was a mythical animal/monster.

A Con is an abbreviation for Convention.

I assume that it has it's origins in Dungeons and Dragons seeing that Dragons don't actually exist at the moment or in recent history.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.